20 Dollar Magnepans

Mallette

Mentioned this in "What I got today" a couple of weeks back, but when I initially hooked them up I pulled a dumb ***.  Starting slowing raising the volume, as I knew nothing of their technology or what might be wrong inside.  Barely got to audible and the amp went silent.  Quick look and I found the other speaker lead had slipped loose and was conveniently laying on top of the other one. 

Fooie.  I was pretty sure I hadn't blown the amp as there was no sound of distress nor evidence of a release of the magic smoke...but nonetheless worrisome as I waited on the delivery of the not so easy to run to Radio Shack for anymore 250V 8 amp ceramic fuses. 

Got the Friday, and installed the fuse today.  Still a bit apprehensive as, in spite of my rather "all the same" attitude towards SS the Soundcraftsmen PCR-800 I have is a classic and by far the most powerful thing in the house at 400w.  From hearing about these things over the decades I knew I'd need most of it. 

So, they came from my parish thrift shop, where the PAW has them on the watch for speakers, amps, stuff with tubes, etc.  These huge, weird, heavy panels they really simply wanted us to pick up, but settled for 20.00.  While I wanted to try them I knew they were old, didn't know what they looked like, and didn't know whether they might be blown to hell. 

So, put the panels in from of my Klipschorns and put on the Telarc organ recording that happened to be on the TT.  I'd set the Cinema F-20 (remember, Maggies are mid/tweet only) to 120hz, twice as high as the Klipschorn setting.  Turned out to be pretty right but I had to turn down the volume by a third...not sure why. 

First impression:  Wall to wall soundstage.  I suppose it is the six feet or so of tweeter panel that provides that.  It's really something.  Incredible imageing.  The sub point didn't take too much more adjustment and I had far more impressive sound than I expected.  The amp had to be cranked over half way to achieve 90db.  At that point, my Klipschorns would be rendering anyone present deaf in a few minutes, but these guys soaked it up.  Immediately started to think about what a violation of one of the six cardinal points that was...then realized that it wasn't.  PWK was referring to dynamic speakers.  These are closer to being the inverse of a ribbon microphone.  Yes, takes massive power to move something that size, but the movement is miniscule compare to creating the equivalent SPL either via a horn or paper, etc. cone speaker...so it doesn't violate anything.  More on where that went in a moment...

So, time for an imaging test and as I've mentioned in the past that's a mono source thing for me.  Put on the incredible "Sing, Sing, Sing" Benny Goodman/Gene Krupa record graciously passed to me at Hope by Pat (WPS) and was further amazed.  Pinpoint phantom center source.  You'd swear the sound source was the LCD TV on the wall, except bigger.  Detail and punch was beyond what any phonograph naysayer would be able to believe. 

Next, DSOTM, original pressing.  Would go into everything, but a wonderful stage with the highpoint being the clock audio montage which was every bit as clean and in your face as the 'horns but wider. 

Finally, at least up until now, Sheffield Labs recording of "Ride of the Valkyries."  It sounded a bit thin.  Slight increase on the sub volume fleshed out the tympani's and basses and another concert wide stage.

All in all, certainly 20 bucks worth.  Now, here is what hit me:  K'horn base been with this technology for mids and highs.  Heresy?  Don't think so.  Doesn't violate the six cardinal points as explained above and you have a full range system for others who may not be horn lovers. 

Honestly, I suspect there is a small, but solid market for such a beast. 

Dave

post-7390-0-16040000-1432498980_thumb.jp

Edited by Mallette

Maggies can be awesome, especially the BIG ones, with some grunt behind them and matching subs, they can breathe music.. and float some instruments like few speakers can...does it sound real? in some spaces perhaps. PWK knew what he was doing..... but you cant account for everything, or want to, when you have an agenda......

Not sure what to do with them.  Keep them for a while though.  That pinpoint imaging and "wall of sound" is really cool.  Might haunt Ebay for another PCR-800 so as to be able to biamp.  They are wired for it from the factory and seems that's how the Maggie lovers run them.  At half volume on my amp I see the "tru clip" lights blink red from time to time, but honest don't know precisely that that means.  Sounds good, and plenty of volume at that level.

If I had the time and money I'd experiment with the Klipschorn bass bin hybrid I mentioned.  I really believe that this approach, sold with amps and such as a complete system, would be quite marketable.  Expensive, yes, but I'm thinking maybe 5k or so and given the amps being included, not out of the ballpark. 

Lonelobo (Ron) is coming over this afternoon and I'll be interested in his take.

Dave

• Moderators
Lonelobo (Ron) is coming over this afternoon and I'll be interested in his take.

Well that's always a good thing.

I have never seen any Magnepans that big, $20 is amazing.

Given their age, as Lonelobos signature line used to state "I hear dead peoples stereos."  I am betting they were something children or others had no clue what to do with and so just donated them to the church.

Actually, the two "Bottom End" subwoofers that went with them were there as well.  They are considered the first home commercial subwoofer design and Ken Kriesels first design.  The ladies had them marked "sold" as well but some dude stopped in and apparently removed the tag, manage to pay for them to an unsuspecting clerk and get away.  Turd.

Anyway, I'd told the PAW to look and see about the condition of the drivers in them as I didn't expect them to be good.  Rather have the Magnepans if I had to choose.  I can get a sub anytime.

Dave