Schmaltz

thebes

Let's face it. The music world is full of it.  Sappy, sentimental, choke your gourd, larded with a healthy dose of pablum, it's an an ode to mediocrity.  It's practitioners are either delusional over it's perceived quality or cynical purveyors of bile inducing syrup.

Need a good example?  Well, as much as I worship Johnnie Guitar Watson, god rest his soul, and his funky grooves, killer lyricism and penchant for the absurd, his 1980 song off the same-titled song, "Love Jones" is schmaltz personified. Give it a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKou77uxnJE

So what set's your schmaltz meter off? (barf bags available upon request)

Let's face it. The music world is full of it. Sappy, sentimental, choke your gourd, larded with a healthy dose of pablum,

it's an an ode to mediocrity. It's practitioners are either delusional over it's perceived quality or cynical purveyors of bile inducing syrup. Need a good example? Well, as much as I worship Johnnie Guitar Watson, god rest his soul, and his funky grooves, killer lyricism and penchant for the absurd, his 1980 song off the same-titled song,

"Love Jones" is schmaltz personified. Give it a listen:

"pablum"  ???  :o 

Who uses that in a sentence???  :P

+++

Nice call on Love Jones.  I thought I was listening to Lionel Richie's Easy (like Sunday Morning).  Who copied who?

Edited by wvu80

Thanx for reminding me Bes, something has been nagging me since back from Arz weeks ago, Barf Bags, dam man it's the item all pilots carry in their plane, like they say, (you only forget once). got a plane "Post it List" going now :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:  

What sets my schmaltz meter off? Anything from Bread, Seals & Croft, Christopher Cross.

Actors who sing & I use the term "sing" loosely. In this case, I could use the term "actor" loosely too. (lol)

Like nails on a chalkboard.

Does listening to these on my RF-7's make them Klipschmaltz?

Not classic sappy schmaltz... but 

Edited by Nismo

Most rap.

Wrong! :D

Unless you have a certain nostalgia for a songs about a guy beating his ho.

Schmaltz is sappy, sentimental, tear-in-your-beer music designed to tug on your heart strings while simultaneously inducing your gag reflex.

Although a hit for an other wise great singer, Clarence Carter, the following selectino may be the penultimate work of schmaltz in the entire lexicon of music. Gentlebeings I give the Jerry Reed version of "Patches":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXRfobTuDKE

Good work so far guys what else you got that will make you tear up like a man-blubber wearing a tutu?

Oh come on Thebes, that's a classic, that's not schmaltz!! Still waiting for someone to challenge Debby Boone.....not gonna happen....

"Tie a Yellow Ribbon Around the Old Oak Tree?"  :wacko:

How does that measure up on the 'ol yuchh meter? (Thebes, did I spell "yuchh" correctly?)

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators

Let's face it. The music world is full of it. Sappy, sentimental, choke your gourd, larded with a healthy dose of pablum, it's an an ode to mediocrity. It's practitioners are either delusional over it's perceived quality or cynical purveyors of bile inducing syrup.

Need a good example? Well, as much as I worship Johnnie Guitar Watson, god rest his soul, and his funky grooves, killer lyricism and penchant for the absurd, his 1980 song off the same-titled song, "Love Jones" is schmaltz personified. Give it a listen:

Not understanding. Schmaltz is chicken fat. Are you saying songs that tug at yor heart strings or make you want to vomit?

I know of no single sone that makes me want to do both.