Did I mess up?

bass911

I read some consumer reviews and they seem to like the Synergy hg12 a lot, but looking at this forum people seem to not like it. I was dead set on just getting one r-115SW, but I decided to be cheap. I have a pair of rf82's, one rc62, Yamaha Aventage a800, and just bought 2 hg12's. I'm wondering how bad they really are and if I should return them? I got the 2 subs for $430 out the door on promo code. What should I do? I don't have any surrounds yet.

post-61224-0-48740000-1431837192_thumb.j

• Like 1

I was trying to get everything the same brand. I also could get 2 15 Dayton Audio for about the same price, I was worried about them only being 150 watts. I'm hoping the hg12 lives up to the 300 watt rating. I don't know how big of a factor weight is, but the Dayton 15s are over 20 pounds heavier. The Dayton 12 is even heavier but is rated for less power. I did demo the Klipsch Reference 12 with the rear port and it sounded pretty good. It wasn't perfect but still impressive. I figure the reference and hg12 should be close in sq and output? I will keep them if they don't sound like one note wonders on music.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.  Stop reading about bass  and looking at others systems.  Don't give into the darkside, lol.  It can get really, really expensive.  Enjoy your system for awhile and see how deep in the water you are willing to go. ;)   OTOH, get the money back while you can get a full refund, lol.  The correct answer is how big is the room, do I want things to shake, what can wife live with, the HT is in the basement, how loud do I like things and how much is my budget. :blink:

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

I'm gonna be the odd man out and say the sub-12 is kind of a boomy one noter. If you've never heard any really high end subs then they will probably rock your world. I had a friend with a pair and he loved them. Then I found him a smokin deal on a used Svs pb-13 ultra. Now he has dual R-115's. He sold his sub-12 to his neighbor and just kind of giggles when he hears it now. So IN MY OPINION, it's all relative to what you know. Let your ears tell you if they are worthy. One thing for sure if they are worthy to you then dual subs at 430$ is a good day for you.

Guest Steven1963

I'm sort of with Scrappydue. If you are new to these forums and it looks like you are (welcome!), then take what you bought back while you can and start asking questions here. In the long run, you will save ALOT of money because many in here can offer or direct you to deals on used equipment that will blow what you just bought out of the water. Saving you from the buying, then selling to upgrade process. Which can eat up funds like crazy. 

We don't know what your background is, but taking a wild guess I'd say you've never heard some of the higher end stuff Klipsch makes. Or some of the higher end subs other companies make. 

IF you are serious about your music or HT and want something YOU can love and be proud of and show off to your family and friends, my bottom line advice: take it back, be patient, ask ALOT of questions here and you can end up with something truly special. Don't even compare what you can have to what the store showroom presents to you - it's like night and day.

All views are respected here, and you might get alot of advice pulling you in different directions, but know that whatever you decide, you can be sure when you tell us what it is, we will congratulate you on it. Because in end, it's your money, your ears, and your decision.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 2

I'm sort of with Scrappydue. If you are new to these forums and it looks like you are (welcome!), then take what you bought back while you can and start asking questions here. In the long run, you will save ALOT of money because many in here can offer or direct you to deals on used equipment that will blow what you just bought out of the water. Saving you from the buying, then selling to upgrade process. Which can eat up funds like crazy. 

We don't know what your background is, but taking a wild guess I'd say you've never heard some of the higher end stuff Klipsch makes. Or some of the higher end subs other companies make. 

IF you are serious about your music or HT and want something YOU can love and be proud of and show off to your family and friends, my bottom line advice: take it back, be patient, ask ALOT of questions here and you can end up with something truly special. Don't even compare what you can have to what the store showroom presents to you - it's like night and day.

All views are respected here, and you might get alot of advice pulling you in different directions, but know that whatever you decide, you can be sure when you tell us what it is, we will congratulate you on it. Because in end, it's your money, your ears, and your decision.

Save a  lot of money ?? I am sorry are we in the same hobby :D  that is the first time I have heard that phrase attached to audio with a straight face, and I could not help but comment..........................

