TV Question

dtel

• Moderators

Where have most of you bought your TV, online or local dealer?

Will be looking before long for something 60-65" led probably. Mostly for general tv, nothing special. I was worried about shipping and thought local would be easier if has a problem immediately.

Problem is locally (an hour away) is BB, Sams or HHGreg, that's about it.  

• Like 1

My Three TV's I've bought were either purchase at Best Buy (great experience) or American Appliance (horrible experience). The later of the two wrapped the screen in cling wrap as it was a floor model. Cling wrap. ON THE SCREEN.

It took forever to get it cleaned up.

I have bought most of my tv's from Best Buy. My best experience was directly from the Panasonic site where they offered free white glove delivery and set up. Glad I am not in the market now as I am a huge beliver in both Panasonic and plasma technology and that combo is no longer available...

• Like 3

Purchased my most recent TV online w/free shipping, I already knew the make/model that I wanted in advance. And despite being a new product release, I still saved about $400 over current advertised prices. They used a National delivery agent, took a bit of extra time & logistics for transport to my state, then went thru a local delivery agent for scheduled time/date delivery. They had a slight delay at some point, but offered additional $$$ off to make good. All my previous TV's were purchased thru local HT retailer. Had a regular sales guy for years, & generally offered 10-20% off anything, with free delivery. If a you have a particular model in mind, check with one of the Home Shopping Channels, they always have a sale or event going on, plus they offer free shipping so, good deals can be found. Should there be an issue upon delivery, they will offer an expedited replacement (no charge) or refund with (no-charge return shipping). I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a TV online & have it shipped, no complaints. Good luck.

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

Most of our tv's we got at Best Buy.....We were just there Sat night....took my daughters tv back...we got it at Best Buy on-line, came in UPS with a broken screen. My wife called and they told us to take it to the closest Best Buy store. It was no problem.....

I must say I started looking at some of the newer TV's...oh my....The 80" incher's...... the curved one's....the 4k one's....WOW they were some real nice one's.......I was telling my wife.......and she was like....Yeaaa....Soooo.......and I was like "ok"

MKP:-) 

Guest Steven1963

I just bought two T.V.'s at Best Buy. I won't buy them online and have them shipped. Not yet, I don't trust that process enough. Mind you I buy almost everything else online via Amazon and have it delivered. That process is practically flawless, but for T.V.'s I'm just a bit unsure. 

Best Buy was fine. I knew what I wanted (I already researched the models), so I just walked in and pointed and they fetched them.

Sidenote: my wife bought a couple coffee tables from an online sight called Wayfair. one of the tables arrived damaged (slightly). She called to arrange replacement/return and they told her to do whatever she wanted with the damaged table and that they would be sending a new one right away free of charge. They didn't ask for pictures or proof of damage. It was a $350 item. Online merchants are HUNGRY and are pretty much willing to do whatever it takes to earn your trust.

Bought my 1st big 56" Panasonic from Sears.

Bought my last 2, 65" LG & 60" Panasonic, through Amazon: the last 1 was shipped by Panasonic. Free Delivery & NO Sales Tax.

Both LG & Panasonic have bought back TVs unrepairable under warranty with generous terms...

Edited by Sancho Panza
  • Like 1

White Glove Delivery is essential: makes sure no damage before you sign...

I have bought most of my tv's from Best Buy. My best experience was directly from the Panasonic site where they offered free white glove delivery and set up. Glad I am not in the market now as I am a huge beliver in both Panasonic and plasma technology and that combo is no longer available...

• Like 1

I prefer to buy local.  We don't have a BB within 2 hours of my area.

I usually buy at two places local, Sams and Walmart, for one reason; excellent return policy.  Thirty days, no questions asked. 

Sams has a smaller selection, but what they have you usually want.  They have more of the more expensive high-end TV's, Walmart carries the lower-end models.

I like Walmart for the cheaper stuff because TV's are now a commodity.  If you know what you want all you are really shopping for is price.  I like to to buy TV's with good screens and no other features because I am not going to use the built-in speakers and any Internet features will be taken care of by a $99 Sony Blu-ray player. 

And in general, I like to buy cheap TV's (relatively) because prices are falling FAST on everything, and the standards for the top of the line (4K) is changing all the time. 

I have been burned many times by buying electronics for what they PROMISE they will do SOMEDAY.

I bought a Zenith VCR in STEREO many years ago for $700 back when everything was $200 because Zenith promised everything was going to be in stereo, and they were the first.  They were also the last, as stereo VCR's never happened, I never had even one stereo VCR recording.  :(

We're not even going to talk about my $1500 Sony Betamax.  :(  :(

Edited by wvu80

Bought my last flatscreen at Sears, then gave up on them for serious viewing (good movies).

Panasonic projector and big Seymour acoustically transparent projection screen provides us with a better picture (and sound) than we ever had before.  To avoid wearing out the projector bulb (they last up to about 3,000 hours) we do watch some programs on the regular TV. 

You may look at the TV weight in case you consider shipping. Our 40 inch flatscreen Sony came UPS in fine condition w/free ship of course from Amazon.

TV you are looking at it some bigger so, I do not know. There is something to be said about previewing a tv model live if undecided.

Know this does not help but.

Thinking that an in house local authorized Panasonic retailer, would give a body some silk glove treatment. Do know that my plasma is doing it. Would require 2 handlers for some sets, maybe. Safely.

Good Fortune dtel !

Edited by billybob

Bought mine at wally world.....but has anyone bought tv from crutchfield? I bought a lot of stuff from them years ago.. 3 head tape deck...Blaupunkt car radios....etc. they seem like good trust worthy place. In fact one of those car radios is still in my 74 Jensen Healey and working fine. The Akai tape deck is working good man that thing is old have to hand it to them. Rick

Edited by ricktate

always buy my Sony TV's online - best price plus free shipping and no tax

+1  just bought my 3rd Sony Direct they tossed in white glove service and a 4 yr warranty

http://store.sony.com/54.6-diag-x850b-4k-ultra-hd-tv-zid27-XBR55X850B/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs

I always buy last year model 1/2 price

Edited by A1UC
  • Like 2

always buy my Sony TV's online - best price plus free shipping and no tax

+1  just bought my 3rd Sony Direct they tossed in white glove service and a 4 yr warranty

http://store.sony.com/54.6-diag-x850b-4k-ultra-hd-tv-zid27-XBR55X850B/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs

I always buy last year model 1/2 price

We haven't talked warranty, but a 4-year warranty FOR FREE would be a good deal.  I usually don't buy extended warranties especially because these new HDTV's are incredibly reliable.  The last TV that didn't work out was those old DLP projections TV's.

+++

I also like your idea of buying last year's model at 1/2 price.  That sound like a good deal if you can find the model you're looking for.

• Like 1