Need Input on this craigslist package deal

SuBXeRo

Let the input begin.

Here is the subject ad: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/5036660332.html

I know that this was costly as a retail purchase and the guys is moving and this is from his restaurant that i guess he sold or shut down and the drivers have been exposed tot he elements for the last 3 years although direct/indirect exposure is unknown.

I was toying with the notion of doing a setup with heresys or something like that but this could be the right setup as it does have the right amount of speakers i was looking for, even a little extra.  Its a commercial higher voltage system and haent been able to dig up much on the speakers except for guessing by the numbers on the plates that the large driver is an 8" and the rest are ~5" drivers.  I care more about these than i do the offbrand in ceiling or the two other in-ceiling klipsch units.

I don't really feel like paying a whole lot for this set because it ultimately isn't ideal but for the right price it would get the job done.  The guy is moving to cali in the next few weeks and want to get rid of it all. 

Thoughts?

post-37112-0-38240000-1432839350_thumb.j

post-37112-0-37720000-1432839363_thumb.j

post-37112-0-43760000-1432839374_thumb.j

post-37112-0-49640000-1432839386_thumb.j

post-37112-0-44440000-1432839399_thumb.j

post-37112-0-66200000-1432839458_thumb.j

post-37112-0-96880000-1432839471_thumb.j

I have general advice, not specific.

First of all, you are in a good position because you are not in love with the stuff.  Love makes people pay too much.  Second, he is a motivated seller.  That puts you in a good bargaining position.

He is asking $800, but I have no idea what the true value is.  Since he used them in his business he has long ago depreciated them off his taxes, so he got his money for them.

Maybe shoot him a low ball number like $200.  Since he is moving and probably has a lot of other things to do, you might have a deal.  If he counter offers something lower like $500, I would guess your purchase price might be somewhere between your $200 and his $500, depending on how bad you want these speakers.

"this equipment came out of my restaurant"

I do a little business w/CCTV every now and then, and anything on the celing gets "Greased" , id pass.

Better deals on the horizon. unless of course you can get Wvs deal, just wear gloves......

I don't think this is a bad deal.  You can easily part out the amp and ceiling speakers.  I have be looking for ceiling speakers but no where near retail, hint, hint, lol.

LOL will have to see how this pans out and if i do wind up wanting to dump we can talk :)

I did some more digging and the QSC amp was discontinued in 2003 and the current model speakers that i believe replaced these have been made since 2005 so these things have a bit more age on them i was originally led to believe and i doubt that they sat in someones inventory for 7-9 years before being purchased after being discontinued.  

I'm going over tonight to check them out, will have to see how that works out

I met the guy last night and he said take it home and test it, no money up front!!  Holy Crap!!  Who does that?

Well, i took it all home and the speakers work via bypass but i couldn't test the 70v or 100v settings because the amps input stage has failed and cannot get any signal to pass via XLR or the terminal block so as of now, i consider the amp a dead prospect.

The speakers sound pretty good and were just a little dirt from the dust out here but no grease or anything or anything like that.  The CA-5T speakers have no bass really but aren't really designed to have a deep bass extension and concentrate more on output.  The CA-8T on the other hand has quite a bit more bass and more of what i would prefer.

We came to an agreement of $350 for the whole set but that was before i knew the amp didn't work and he says he still wants $350 for everything.  I am on the fence and just can't decide.

• Moderators

I'm not sure if $350 is a good price or not.  I will tell you that I have Klipsch in ceiling speakers in my studio for my home based business.....I love them.  Also, I did attend an auction a few years back and they were auctioning off some Klipsch outdoor speakers....if I am not mistaken they sold for about $300 for four of them at the auction.  I'm assuming the outdoor speakers are Klipsch???

I'm hoping someone else will come along that can identify those particular speakers.  

I hate for you to miss the sale as it seems like a decent price....but I'm just not sure.

Edited by dtel's wife