Did I mess up?

bass911

I'm gonna be the odd man out and say the sub-12 is kind of a boomy one noter.

There's a bunch of subs in that price range that have that problem. I've heard people swear by the Polk PSW505 but those same people have never heard a decent sub setup in a home theater, they just know its pretty loud on music. My dad has a similar Sony and he thinks it is totally sufficient. A friend of mine is a multi-millionaire and he's got a similar cheap Polk and won't upgrade. It's kind of an ignorance is bliss thing, but telling them otherwise is offensive by default, so I try not to go there.

Anyway, people who are considering using this for home theater need to consider the weight on them if nothing else, they're only 40 pounds. That should tell you something.

i will disagree on this one Cory. Weight is merely a spec that one could use to

Justify how well the cabinet is braced or how large the driver is. Id take the much lighter Svs sb-1000 over the sub-12. Won't be one notey by any means. Just my perspective on the weight comment.

i will disagree on this one Cory. Weight is merely a spec that one could use to

Justify how well the cabinet is braced or how large the driver is. Id take the much lighter Svs sb-1000 over the sub-12. Won't be one notey by any means. Just my perspective on the weight comment.

If you really had to choose between those maybe, but I still don't see how a 27 pound sealed 12" is going to produce decent LFE for home theater use. At 20 hz it is 11 db down from 60. I can see it complimenting some towers for music though, it seems very flat. You still can't get good sub-bass out of a lightweight box and driver though. All those lightweight 12's fall like a rock below 30 hz including this one. And by lightweight I'm including 48 pound ones.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

There's a bunch of subs in that price range that have that problem. I've heard people swear by the Polk PSW505 but those same people have never heard a decent sub setup in a home theater, they just know its pretty loud on music. My dad has a similar Sony and he thinks it is totally sufficient. A friend of mine is a multi-millionaire and he's got a similar cheap Polk and won't upgrade. It's kind of an ignorance is bliss thing, but telling them otherwise is offensive by default, so I try not to go there. Anyway, people who are considering using this for home theater need to consider the weight on them if nothing else, they're only 40 pounds. That should tell you something.

If you really had to choose between those maybe, but I still don't see how a 27 pound sealed 12" is going to produce decent LFE for home theater use. At 20 hz it is 11 db down from 60. I can see it complimenting some towers for music though, it seems very flat. You still can't get good sub-bass out of a lightweight box and driver though. All those lightweight 12's fall like a rock below 30 hz including this one.

but the conversation you quoted was the subwoofer being boomy. we aren't talking about output or depth. id take that svs any day over the sub-12. I've owned the svs sb-12nsd and depending on the size of the  room and volume listened at the sb-12nsd was VERy capable in my living room. i listened to all kinds of stuff at -10 and that sub played it back flawlessly. 

• Like 1

I appreciate everyone's input, but I think I'll keep them. I don't really see point of getting a bad azz hard hitting sub just to have neighbors complaining. I need to be on 2 acres or get a soundproofed room to enjoy my music. That's why I put all the hardcore speakers in my vehicle. I can get on the highway and blast away.

• Like 1

I appreciate everyone's input, but I think I'll keep them. I don't really see point of getting a bad azz hard hitting sub just to have neighbors complaining. I need to be on 2 acres or get a soundproofed room to enjoy my music. That's why I put all the hardcore speakers in my vehicle. I can get on the highway and blast away.

but the conversation you quoted was the subwoofer being boomy.

I guess I thought the "Anyway," comment switched gears enough. :)

"Anyway, people who are considering using this for home theater need to consider the weight on them if nothing else, they're only 40 pounds. That should tell you something."

No weight has nothing do do with boominess. It might very well have something to do with 20 hz at any respectable volume though. You can make a 200 pound sub boomy if you built it badly and/or tuned it high.

A friend of mine has one of these in a jeep:

http://www.jlaudio.com/ho110-w6v3-car-audio-h-o-wedge-subwoofer-systems-93310

Ungodly output.  I won't say "one note" but it is close to it.  Certain frequencies just rattle your teeth out.  Probably 40-50 hz.  Typical rap stuff.  You can hear it drop off even on rap.  If the frequency raises just a little bit then everything starts shaking violently.  

I don't think there will much difference in output but, the Reference looks better.  Seriously, if you really want a nice system and bass, also look at PSA, RA, SVS, HSU and DIY subs.  Really good bass cost a bit but, it is well worth it.  I started with an off brand Acoustic Audio, then the sub 12, PA 150, Epik Legend, SVS 31-25?, and some others.  I was never completely happy even though the subs were not bad.  Other had better and I wanted that same quality bass for my system.  This hobby can burn some cash but, a lot of us enjoy our systems daily and it is worth it.

I'm sticking with klipsch for this room. I'll use a more serious sub in another room. I just don't understand why the reference is more money? If klipsch's ratings are accurate, 100 watts seems like a big deal? The 12hg is heavier, plays lower, and has a bigger enclosure. Is the reference shielded or built better?

I was waiting on someone to respond to the last post, but no one did. I took the hg12s back. I really was trying to listen to the hg12 but the one on demo was blown. That turned me completely off, and I instantly knew they had to go. The hg12 amp plate and port was way bigger than the r-12sw. I know the hg12 being blown was not a good reason to get rid of them because I'm sure some dummy came to the store and was just careless and blew it. I exchanged them for 2

r-12sw.

Edited by bass911

I was waiting on someone to respond to the last post, but no one did. I took the hg12s back. I really was trying to listen to the hg12 but the one on demo was blown. That turned me completely off, and I instantly knew they had to go. The hg12 amp plate and port was way bigger than the r-12sw. I know the hg12 being blown was not a good reason to get rid of them because I'm sure some dummy came to the store and was just careless and blew it. I exchanged them for 2

r-12sw.

That is definitely a better looking sub. I think the HG subs look cheap. let us know what you think of it...

A friend of mine has one of these in a jeep:

http://www.jlaudio.com/ho110-w6v3-car-audio-h-o-wedge-subwoofer-systems-93310

Ungodly output.  I won't say "one note" but it is close to it.  Certain frequencies just rattle your teeth out.  Probably 40-50 hz.  Typical rap stuff.  You can hear it drop off even on rap.  If the frequency raises just a little bit then everything starts shaking violently.  

That's an interesting sub design. A first I thought it was a tapped horn knockoff, but upon closer inspection, it is actually a tapped flared port. I wonder why Tom Danley didn't come up with that, since he invented the technology...

• 2 weeks later...