1963 Khorns High Frequency Problems

gacljg

I recently purchased a pair of vintage Khorns, approximately from 1963. One speaker plays fine while the other has little to no high frequencies. I switched the K55 drivers from one speaker to another. Both K55 drivers seem to work fine in the one speaker, while not working in the other. Respective drivers from one speaker have the same impedance as the drivers in the other speaker. I've swapped out amps and cables. I've also reversed pre-amp to amp connections for left to right and changed output connections on preamp. Loosened and retightened internal wire connections on both speakers. When speakers are disconnected from amps, both speakers have the same impedance at the main terminals. Everything looks original, including the old cross-overs and capacitors. I do not know how to check cross-overs or capacitors. One speaker sounds fine while the other has no high frequencies. Pre-amp is Conrad Johnson PV8. Amps are MV60SE factory monoblocks. Hoping someone can offer some advice.  It's late here so I will check post tomorrow.

You have a bad cap or maybe a bad connection. Check all the wire connections pull them off and clean them.

Any sign of cap leaks? Speakers that age you need to call Bob Crites he will get those crossovers freshened up and working

Like new. Good luck cool find post some pics!,

• Like 1

Welcome. You will enjoy those speaker.

It's the crossover. Swapping the K55s was essentially the same as .swapping the crossovers. By all means, swap the crossovers too, to be certain. If you're not able to service the crossovers yourself, contacting Bob Crites, BEC on these forums, will provide you with expert advice and several options.

1. Unplug all drivers from both crossovers (remember to take note on polarity)

2.turn on the music and connect any widerange driver, old car speaker or what you have, to one crossover driver connection one by one.

My guess is that one of the serial components such as the paper in oil caps has failed.

You can find out wich one by simply bypassing each cap with a short cable. That also seriously afffect the working of he crossover so it is no cure for failing components!

If I was you  I would keep the old crossover as is (for resale value of orignial state for vintage nuts) I would also invest in a modern crossover

welcome. I hope you'll fix the problem and enjoy the sound. Oh man your speakers are as old as my father :) next year will be 70s birthday of Klipschorn, the only speaker in the world that has been in continuous production for seven long decades.