Chorus I Placement and Port Mod

Mack

Hi all!  I'm curious about how far from the rear wall should the Chorus I's be?  I don't have 2 good corners so corners are not an option.  And there is a thread somewhere on here about modifying the ports to extend the bass response.  Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.   

This speaker is essentially the Cornwall.  And from what I know, the Cornwall is meant to be against the wall or in a corner, hence the name.  So why the difference?

Edited by Mack

Near a wall or corner will deliver the most bass but, it may be boomy or out of proportion to the rest of the sound.  Experiment a little and see if the bass is lacking.  This is a very good speaker.  Most of us will still have speakers near a boundary in a typical room and not setting in the middle of a room.  Within 3 ft. of a boundary will reinforce the bass.

• Like 1

Hey Mack: welcome to the forum. I think that you are going to waste a lot of your time and learn very little asking for opinions. Tuning the vents of a Chorus lower is very simple to do you only need experiment with paper or plastic rolled up to fit into the openings and you can listen to any length vent that you want. I would suggest that you re tune no lower than 3 - 4 Hz which will impress you even though it does not sound like a lot. Find a disk with test tones or save some from an on line site and the rest is easy. The standard re tuning info on line is to insert some 6 or 7 inch long vents into a Chorus and you can go with that if you want to. With a test tone you simply dial in the length of tube which results in the woofer not moving when the tone is played and you are done. The Klipsch site data says the Chorus is already 3db down at 45 Hz so I would in this case choose a test tone of 40 or 41 Hz and as I said adjust the vent length until the woofer appears to stop moving when you play the desired test tone and you are done. What distance from the wall you decide upon will depend more upon you and your taste than on anything else. Some effort is required and it is well spent time as you will learn a lot. While speaker position impacts output level at low frequencies it does not change the vent tuning frequency at all. The pro style woofer in the Chorus (and Chorus ll) probably does not tune quite as low as a K33 will but they will be close to each other I expect the K33 is good foe a few Hz lower but it will not handle the power a Chorus woofer will. I hope that this helps. Best regards Moray James.

WARNING>>>NON_AUDIOPHILE INFO

I read on another site that I should try port tubes in my Chorus Is that are about 7" long to get the bass a little lower. I bought eight 4.5" x 4" port tubes from a guy on ebay...cost about 25bux shipped. I cut off 2.5" of 4 of the tubes and taped/glued them to the other 4 to give me 4 tubes 7" long. They fit loosely so i used several wraps of duct tape to get them to fit the openings of the speaker. to test i used a mp3 called "bass hit"...its an old song that the kids played back in the day to rattle everything in their cars. It has a point in the song where the bass hits 4 low notes in sequence getting progressively lower. Without the port tubes, note 3 was about half the volume of notes 1 and 2 with note 4 being almost non existant. With the port tubes installed note 3 was as loud as 1 and 2 and note 4 was much quieter but definitely audible/felt. I do not know what frequency these notes are but it did make a difference. For 25 bux you cant beat it. Sorry it wasnt more technical and scientific but it works. :)

this link will be dead one day but here is where i got my tubes...ordered on friday and received on Monday...from Arkansas. to Georgia

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Port-Tube-Subwoofer-Sub-Woofer-Speaker-Box-Pro-Audio-/300412946335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f201c79f

Cornwall was dropped and the Chorus was very much the loudspeaker which took up the slack and sold better than Cornwall. Some Cornwall owners get bent out of shape and take things personally but the Chorus has a better woofer and a smaller cabinet along with a better mid horn (Chorus ll). The two speakers don't sound the same and I am sure some prefer one over the other. Don't wast your time thinking of names walls and corners. Best regards Moray James.

Klipsch K-1545_K-1548-3 chorus woofer.pdf

Klipsch Chorus Lynn Olsen Mod.htm

post-44375-0-58580000-1432167335_thumb.j

post-44375-0-43700000-1432167350_thumb.j

Edited by moray james
  • Like 3

This speaker is essentially the Cornwall.  And from what I know, the Cornwall is meant to be against the wall or in a corner, hence the name.  So why the difference?

Hi Mack, and welcome to the forum....may I ask how you formed this opinion, that the Chorus I is essentially a Cornwall?

It is my understanding that Klipsch actually discontinued the Cornwall with the introduction of the Chorus line and that the Chorus I was actually the replacement for the Cornwall (II.) The Chorus I used the same tweeter and mid horn / driver as the Cornwall II, they just changed the dimensions of the cabinet and upgraded the woofer to a commercial grade, pro type driver. If you compare the specs side by side they are nearly the same.

• Like 1

It is my understanding that Klipsch actually discontinued the Cornwall with the introduction of the Chorus line and that the Chorus I was actually the replacement for the Cornwall (II.) The Chorus I used the same tweeter and mid horn / driver as the Cornwall II, they just changed the dimensions of the cabinet and upgraded the woofer to a commercial grade, pro type driver. If you compare the specs side by side they are nearly the same.

OK, so go ahead and listen to a pair of Chorus and a pair of Cornwalls side by side, same source, same media, everything.  They are totally different.  The Chorus did not "replace" the Cornwall, it was a different speaker.  Cabinet dimensions make an enormous difference, and even with the same tweeter and mid will perform differently.   The specs are rather meaningless.

Up against the wall as no rear passive radiator, I have found is the best for bass with the Chorus 1. 

Found a thread or 2 before here so do a search on the website.

Busy at the moment, but can maybe find a little on it. Can almost tell you about it if cannot find, or others here familiar. Port extension that is.