?  if he goes ahead and sets them up and listens for a day or 2 could'nt he still return them for full refund especially if he were getting some that are more expensive ??  I dont buy new so I have no idea how dealers act when you return a speaker / sub

Guest Steven1963

Ha!  If I knew then what I know now, I would have stayed out of those Best Buy type stores and saved myself THOUSANDS! But you're right, the journey is half the fun and inevitably, lots of cash is going to be spent. Nobody goes directly to audio heaven and stays put. It's a process.

• Like 1

Ha!  If I knew then what I know now, I would have stayed out of those Best Buy type stores and saved myself THOUSANDS! But you're right, the journey is half the fun and inevitably, lots of cash is going to be spent. Nobody goes directly to audio heaven and stays put. It's a process.

nicely put steve............................................hope you know I was just kidding  earlier  :D

I'm gonna be the odd man out and say the sub-12 is kind of a boomy one noter.

There's a bunch of subs in that price range that have that problem. I've heard people swear by the Polk PSW505 but those same people have never heard a decent sub setup in a home theater, they just know its pretty loud on music. My dad has a similar Sony and he thinks it is totally sufficient. A friend of mine is a multi-millionaire and he's got a similar cheap Polk and won't upgrade. It's kind of an ignorance is bliss thing, but telling them otherwise is offensive by default, so I try not to go there.

Anyway, people who are considering using this for home theater need to consider the weight on them if nothing else, they're only 40 pounds. That should tell you something.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

My background is mainly car audio so I do want things to shake. I'm not new to home audio, just new to this forum. I'm not looking for the dream setup. I just want something above average. I have no friends or family to impress because they like factory automotive sound or theater in a box. I know a lot of people and none of them care about Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, or Klipsch. I got my towers and center off Craigslist for $800. I joined because forums are the only way for me to connect with people that like what I like. I know all about svs and hsu, but I'm sure those may be too strong. I've got tickets and been to court for loud music because the neighbors called the cops. Those setups would be considered weak on this forum. I have 2 Yamaha ysp-3000s in 2 different bedrooms with 8" subs, and I'm satisfied with the performance. I know there's better setups, but these sound projectors do a pretty good job and kicks the crap out of skinny soundbars.

nice background and thanks for sharing, with your description I still think you should try what you have although I would bet scrappy is correct they will be 1 note-ish

That may ssuit your above described desires just fine  :D

I was so ANAL with a 2 ch set up I dared not delve into HT, However I had  many different subs and finding a musical one was at times a challange and was almost certainly more expensive

I'll tell you: Get what you had your heart set on in the first place.  It is psychological.  You will not be happy otherwise.  You've just about told us as much and you are asking for someone to validate you thoughts. 

What you've purchased are budget units, on sale, etc.  I've observed that there are people who get $20 dollars worth of satisfaction out of saving $5 and so they will spend $10 to do it.  But that doesn't sound like you.

Also, the Car Talk guys said, "It is the stingy man who pays the most." 

There are advantages to buying a budget starter system, as you have.  You'll just never believe (I expect) that you've achieved such advantages,  Even the pair function flawlessly, I wonder if you will not always have second thoughts.

I know there is an underlying question of how to spend money most wisely.  If it is a matter of a few $100 bucks, do what makes you happy.  There is some chance that if you have to sell the better unit to upgrade in the future, you'll be more likely to recoup your investment.

WMcD

I know all about svs and hsu, but I'm sure those may be too strong.

Nonsense. Your wrist muscles that control the volume knob on your receiver may be too strong but that's not the subs fault.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The subs should keep up with the receiver fairly well. Based on calculations, the 62 and 82's are capable of about 117db with that Yammy receiver, and that is exactly what those subs are rated at at 30Hz. Also, having dual subs allows you to reduce room mode dead zones if you position them in areas where they work best. Do not fall prey to positioning the subs by aesthetics. Subs NEVER sound best where they look best in a room. You have got to experiment to get the most out of dual subs. Grab a couple of long RCA stereo patch cords and try the subs in different places in the room.

If you have any pictures of the room, we can certainly give you best guesses as to where to place them.

Even if you don't keep them, knowing where subs are best placed should be universal to any pair of subs you buy.

Do you have room pictures?

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1