TV Question

dtel

A 4 year warranty is not bad if they throw it into the deal. My 2003 tube Sony is still working fine. My 2006 Sony LCD is working fine. My 2009 Sony is still working fine. I do concur with the reliability but don't know

about other brands.

JJK

A 4 year warranty is not bad if they throw it into the deal. My 2003 tube Sony is still working fine. My 2006 Sony LCD is working fine. My 2009 Sony is still working fine. I do concur with the reliability but don't know

about other brands.

JJK

I agree on the warranty , they did toss it in to make the sale . Also another thing people don't know if you purchase electronics with your CC and lets say the item you purchased has a 1 yr warranty the CC also gives you 1 year so now you have 2 years , at least all mine do . Sony also offered me 2 years 0% so I just divided the total by 24 and setup automatic payment every month . Hard to beat all those perks

Amazon, Amazon, Amazon

Best buy can suck it. I use them for viewing pleasure and eval only anymore.

I usually grab a 3yr square trade if it is an expensive display purchase. Got a 3yr on my VT50 (one year left) with a $2500 value. My thought was making it into "affordable" OLED.

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks everyone, that was a lot of quick replies, like some said, I was a little nervous about shipping something that size and easily broken. I'm going to keep looking I kind of know what I'm look for and I definitely know the price.

Have a 65" now but it's on it's last leg, it's a CRT projection Toshiba, (1080i), it's has vertical lines until it warms up, can't complain it's almost 10 years old.

Looking for something 60-65" led, smart tv, 240Hz, laptop connection would be nice also because I don't really know what  "web browser" means as far as usefulness. 

I have been reading because I know very little about these newer models and just started bookmarking some I like, and when I'm ready just look for the best price. So far this is one that has what I'm looking for but there are more, I just need to look, I have pretty much limited it to models I can pick up without delivery where the price is right, but that might change if I can get something nice for a good price.

I really need to just find more models I like and watch for sales.........had a few more bookmarked but they all just disappeared from the bookmarks probably hit a wrong button or something ? Started looking again and added this

http://www.hhgregg.com/sharp-60-full-hd-1080p-240hz-aquos-q-led-smart-tv/item/LC60EQ10U

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

IF you like Smart Apps, keep in mind you may get different Apps on the TV than the Blu ray player, especially if they are different brands.

Very true. 

There are several smart apps (like Youtube) once you get to the menu, but the remote on my Sony BD player has dedicated buttons for the SEN (Sony Entertainment Network) and Netflix, both apps require monthly subscriptions or PPV fees.  SEN has movies for $5 bucks and then it goes away after 24 hours. 

There is also a generic unix based browser on the menu, but it is so unwieldy via the remote controller as to be functionally useless.  The Facebook app is brain damaged and is clunky to use with only a fraction of the features the PC version enjoys.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

• Moderators

IF you like Smart Apps, keep in mind you may get different Apps on the TV than the Blu ray player, especially if they are different brands.

That's true, seems like the Samsung's and Toshibas have the same apps as my BR player, LG, Vizio, and Sharp have different apps.

• Like 2

bought my 65" from amazon, and my 50" from best buy. got the Panasonic 55" after my sony 50" quit on me. it was a no cost trade since I had the extended warranty. pretty painless transaction also. they tried to repair the sony, but the part(s) were not available.

I was very pleased the way bb handled the transaction!

• Moderators
There is also a generic unix based browser on the menu, but it is so unwieldy via the remote controller as to be functionally useless.

That's what I was thinking with one of the TVs I was reading about, it has a web browser built in, but you flip over the remote and it has a keyboard built in, that would not be easy to operate I would imagine, I have a hard time with a normal keyboard. But I read you can use a USB with a portable keyboard on some models.

