Hands on Comparison: RSW-15 vs. P312W

Guest Steven1963

From Steven comments, he is not a fan of the Palladium sub for the money or it would not be up for sale.  A lot of DIY subs will best it in the performance category.  I really think the Palladium sub was for a more targeted consumer that wants good looks and is not looking for stuff falling off the wall.  If I owned a Palladium system I would most likely consider a Palladium sub to go with the rest of the system and the aesthetics.

I think it'd be neat to measure THD of the two subs (maybe even outdoors), after using REW to level match them.  Have you tried REW, a calibrated USB mic, and an SPL meter?

What I've learned is so much of a sub's performance has to do with things like acoustical treatments, using a pair (or more) to help smooth the in room response, etc.  I finally got my subs to decay in less than 240ms all the way to 24 Hz (40dB down from 105dB using the waterfall plot in REW).  Quick decay time like that is crucial if you want tight bass.  Of course ensuring the frequency response is flat is important too.  It'd suck to have a big dip in the chest thump region.

Any ways, if you follow this thread and add another RSW-15, you'll have an awesome system for only ~$800 more, plus maybe another $80 for a calibrated mic, and some bass traps.

Using REW or something similar is a good things.  Caution must be used in applying acoustical Tx's.  They can make the bass better but, kill the Hi's.  Rooms built with the correct dampening are best but, to late for most of us that are not building a room from the ground up.  A lot of rooms can be well treated just by the furnishings.

Edited by derrickdj1

From Steven comments, he is not a fan of the Palladium sub for the money or it would not be up for sale.  A lot of DIY subs will best it in the performance category.  I really think the Palladium sub was for a more targeted consumer that wants good looks and is not looking for stuff falling off the wall.  If I owned a Palladium system I would most likely consider a Palladium sub to go with the rest of the system and the aesthetics.

I haven't heard it but surely it is super tight and clean on music.  I mean, a single 12 that has a triple thick baffle, 1,000 watts rms, weighs 95 pounds, and has it's own room correction functionality, I mean, for its size that goes way beyond a typical DIY project.  Now can you spend the same and have a funk nasty wall of 18's?  Sure you can.  And that's exactly what most people buying this does NOT want.  Regardless of the pretty veneer, anything better is probably going to be significantly larger, and that's just not desired for people with high end living rooms.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

Does anyone know if Klipsch still makes the preamp/amp for the RSW-15?

I just received a PM from a past employee state that Klipsch no longer makes these---Is there an after market supplier that makes these? BTW, how long does these things last? I've had my subs for over 12 years and have used them almost nightly for at least 2 to 3 hours a session.

Edited by tkdamerica

Thanks for posting that--Anyone have an experience with them?

Nope, but I like the note in red between steps 1 and 2. Kinda like "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

• 1 year later...

Was reading your comments on the p-312w 

I have one and also I did have a RSW 15 .

lost the RSW 15 in a basement flood! 

Anyway now I got the P-312w sounds great 

to me in many different ways then the RSW 15

but the RSW 15 was a killer loved it also . They 

should make them again for it would be a seller!

I only have the P-312w now but a friend wants to sell a SW-115 , I was wondering could I use this as a second sub for my setup or would it be a waste of money ( it's going cheap) ? 

I would plug off the P-312w . 

Would the sound just not be right or would it be 

find ? What's your feelings on this ?

IMG_5432.JPG

4 hours ago, charles m said:

I only have the P-312w now but a friend wants to sell a SW-115 , I was wondering could I use this as a second sub for my setup or would it be a waste of money ( it's going cheap) ? 

It is worth a try providing you get it cheap enough so you can sell it if things don't work out.  

I would plug off the P-312w

What does that mean?

Would the sound just not be right or would it be 

find ? What's your feelings on this ?

It could very well blend perfectly.  Be patient when setting up because it may take some time to get it "right".  Placement, phase, crossover, volume, all may be changed many times during your trial and errors.  Give yourself several hours alone and use different music and movie demos.

Bill