Indy 500

Ceptorman

Used to be able to get pretty close.  Don't know if you still can today.  Been there a number of times and enjoyed it.  Found it just as interesting to go a couple days prior when they are doing timed trials.

Searching for a picture of it but, can't find one of Indy per se', but....  in elementary school, we were in the Indy 500 parade two years in a row.  I was riding what they called a Bedstead (or something like that) as opposed to a 10' unicycle that I typically road.

Picture of Indy car is probably from the 60's.  Similar time frame to the parade we were in.  Picture of the bedstead is probably from a different parade.  Yeah, that's me in the leopard outfit...

Always amazed me how close you can get to the drivers & action from the infield. 

post-12967-0-84120000-1432513550_thumb.j

post-12967-0-46480000-1432513561_thumb.j

post-12967-0-01560000-1432513637_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Moderators
I was riding what they called a Bedstead (or something like that) as opposed to a 10' unicycle that I typically road.

Why does this not surprise me ?  :lol:  A 10' unicycle :o even if I could ride one, it wouldn't be 10'. :P

Used to be able to get pretty close.  Don't know if you still can today.  Been there a number of times and enjoyed it.  Found it just as interesting to go a couple days prior when they are doing timed trials.

Searching for a picture of it but, can't find one of Indy per se', but....  in elementary school, we were in the Indy 500 parade two years in a row.  I was riding what they called a Bedstead (or something like that) as opposed to a 10' unicycle that I typically road.

Picture of Indy car is probably from the 60's.  Similar time frame to the parade we were in.  Picture of the bedstead is probably from a different parade.  Yeah, that's me in the leopard outfit...

Always amazed me how close you can get to the drivers & action from the infield. 

That's awesome!

My Dad was in the parade a few times in his 1929 Ford Model A, back in the early 60s. 

It was a very exciting finish today. Montoya even put a wheel in the grass on one pass. 

The crowds in the last few years have been increasing, maybe someday it will have the same prestige it had back a few decades ago.

Anyone see the Klipsch sponser car this year? or is there one ?

No, but I saw a B&W car.  

I get a channel here in Norcal called "Reven" all car stuff all the time and it's OTA signal.

Sure enough yesterday there was a clip of a hotrod/custom sponser show and sara fisher was on it looking for a sponser :o  

F1 does need some help with the sound... however I dont think bose is the answer.

According to F1 Magazines which interview some of F1's race mechanics, it's mostly due to regulations governing fuel flow (100kg/hr) that are killing the sound. It's my understanding that the regulation indirectly limits how high the engines can rev..... gone are the 18,000 RPM normally aspirated screamers.

• Moderators

About 17 million to be the main sponsor of an Indy Car for the season. That includes the cost of the space to set up your tent to display all of your wares in the Fan Zone, but doesn't include the costs of sending your people to every race, giveaways, hospitality suites, booze, spokesmodels, etc., etc.

All of this came to light in last years fight over the National Guard sponsorship switiching from Panther Racing to Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Panther filed an objection with the GAO and all the fine details came to light.

In 2013 the total operating budget to run an Indy Car was 15 million, including car, engines, driver salary, everything. To run one car in F1 is about 31 times that amount.

F1 cars have to be hybrids in order to compete, I would think that part of the sound difference is that a certain percentage of their power comes from electric energy, which is probably also related to the rev limiting Gilbert mentioned.

They bring one down to Congress Avenue every year a day or two before the race and fire it up and run it up and down the street, it is still plenty loud. There doesn't appear to be any shortage of money in F1 even with their muffled sound.

Of course Bose is sponsoring the in-ear audio plugs the Mercedes drivers wear. They get a tiny sticker on the car and about a 1" x 3" patch on the upper shoulder of the driver's racing suit.

Now isn't an exhaust pipe a type of horn?

Edited by dwilawyer
  • Like 2

I used to follow Cart until the owner of the Indy 500 track decided to not allow them to run the Indy 500 anymore, and came out with his own league. Now I only watch it for the Indy 500 if i am around.

I used to follow Cart until the owner of the Indy 500 track decided to not allow them to run the Indy 500 anymore, and came out with his own league. Now I only watch it for the Indy 500 if i am around.

It wasn't quite so one sided as that. Tony George, the CEO of Indy wanted to lower the cost to race, and he faced a whole group of car owners that didn't want any changes. A few owners sided with George though. SO each side took their stand, and actually separated and ran 2 series for about 10-12 years. Open wheel racing in the US paid the price for these men arguing. It still isn't back to where it was.

• Like 1

It wasn't quite so one sided as that. Tony George, the CEO of Indy wanted to lower the cost to race, and he faced a whole group of car owners that didn't want any changes. A few owners sided with George though. SO each side took their stand, and actually separated and ran 2 series for about 10-12 years. Open wheel racing in the US paid the price for these men arguing. It still isn't back to where it was.

I think he ruined the sport when he pulled that, and I don't think it ended up being less expensive in the long run.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Didn't cart file for BK twice? The second time being swallowed up by IRL?

The 500 was never a CART race, the CART season took a break for a month, or so, and CART teams and drivers entered that race as a seperate event. F1 used to take a break also and F1 drivers would compete.

IRL is much more evenly matched and seems more competitive. The engines are more powerful, both from CART days and currently in IRL since the elimination of turbocharging in F1, I guess NASCAR took advantage of the split and filled the gap.

Travis

• Like 1

• Moderators

Edit: Brain is failing me again, he has has never won Le Mans. He is one to go.

I just realized that Montoya is only the second person to achieve auto racing's Triple Crown. There was hype about this 5 years ago, but I don't think I have seen any mention of it after his Indy win.

Maybe I just missed it in the telecast?

Edited by dwilawyer
  • Like 1

Just as an FYI, my son who just graduated from Marshall University will be attending the British Grand Prix F1 race on 05 July. He is a huge F1 fan, but has never attended a race. I am hoping he will look at some grad schools while over there. Fingers crossed....

• Like 1