WTB Klipsch KV-4 - Found - Impressions

kapsnb01

If anyone has a KV-4 that they'd like to let go of, I'd like to give it a try between my Epic CF-3s. Been running the old phantom center, but would like to see how things sound with a true center. Would like the 4 to be in nice condition. If you have one that you're interested in letting go of, please let me know, along with what you'd want for it shipped to MN. Thanks!

Edited by kapsnb01

If anyone has a KV-4 that they'd like to let go of, I'd like to give it a try between my Epic CF-3s.  Been running the old phantom center, but would like to see how things sound with a true center.  Would like the 4 to be in nice condition.  If you have one that you're interested in letting go of, please let me know, along with what you'd want for it shipped to MN. Thanks!

I would suggest using Search Tempest to do a search around cities in the Midwest.  Could have sworn I saw one for sale recently.  Good luck.

Interesting, the KV-4 has the K-64-KN CD, as opposed to the K-63-KN in the CF-3.  I wonder what the differences in the CD's are?

Also I found this for your amusement, free for nothing.  :)

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148582-kv-4-vs-klf-c-7/

Appeciate the link.  I've vacilated back and forth between those 2 also, but I've read a couple times that the 4 is the better sonic match to the Epics while the C7 was built to match the KLF's.  Don't know how accurate that is, but if I can't find a 4, I'll probably end up giving the C7 a try instead.  Those seem to be the easier to find of the 2.

but I've read a couple times that the 4 is the better sonic match to the Epics while the C7 was built to match the KLF's.

Maybe put a call for both, and see what the market bears?

+++

I know I am in the minority on this, but I find the concept of timbre matching L/C/R way over rated. 

On my 5.1 system dialog comes mostly out of the mismatched center, music comes out of the L/R, with birds chirping and the occasional off-screen gun shots coming out of the surrounds. 

Yes, I know if a person walks from L to R across the screen talking blah blah blah it isn't "timbre matched," but honestly, how often does that happen, and does it really bother someone if it isn't 100% perfect?  I would rather have crystal clear dialog anchored to the center.

My vote would be for you to get the best center you can lay your hands on.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

but I've read a couple times that the 4 is the better sonic match to the Epics while the C7 was built to match the KLF's.

Maybe put a call for both, and see what the market bears?

+++

I know I am in the minority on this, but I find the concept of timbre matching L/C/R way over rated. 

On my 5.1 system dialog comes mostly out of the mismatched center, music comes out of the L/R, with birds chirping and the occasional off-screen gun shots coming out of the surrounds. 

Yes, I know if a person walks from L to R across the screen talking blah blah blah it isn't "timbre matched," but honestly, how often does that happen, and does it really bother someone if it isn't 100% perfect?  I would rather have crystal clear dialog anchored to the center.

My vote would be for you to get the best center you can lay your hands on.

I don't think I'd be unhappy with a C7, if that's the route that I end up going.  The one downstream on the Garage Sale is definitely tempting and I may yet contact the seller.  Just waiting a bit to see if a KV-4 pops up.  Ideally, I'd put another CF-3 in the middle, but those don't come up very often (at least within reasonable proximity and you'd almost have to match the versions), and the current room would need some major reconfiguring to make it work anyway. 

Stay on track with the KV-4, the KLF-C7 may look similar in design and specifications but it will NOT sonically match your CF-3's.  The tweeter in the KV-4 is far more robust that the one in the KLF-C7.  Don't compromise you will thank yourself later.  Yes it is more tricky to find but they do crop up.

• Like 1

The KV-4 and the KLF-C7 are nearly identical size, nearly indistinguishable (the KV-4 only came in black vinyl). 

I believe the different is the diaphragm in the KV-4 was designed to match the CF series.

There is a KV-4 in Indy area, great price too:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/4995381699.html

Thanks for the link...sent an email so we'll see if they're willing to ship.  Great price though.

Stay on track with the KV-4, the KLF-C7 may look similar in design and specifications but it will NOT sonically match your CF-3's.  The tweeter in the KV-4 is far more robust that the one in the KLF-C7.  Don't compromise you will thank yourself later.  Yes it is more tricky to find but they do crop up.

And that's what I've read on the KV-4 as well...which is why I wanted to go this way if I could find a good one.  I've had a mismatched center before and it always bugged me a little bit...not a lot, but just enough that I'd notice it.  That's why I lean towards the KV-4 (although they are the harder one to find).  If I can't find a KV-4, then I'd try the C7, but I'm not in a hurry right now, so I have time to wait out a 4 popping up.

