T5000 Question

akdave

So a local thrift store is advertising a pair of T5000 speakers for $150.  I just saw the post on CL and figure I may run by there tomorrow.  I have no idea the condition they're in but does anyone have experience with these speakers specifically for 2 channel?  I already have the theater set up and if I do this (if they pass the WAF) I would use them for that.

• Like 1

I owned a pair for about a year, great speakers. They are very similar to the Forte but with a forward firing passive. As long as they work and the cabinets are in decent shape I'd say $150 is a great deal.

• Like 2

Doesn't the T5000 use Heresy components with the addition of a passive radiator? So basically a heresy with more low-end?
T400 uses the exact parts of a Heresy II, including the crossover. The woofer and tweeter are different in the 5000.

The cabinets on the Tangents aren't real solid, but a friend of mine has had a pair of the 400s for a few years and they are still together. Some caulk and bracing would help (or build a BB cabinet).

That's a good price if they aren't beat up.

Bruce

Specs from Klipsch:

Frequency Response: 35Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB SENSITIVITY: 99dB @ 1watt/1meter POWER HANDLING: 150 watts maximum continuous (750 watts peak) NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms TWEETER: K-75-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn MIDRANGE: K-53-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver MID FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn WOOFER: K-28-K 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone active / K-120 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone passive ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF) ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator DIMENSIONS: 40.75" (103.5cm) x 15.5" (39.4cm) x 14.7" (37.3cm) WEIGHT: 65 lbs. (29.5kg) FINISHES: Matte-finish Black vinyl Built From: 1993 BUILT UNTIL: 1994

They use the same tweeter and mid horn / driver as the original Forte, part number for the woofer comes up close to the Heresy III (k-28-E) The cabinet quality is like that of the "KG" line but with the cheaper vinyl wrap finish instead of real wood veneer. Certainly not the nicest of all the Klipsch speakers ever made but they sound great.

I bought mine to replace my Chorus II's when I moved into an apartment several years back. The rear firing passives on the CH II's rattled the neighbor's wall and knocked several pictures down, at least that's what the note said that I found on my door. :rolleyes:  I did a quick search on craigslist and found the t5000 for $200 and snagged them up. They don't have as much bass as the Forte or Chorus but much better than the Heresy.

• Like 2

Well checked them out at lunch today. The drivers looked ok but the cabinets and grilles were a little worse for wear. The laminate was rolling up on both along the edges and the grill cloth was pretty frayed. Multiple gouges, scratches and scuffs (black finish) and with no way to hook them up and hear them I decided to pass.