HELP! Sansui AU 717 + Equalizer

Mr. Clark

Hi All, 

I'm trying to use an Equalizer with my Sansui AU-717 and I'm not having much luck making a loop. I've tried a lot, but something has gone all screwy (technical term). My problem seems to be this: Whenever I decouple the preamp from the amp, I lose the source signal. When I recouple them, I lose the signal from the equalizer. 

I know the equalizer works because a direct signal (iPod) to the unit, and then to the Integrated Amp, got results. I'm just trying to keep the preamp on the Sansui doing the work. 

Part of my confusion is coming from these switches, previously screwed down by a small plastic plate. What is the difference between "direct coupled" and "capacitor coupled"?? I get that connected just means that the Preamp and Amp in the unit are connected, but the rest of has got me all turned around. I even called my very reputable electronics guy and he said he couldn't figure it out unless I lugged this sucker in. (Not unless I have to!)

For reference here is a picture of the back. Note the switch in the center below the Pre-Out/Power Amp In. 

Thanks for any help I can get. And please hold back on the teasing. 

571700-sansui_au717_stereo_integrated_am

One way to make the eq always in line would be to connect the pre out to the eq input and then connect the eq output to the power amp in leaving the pre-power amp coupled. This should send all selected sources thru the pre out to eq and then to the power amp. Remember that when using an eq that you should cut (reduce) the frequencies not boost them. At least that what I think I have learned :rolleyes:

You could use the tape 1 loop with the pre / amp coupled but the above way is cleaner in my opinion (less knob-ology). De-coupling the pre and amp allows use of just the pre out to an external amp or an external pre into the intergrated amp section.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

I think I tried that combination once and it didn't work. I think I have have discovered the problem, though. I'm not getting any signal out of the "preout." Might be a problem with the amp. Funny thing is I can get a signal out of the Tape Rec. So, as I suspect, it might be a problem with the Pre-out. 

Try the eq in the tape 1 loop and monitor the tape with the source selected to the wanted input. I have found that the tape in and out to confuse my feeble mind at times. If I remember correctly, the Tape 1 record goes to the eq input and the Tape 1 play comes from the eq output. This should eliminate any pre out issue.

Do you have another amp you could connect to pre out?

Is the eq working?

How did you discover that you have no output from the pre out?

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

The equalizer is working. I know this because when I hooked my ipod directly to it, and then hooked the equalizer to Tape 1, I could adjust the levels. 

The problem with the monitoring it is that when I select it, it pulls the pre-amp input away from the source signal (AUX, TUNER, etc.)  I do have another amp I can play with and likely will in just a moment. 

It's a graphic equalizer so I can see the levels when its running from Tape 1 Rec. But when I put it from Pre-Out, I get no levels. GRRR. 

This Sansui has a relay that trips when you select connected or separated. Put this switch on separate, and put some RCA Cable jumpers from pre out to main in. This will check that the pre out is working.

• Like 1

Just a quick shakedown per the Sansui manual:

-Copy knob is in the OFF position

-Soucre button depressed

-Tape1 and Tape2 buttons not depressed

Barring any malfunction, that ensures that if a signal is present from any of the four primary inputs, it will also be present at the Pre-Out jacks instead of only at the Tape Rec jacks.

To insert the EQ, the slider should be in the Separated Capacitor-Coupled position. (ie. all the way to the far right when looking from the rear)

Connect the Pre-Out on the Sansui to Audio-In of the EQ

Connect Main-Out of the EQ to Power Amp-in of the Sansui

Double check these buttons on the EQ:

Audio / Video - IN "green"

EQ / Bypass - IN "green"

Line / Tape - IN "green"

• Like 1

The equalizer wants to be fed a full voltage input.  You will not get any movement of the LED's unless the volume is at full tilt.  You should be using your tape monitor loop and not between the preamp and amp.

Edited by Frzninvt
  • Like 1

You should be using it your tape monitor loop and not between the preamp and amp.
That's what the EQ 200 manual says, also...

Hooking it all up
The EQ 200 should be connected through the “Tape Monitor Loop” of your receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamplifier. Since the EQ 200 replaces the
tape deck, remember to activate the “Tape Monitor” switch on your receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamplifier – as you would when playing your tape
deck. Your tape deck can now be plugged into the back of the EQ 200.

• Like 4

You should be able to take the Tape  1 out from the Sansui, plugged into the EQ unit (use the same input you plugged in your iPod)... following these directions from the manual:

1. Connect the TAPE OUT or TAPE RECORD jacks (different components use different terminology) on the back of your receiver/integrated
amplifier/preamplifier to the AUDIO IN jacks of the EQ 200.
2. Connect the MAIN OUT jacks of the EQ 200 into the TAPE IN or TAPE MONITOR jacks of your receiver/integrated amplifier. This completes the “loop”.
3. Always make sure to engage the “TAPE MONITOR” button on our receiver, no matter which input source you want to listen to. This allows the
“equalized” signal to be heard on any source material.

By using the tape out, you will be sending the max signal from whatever is plugged into the Sansui, i.e., adjusting the volume on the Sansui won't change the level going to the EQ. You should also, (since everyone has given different instructions) set the Sansui back to 'CONNECTED' on the back. This way the pre and power sections connect internally.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

Jumping over the out connects to the in on the EQ and the out on the EQ connects to the IN on the Sansui cabling issue.

Wire the EQ  as Tape One, this way you can select and deselect it at will to compare if you like the EQ better than no EQ, I do this all the time.

I don't know the Sansui, but Rec out and listen allow for lots of options if you have lots of devices, at least on all of my pre amps.

Good luck.

• Like 1