Room Measurement Tools

Superdave

The Dayton Omnimic is about as easy as it gets.  Install the software and calibration file, and you're ready to start taking measurements.  Kind of expensive for a strictly measurement tool. 

My recommendation is for REW.  It's free, but you will need a calibrated usb mic, <$100.  While it's a bit less user friendly, once you get up the learning curve it's got everything the Omnimic does, and then some.  

The Omnimic is a powerful tool with a lot of functions.  It is easier to use than REW and I use it for my subs.  The Omnimic paired with MCACC takes care of everything I need.  I have not explored setting filters since I don't use the MiniDSP.  Price wise using REW, mic and MiniDSP is not a lot cheaper than the Omnimic.  AVS has a forum section devoted to REW and is a great resource for help.  Omnimic can be up and running in 20-30 min. and you don't have to read thru a lot of stuff like REW.  There is a forum for Omnimic also.

• Like 1

The Dayton stuff looks like it provides a simple frequency response at the mike.  But REW gives you a time response, which is a lot more information.

But I wonder what anybody is supposed to do with the information.  Looking at the manual I don't see a description of something along the lines of "this is part of the graph shows something which is bad, and is making your system in your room sound bad, and here is what you should do about it."  Isn't that what you are looking for?

My guess is that sound absorbers around the speakers are the best investment you can make to cut down on early reflections.

How much I don't know.

Now, the following sounds silly, maybe.  But in the old days like 1600's, designers would make 1/6th or so models of concert halls to test them for acoustics.  I have a tub and shower and listen to a Sony "Tap Tunes" type radio while inside. 

Perhaps people here have the same test situation and could confirm.  Could this be a valid scale down of our living rooms?  Maybe not perfect but it is enlightening.

Sliding the door open just a foot removes a lot of harshness to an astonishing degree.  This might be equivalent to just 5 percent of absorbing material on the wallsl.  The opening equivalent to total absorption. 

My conclusion is that our living rooms are so reflective that just about anything in the way of absorption is a big improvement.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

Read through the first few posts here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1449924-simplified-rew-setup-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-how-interpret-graphs.html

REW is probably the best choice given there are several support forums and the software receives improvements.  Most use a calibrated mini dsp usb mic or this one:  http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html

Read through the first few posts here: http://www.avsforum....ret-graphs.html

This is very good reading material for REW. I'm going to read as much as possible so I'll have somewhat of a clue on how to perform the measurements and then how to possibly fix the issue(s) areas. Going to be a lot of trial and error.

Edit for (sic). 

Edited by Superdave