Edited by billybob

I just checked both of the spec sheets and it seems the Cornwall II and the Chorus I were built at the exact same time. The Cornwall II 1986-1990 and the Chorus I 1987-1990. Learn something new every day.

Edited by jjptkd
  • Like 2

Hey Mack....Welcome to the forum

Just my 2 cents....I have my ChorusI's about 12" off the wall, I will bring them off the wall sometimes and sometimes I push them back a bit.....but for the most part there about a foot. Now my ChorusII's they stay closer to the wall.

Now the port thing.....I've never played with the ports on mine......but hey give it a try.....see what you like....play with it.

I have never put my Chorus in the corner and when I owned Cornwall never put those in the corner.

Now imho the Chorus and the Cornwall are two different speakers. I have owned both....I like the Chorus line...that's me

Have fun with your audio....

MKP :-)

• Like 3

read page 9 of the Speaker Builder article (attached) to see tat the Chorus was in fact intended to replace the Cornwall. Good article. Do the Chorus and the Cornwall sound the same? I would say no but there is no doubt that the Chorus was the replacement for the Cornwall and that the guys in the design team thought the Chorus was/is a better loudspeaker. Which one you might prefer is as always a personal choice.

Klipsch_Cornwall_Test_Report.pdf

Klipsch Speakerbuilder Interview.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.

Hearing from the creators themselves talk about their products in an interview is always interesting moray james.  As for the port, would the material of the tube make a difference in the sound?  Also, would it lower the volume of the overall bass by lowering the tuning?  And the schematic for the crossover reminds me... I see a lot of people on here replacing the old capacitors with new ones.  I've looked at the capacitors on mine and there doesn't seem to be any swelling or leaking.  So would replacing them with the exact same capacitor still make a difference?          

jimjimbo I have heard about the relationship between Chorus and CW a few times, but I didn't know for sure.  And now thanks to moray I have evidence to confirm it.  Thanks moray!

• Like 1

re tuning your reflex vents (you have two per cabinet now the thickness of the baffle which is 3/4") by extending the length will simply lower the centre frequency of the vents which load the driver. All that means is that the speaker (woofer) can play lower than it did with the original frequency tuning. Tuning lower will cost you a very small amount of efficiency which you are not going to notice. New caps of high quality will sound better than the stock factory capacitors do how much you spend is up to you. You can ear test caps in your preamp input to see what they sound like costs you only two caps to do that. I think that most folks who are changing out old caps also want to upgrade at the same time. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Nice article Moray, thanks for that! That confirms what I thought all along about the Chorus. In my opinion both Chorus models are a step above the Cornwall. In fact, I'd really like to see a Chorus III come out with a larger mid horn like the 510.

Personally, I wouldn't change the tuning of the Chorus, if you lack bass or are missing lower frequencies I'd add a subwoofer or two.

• Like 3

I have tried a sub (velodyne DEQ 10R) and it just doesn't mate well.  It seems sluggish and lacks definition compared to the Chorus' bass.  Sounds like a thud rather than an instrument.  And I totally agree with you about the Chorus III.  It would be a repeat from the 80s by replacing the Cornwall again :lol:

"there is no doubt that the Chorus was the replacement for the Cornwall and that the guys in the design team thought the Chorus was/is a better loudspeaker"

Horsefeathers.

The Chorus was inferior to the Forte, much less the Cornwall II.

I made the Klipsch rep listen to all three (circa 1988), and he just frowned.

Shortly thereafter Klipsch came out with the MKII versions of the Forte and Chorus, and the new Forte sounded inferior to the new Chorus.

The original Chorus was deliberately mistuned, with the misguided idea that it would have as much 'punch' and 'slam as' the Klipschorn (it didn't).

Try making the ports of the Chorus 7" long, I think you will find it sounds better.

The Chorus was inferior to the Forte, much less the Cornwall II.

The original Chorus was deliberately mistuned, with the misguided idea that it would have as much 'punch' and 'slam as' the Klipschorn (it didn't).

Well, you know what they say about opinions... :lol:

I've had several sets of both Chorus models and have compared them head to head. I was kind of surprised to find that they sounded more alike than different and the biggest difference I could hear was in the mid horn, bass response seemed nearly the same.

From what I understand the Chorus I has one of the flattest response curves out of all the older Klipsch speakers, see attached chart.

post-58550-0-00100000-1432302816_thumb.j

Edited by jjptkd

I have tried a sub (velodyne DEQ 10R) and it just doesn't mate well.  It seems sluggish and lacks definition compared to the Chorus' bass.  Sounds like a thud rather than an instrument. 

You will need a quality sub(s) to mate with the Chorus speakers. The Klipsch RSW & RT line work quite well. I've used a Velodyne FSR-15 for awhile and it blended in fine. The Sunfire Truesubs work too in small to mid-sized rooms if crossed over at a lower setting, somewhere around 50-60hz.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting with port tubes and you might find it sounds better with whatever extension you gain from them but, you're never going to get the "full" bandwidth (down to 20hz or even 32hz for that matter) so I'd recommend a sub anyway.

"From what I understand the Chorus I has one of the flattest response curves out of all the older Klipsch speakers, see attached chart."

Your chart shows the Forte is smoother, and it shows the mistuned peak in the bass that i referred to.

"Well, you know what they say about opinions..."

Yeah, a deaf person's opinion doesn't count.

Music is the final arbiter, whatever sounds the most real.