• Like 1

My 2003 tube Sony is still working fine. My 2006 Sony LCD is working fine. My 2009 Sony is still working fine. I do concur with the reliability but don't know about other brands. JJK

I read the stats somewhere, but I can't remember where.  Due to automated manufacturing and high quality control the failure rate on HDTV's is a small fraction of 1%.

For only a little more I'd go 4K:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-P602ui-B3-60-4K-Ultra-HD-240Hz-Full-Array-LED-Smart-TV/36125833

Thanks everyone, that was a lot of quick replies, like some said, I was a little nervous about shipping something that size and easily broken. I'm going to keep looking I kind of know what I'm look for and I definitely know the price.

Have a 65" now but it's on it's last leg, it's a CRT projection Toshiba, (1080i), it's has vertical lines until it warms up, can't complain it's almost 10 years old.

Looking for something 60-65" led, smart tv, 240Hz, laptop connection would be nice also because I don't really know what  "web browser" means as far as usefulness. 

I have been reading because I know very little about these newer models and just started bookmarking some I like, and when I'm ready just look for the best price. So far this is one that has what I'm looking for but there are more, I just need to look, I have pretty much limited it to models I can pick up without delivery where the price is right, but that might change if I can get something nice for a good price.

I really need to just find more models I like and watch for sales.........had a few more bookmarked but they all just disappeared from the bookmarks probably hit a wrong button or something ? Started looking again and added this

http://www.hhgregg.com/sharp-60-full-hd-1080p-240hz-aquos-q-led-smart-tv/item/LC60EQ10U

.... Looking for something 60-65" led, smart tv, 240Hz, laptop connection would be nice also because I don't really know what  "web browser" means as far as usefulness. ...

I've been browsing the web from my TV since 1997 (via the PS3). If you've yet to experience that option.... it's kinda like before Tivo & the DVR. It's something you didn't know you wanted/needed....  until after you had it. Now I couldn't imagine having a TV that didn't provide that feature. I access the web via TV everyday, Good luck!

Edited by Nismo

Since I am building a mini HT around my 50 inch plasma, I just hooked up my white wireless Dell keyboard with mouse and usb receiver. Just got it and hooked up last night. Flawless so far, just put batteries in mouse/keyboard and plugin usb and done.

Using PC from comfort of easy chair. PIP enables me to keep an eye on my stocks while talking to you. ;)

• Moderators
For only a little more I'd go 4K:

Going to add that to the bookmarks, thanks, I wasn't even looking at anything that said 4K, but if it has what i'm looking for I should.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

• Moderators

.... Looking for something 60-65" led, smart tv, 240Hz, laptop connection would be nice also because I don't really know what  "web browser" means as far as usefulness. ...

I've been browsing the web from my TV since 1997 (via the PS3). If you've yet to experience that option.... it's kinda like before Tivo & the DVR. It's something you didn't know you wanted/needed....  until after you had it. Now I couldn't imagine having a TV that didn't provide that feature. I access the web via TV everyday, Good luck!

Since I am building a mini HT around my 50 inch plasma, I just hooked up my white wireless Dell keyboard with mouse and usb receiver. Just got it and hooked up last night. Flawless so far, just put batteries in mouse/keyboard and plugin usb and done.

Using PC from comfort of easy chair. PIP enables me to keep an eye on my stocks while talking to you. ;)

When we were at our daughters a while back I was playing with there Tv, it had the wireless keyboard connected and worked great. What they were using was a laptop with a broken screen which was set behind the Tv and connected, it worked great. Just need to find a tv that will do that without the laptop, or with a laptop.

Part of the problem with apps is your limited to what they offer sometimes, and connected to a computer you can get anything, YouTube videos would be nice. many times I see videos I would like to hear without headphones or crappy computer speakers, mine died anyway and the little speakers built into the monitor is not good and you can barely hear them.

• Like 1

• Moderators

To be honest I am hoping the digital out ( optical ) has decent sound so I can run it to the stereo, that would be nice. It looks like the digital output is on all TV's now.

• Like 1