• Like 1

That looks like a great deal in that link, I'd jump on that! In my opinion, the KV-4 bests the C-7. It projects a much bigger voice and is very clear and pronounced. They do come up fairly often so I'd hold out for one over the C-7, especially since you have the CF-3's. If you decide to mis-match I'd go with the RC-7 over the C-7 as its better than the kv-4 and the C-7 in my opinion, same big sound as the kv-4 but just better high end sparkle with more better bass response. Good luck which ever way you decide to go!

Thanks for the link...sent an email so we'll see if they're willing to ship. Great price though.

There are several forum members in Indy that might be nice enough to help out, if he isn't willing to ship.

Yeah, we'll see...been posted for 25 days and so far no response to the e-mail. 

Yeah, we'll see...been posted for 25 days and so far no response to the e-mail.

That's a bad sign.  It's been my experience that sometimes people on CL sell their item and then don't take the ad down, letting it expire after 30 days.

While upgrading my CF-4's I searched for the DH1506's for four months before finding them.

I will throw in my 2 cents as well.  I have a pair of CF3's.  I have had both center speakers in my room at the same time. Had the C-7 first and wanted to try the KV-4 as well.  I Tried them in several configurations just for fun.  Set them as a left and right mains to see how they would perform that way and they did quite well together and a matched set crossed over with subs would make a fantastic home theater front 3.  I also tried them as rear speakers as I wondered how a pair of C-7 would work doing rear duty as I was also contemplating getting another CF3 to use as a kick *** center channel. That way I would have 5 speakers with about the same efficiency all the way around.  I stood them on end, placed on tall stands behind the couch. They were powerful used that way, very dynamic, adding great impactful bass slam to movies and concerts and would make excellent surround speakers, just too big to be used that way in my room as it is set up, otherwise I would do so.   As center channels, I preferred the C-7 over the KV-4. From a perspective of looks, the C-7 comes in many flavors of wood, mine are in mahogany, it looks great and looks way better than the boring black of the KV. I also liked the sound better. The C-7 weighs about 8 pounds more than the kv and just felt more solid and damped to me.  To my ears the KV sounded a little hollow, not as refined, not as smooth.  I sold it. 

Edited by shiva

I agree with you on that the wood finishes on the C-7 are a nice option. The build quality however is severely  lacking in the C-7 as I know 2 people who own them and both have experienced the flapping baffle problem that the larger KLF's are known for. I've owned over a half dozen KV-4's, kept and used a pair for a couple years and never had the same problem nor have I heard or read about anyone else having that same problem.

This is looking like another one of those situations where there are going to be varying opinions, it would probably be best to buy both and compare them yourself and see what you prefer. :D  If you get a good enough deal you can always recoup your money on the one you don't want.

I would strongly recommend looking into the RC-7 as an alternate, as I stated in my last post I think it is better than the two you are considering.

You don't buy or add a center by the way it looks or the finish it has, you buy it because it is the MOST important speaker in your home theater that all the other speakers anchor to.  That is why you want the correct timbre' matched speaker in that position.  The KV-4 is the only center channel that Klipsch has produced that uses a 2" compression (tweeter) driver and handles 200W.  To say it sounds hollow is just plain silly. 

it is the MOST important speaker in your home theater that all the other speakers anchor to. That is why you want the correct timbre' matched speaker in that position.

Which is exactly why I'll wait patiently until I find one. Since the 4 is what Klipsch intended to be the center for the CF-3s, I want to first give that a try. If for whatever reason I don't like how they image together, I can always try the KLF or even the RC7. But, I'd rather first try the 4, then if I decide to try the others, I can A/B compare them to the 4.

You don't buy or add a center by the way it looks or the finish it has, you buy it because it is the MOST important speaker in your home theater that all the other speakers anchor to.  That is why you want the correct timbre' matched speaker in that position.  The KV-4 is the only center channel that Klipsch has produced that uses a 2" compression (tweeter) driver and handles 200W.  To say it sounds hollow is just plain sily

Edited by shiva

If anyone has a KV-4 that they'd like to let go of, I'd like to give it a try between my Epic CF-3s. Been running the old phantom center, but would like to see how things sound with a true center. Would like the 4 to be in nice condition. If you have one that you're interested in letting go of, please let me know, along with what you'd want for it shipped to MN. Thanks!

Here's one down in Houston... Looks good with a good price.

https://houston.craigslist.org/ele/4985724652.html