Indy 500

Ceptorman

Are there many race fans around here? I grew up around this race and still enjoy it, especially the festivities. There's a three hour possession before the race with the Purdue University Band, high school bands, The Gordon Pipers, old historic IndyCars, past winners, and most importantly, thousands of veterans. I think it's these traditions that make this race special. I will say, one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed, is when a single trumpant plays Taps! It's kind of eery when 300k people become completely silent. I love this race :D

• Like 2

It's not called the greatest spectacle in racing for nothing!

I think it would be much more better to see live with all the other stuff going on as you mentioned because when you get right down to it, watching drivers on a roundy-round track turn left for two and a half hours isn't exactly the most interesting thing in the world.  But the fact is, a lot of people like that, and that's cool.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I've been to the 500 several times.  It is a spectacle.

My younger brother and his USNA '75 buddies go every year.  The race is an excuse to get together.

I agree that watching Indy cars turn left for 200 laps can get old, but, IMO, it beats NASCAR and the single file parades that are called F1.  I would rather watch several short heat races at a 1/2 mile dirt track than Indy or F1.  Something about short wheelbase 1,000 hp Sprint cars sliding around on mud.  Lots of passing and no time to get bored.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 4

Race officals are trying to figure out why the cars are taking flight when they catch some wind under the front of their car.

Well Duh, look at the bottoms of these cars, they are Flat/Sealed/Surface, Duh.

Likely see some flippers today.

• Like 1

Greatest day for race fans... props to rosberg for the monaco win, now whos turn is it at Indianapolis...

How pissed do you imagine Hamilton is with his engineers miscalculating his pit stop dropping him from an over 10 second lead to third.

I wanted to see the podium press conference with the top 3 but NBC quickly cut the broadcast. I understand the competitive nature of these drivers but can't help think a 3 year deal for $150 Mil might take just a bit of sting out of setback.

Hey Shu - how's the GT, I opted for the Challenger with the SRT 392. She is a beast.

• Like 1

I highly recommend the banked dirt oval known as El Dora in Rossburg, Ohio,  Tony Stewart likes the place so much he bought it.  If he could be paid as well, Stewart would race Sprint cars all the time.

At this point in his career do you suppose Tony really Needs the NASCAR paycheck? Although I'm sure cashing it is very nice!

Greatest day for race fans... props to rosberg for the monaco win, now whos turn is it at Indianapolis...

How pissed do you imagine Hamilton is with his engineers miscalculating his pit stop dropping him from an over 10 second lead to third.

I wanted to see the podium press conference with the top 3 but NBC quickly cut the broadcast. I understand the competitive nature of these drivers but can't help think a 3 year deal for $150 Mil might take just a bit of sting out of setback.

Hey Shu - how's the GT, I opted for the Challenger with the SRT 392. She is a beast.

Indeed... Hamilton is not one that is shy to complain... though some say whine.

GT is great... just over 1000 miles now and just beginning to order some after market parts.

Edited by Schu

I've been to the 500 several times.  It is a spectacle.

My younger brother and his USNA '75 buddies go every year.  The race is an excuse to get together.

I agree that watching Indy cars turn left for 200 laps can get old, but, IMO, it beats NASCAR and the single file parades that are called F1.  I would rather watch several short heat races at a 1/2 mile dirt track than Indy or F1.  Something about short wheelbase 1,000 hp Sprint cars sliding around on mud.  Lots of passing and no time to get bored.

I would agree with this. I watched the USAC Hoosier Hundred Thursday night, non wing Sprint Cars. They were turning laps on a 1 mile track at 33 seconds, pretty amazing! Actually a race that's just as interesting is the AMA Flattrackers on this track. Watching bikes with no brakes sliding around on the dirt is a must see.

Anyone see the Klipsch sponser car this year? or is there one ?

I don't believe there is one this year.

I highly recommend the banked dirt oval known as El Dora in Rossburg, Ohio,  Tony Stewart likes the place so much he bought it.  If he could be paid as well, Stewart would race Sprint cars all the time.

I'm thinking with the death of that sprint car racer Tony was involved in, plus his wreck and leg injury, Tony might be in a bad spot. His Cup car team hasn't run well, even Danika is running better than him. Harvick and Busch are running great.

• Like 1

Pre-race on ABC starting now.  I went to several time trials and one race in 1973 where Salt Walthers had a bad crash at the start. It then got rain delayed to the next day and I had to go to school and I think my folks took my sister.   :(

Edited by tnr
  • Like 1

I'm thinking with the death of that sprint car racer Tony was involved in, plus his wreck and leg injury, Tony might be in a bad spot. His Cup car team hasn't run well, even Danika is running better than him. Harvick and Busch are running great.

Amy was all over this last year, suppose i could ask chad eh?

• Like 1

• Moderators

I highly recommend the banked dirt oval known as El Dora in Rossburg, Ohio, Tony Stewart likes the place so much he bought it. If he could be paid as well, Stewart would race Sprint cars all the time.

Chad posted on this about a week ago, no car this year. You can search for Josef Newgarden and probably find it pretty easily.

• Like 1

The Klipsch car was in the Indy GP, the road course race last year, not the Indy 500. Last year was the first IndyCar race on the road course.

• Like 1

Race officals are trying to figure out why the cars are taking flight when they catch some wind under the front of their car.

Well Duh, look at the bottoms of these cars, they are Flat/Sealed/Surface, Duh.

Likely see some flippers today.

Wow, great point.

I saw the vid of a couple of cars crashing into the wall from practice a few days ago.  When they let go, there is NO warning, and NOTHING the driver can do about it.  That is scary.

• Like 1

At the driver introductions I was like: "jesus Juan Pablo... mix in an effing salad every now again!"

At the race finish I was like: " I guess effing salads don't really matter at the Indianapolis 500!"