Mallette, is this you?

Mien doppelganger.  I would have added 78s to his list of old recordings that can sound better than the latest high res.  His take on tubes might look like a put down, but not much.  He's old enough to have lived through the whole big debate about the audible impact of 2nd order harmonic distortion and that it's "warming" and "fattening" of the sound is quite compelling to many...hence his "...if you like..." in front of it because he knows many do! 

Surprised he didn't mention third order, as it is much less debatable.  It's not a "fetish" that electric guitarist insist on tubes.  The third harmonic is an Ionian Major Scale Fifth above the second harmonic, and playing in fifths is fundamental to a lot of rock and roll. 

All things considered, the Peter Aczel is the voice of  TRVTH.

Dave

• Like 1

Are we all suppose to crawl inside our coffins and die????

I don't know about you but I can't get a Concert Hall inside my house...

Nor can I have Zakk Wylde come to my home and perform his magic...

If there was one magic system that sounds exactly like what he is looking for than we wouldn't be here discussing audio nirvana. No more going to your buddy's house for a beer and a listen....

Not everyone is into Orchestra music...I can't stand it....I think it is boring

1. The principal determinants of sound quality in your listening room, given the limitations of a particular recording, are the loudspeakers—not the electronics, not the cables, not anything else. This is so fundamental that I still can’t understand why it hasn’t filtered down to the lowest levels of the audio community. The melancholy truth is that a new amplifier will not change your audio life. It may, or may not, effect a very small improvement (usually not unless your old amplifier was badly designed), but the basic sound of your system will remain the same. Only a better loudspeaker can change that. My best guess as to why the loudspeaker-comes-first principle has not prevailed in the audiophile world is that a new pair of loudspeakers tends to present a problem in interior decoration. Swapping amplifiers is so much simpler, not to mention spouse-friendlier, and the initial level of anticipation is just as high, before the eventual letdown (or denial thereof)

DING, DING, DING! WINNER, WINNER, WINNER! Of course we at the Klipsch Forum knew that.

I think Mr. Mallette is only one of many here that hold most of Mr. Aczel's tenets of Audiophiledom to be TRUTH.

• Like 1

I don't know about the 78's sounding better,

The question is "better than WHAT?"  Listening to my Benny Goodman band recording of "Sing, Sing, Sing" with Gene Krupa doing things to drums no child should be exposed to it is as it should be:  It is NOT about the medium, it is about the music, the performance, and the engineering. 

A 24/192 surround recording of this done by some modern band with 30 microphones, a mixer, musicians that might be technically qualified but did not LIVE this music, and an engineer from some big school with techknowhow but no ears is no match for the thrill of giants of performance, engineering and delivery by whatever means they had to work with.  That is what the music lover is after.  SN ratio?  WHO CARES!  You can't fix crap. 

Bear in mind I am assuming the clean amplification and Klipsch speakers, i.e., a first class playback chain. 

The one I reference is very wide range, but my acoustic recording made some 20 years earlier of Kid Ory doing "Muskrat Ramble" also totally transcends the available technology.

Dave

• Moderators

Me too . . . . until LarryC lent me a Teaching Company course called How To Listen To and Understand Great Music by Dr. Greenberg, AND I went to a Klipsch get together in Marland to attend a concert with about 20 others for a performance of Holst's The Planets. From there to crying at operas, well some operas.

You can get pretty close to that level of emotion with Jubilees.

No idea of what you mean by "orchestra music," as Peter did not specify any specific source other than acoustic.  There is a good reason for that.  If you do not listen to acoustic music, then any pursuit of accuracy or high fidelity is entirely subjective as the source material is synthetic. 

Not that there is anything wrong with that.  I listen to plenty of synthesized music (anything that requires electricity) but do not use it to judge a system. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette