Starting to look at headphones

The Dude

First question why don't I see a lot of love for Klipsch headphones around here on the forum? Is it a sound quality, or a structure quality(couldn't think of the right term).  Second I will be purchasing the Schiit Fulla in the next week or so, so right now I am in the research stage for head phones. 

Here is my current thought and budget, no more than $100.00 less is best.  Now I have been surfing the bay for Klipsch, Sennheiser, AKG, and Grado.  I have lots of different models with in that $100.00 budget.  Are there models to look out for, and what to look for or any worries on used headphones.  Now one thought I had is that there are some Skullcandy's for 100.00 at Radioshack with 50% off.   Is there anything wrong with any of those? I think that covers most of my question.  Now to see what your  recommendations are.

I'm considering a pair of the Status headphones myself still, but what I've heard is there's a slight comfort listening for long term sessions. I have a pair of B-stock Reference One's right now, and that definitely is the case with them, so I'm a bit weary of the Status phones...

That might be why?

Oh my, yes. I had a pair of old Pioneer's as my first pair of headphones. I couldn't tell you the model...but they were about the size of both my hands together on each side. Huge cups. But so comfortable and wonderful to listen with. :)

I know you said no more than $100, BUT here is the Grado SR80i that I use with my two channel setup.  Bought it used from a Forum member.  Amazon has a used one in great shape for $130 shipped.  Can't comment on the other Grado models but I get lost in the music with these.  Way more comfortable than my previous cans, Sannheiser HD-280. 

If you're going to be mobile with your Fulla and tossing your music stuff in a backpack, here's what I use.  Surprising sound (and bass) for the money and they're extremely comfortable.

Good luck in your search.

• Like 2

I have a few pair of Klipsch cans and I am not a big fan. They become tiresome and the bass is a bit light.  I have a dozen or so pair of Sennheiser and can attest that even the bottom of the barrel models offer good sound. The higher up the scale you go the more comfortable they get. Sound in any of the Sennheisers are fantastic. The HD600's and the upper end are phenominal. Here is an entry level Sennheiser on sale today from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1D914D2912&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL051915&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL051915&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL051915-_-EMC-051915-Index-_-AllHeadphonesAccessories-_-9SIA1D914D2912-S4A1C They actually sound pretty good, especially at that price.

There are a couple pair of Skull Candy that were not too bad, hit and miss.

The newest offerings from NAD, PSB, Grado and a few others are nice. Here are a couple of deals from AudioAdVisor.com 

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GRSR80E

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SE280PRO

• Like 1

The used Grado SR80i is now gone from Amazon. Coincidence, or did a forum member snag it?

It was a coincidence, I was watching a pair as well on the bay. They sold for around 85. I will keep my eye out. Thanks for the recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...