Burr-Brown DAC for Raspberry Pi

No, but such technology is where "PCs" are headed.  I am convinced penetration of the "PC on an HDMI" stick will reach major penetration in the next few years.  Most homes and other places are ROTTEN with HDMI ports and with Windows on such a stick (already available for 150.00), a wireless keyboard and mouse. you are good to go for anything but the most demanding professional work. 

Raspberry Pi was laughed at when they first came out.  The laughing has stopped.  That thing has 100 times the computing power of an IBM XT and the XT revolutionized the marketplace. 

Dave

HDMI will die as USB-C takes over....with 100W power over the bus, even a decent laptop could run off it, and it supports way higher data rates.

There aren't many parts on that DAC...is the output even low passed and buffered?

• Like 2

I am so getting one of these! I have several PIs and currently use a model 2 PI in my bedroom to deliver to all my movies and TV shows from my KODI shared library. Its currently running OpenELEC. So I have my old PI B+ just sitting here looking at me now I know what I am going to do with it. Be the perfect way to deliver content in my music room.

For all you PI owners go search on your favorite search engine for things to do with a Raspberry PI. There are some interesting projects out there.

OP thanks for throwing this out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Followup....................

I did order the HiFi Berry DAC and it arrived a few days ago. Since I had the Model B I had to do a bit of soldering to put in the audio outputs to the board.

My plan was to use it in the music room instead of using a laptop headphones out to deliver music. The next task was getting the SD card imaged with the desired OS. I decided to use Volumio (https://volumio.org). Very pleased with the interface. I mapped to my music network share. Took about 10 minutes to load all the music into Volumio. Configured for the exact HiFi Berry board and bobs your uncle. Worked like a charm.

This is my first DAC and know I know why many of you use them. Pretty sure this solution would not compete with many of the upper end DACs but I am very pleased with the sound. A/B Comparing the HIFI Berry DAC to the laptop output. It was so obvious! The sound quality was much better. Invited my son over and did some A/B with him and he was quite surprised as well.

So, I would recommend the HiFi Berry for a low budget DAC for sure.

• Like 1

I am so getting one of these! I have several PIs and currently use a model 2 PI in my bedroom to deliver to all my movies and TV shows from my KODI shared library. Its currently running OpenELEC. So I have my old PI B+ just sitting here looking at me now I know what I am going to do with it. Be the perfect way to deliver content in my music room.

For all you PI owners go search on your favorite search engine for things to do with a Raspberry PI. There are some interesting projects out there.

OP thanks for throwing this out there!

This thread inspired myself to buy a RPI 2 B version, so my GF can have some sort of media center in the living room. Also I can get rid of the obnoxious 2006 Gateway tank hogging up my LR, which is broken most the time.

I have Ethernet, so I really don't have to deal with WiFi. I can use the 42" teevee for a monitor...I'll probably purchase the Hifiberry DAC next week.

There will be a bit of learning involved with dealing with software/compatibility/programing, but it should be a decent media center on the cheap.

A cool project:

https://www.hifiberry.com/2015/04/hifiberry-meets-cherry-and-walnut-wood-and-the-result-is-just-awesome/

I've had the Raspberry Pi 2 for a couple days now...the first night we tried the Raspian OS. It's a (meh) operating system...kinda cool, kinda novel... The GF has a "phablet" for browsing online, hitting the social media, etc. No real need for a desktop type PC application.

The application desired is a media center for watching movies, music vids, etc...

The second night we found out you can hit the shift key on power-up and have other options for operating systems, or programs. We didn't realize you had to have the Pi connected online to get other OS/program options. Once that was done, I overwrote the card with OpenELEC KODI helix 14.1 media program/OS.

Now the GF has a pretty decent media center.

Using HDMI for monitor output, the sound also works on the TV's speakers through the HDMI. I tried using the headphone jack output on the RP2 into a AM/FM audio receiver auxiliary input, but no sound.

I had to run the headphone jack (analog out) out from the TV to the receiver to get sound. I'll have to figure out how to disable the HDMI audio on the KODI OS, to get audio from the analog headphone jack.

Or, I may as well purchase the hifiberry DAC for RP2 with analog RCA outputs. There are hifiberry DAC options with analog RCA out, analog headphone out, or digital out.

Having analog RCA out of the DAC into my stepped attenuator would be rather nice option. Hopefully the hifiberry DAC puts out 2 volts... 

I should by another for a game emulator...

Mike

• 1 month later...

I've had the Raspberry Pi 2 for a couple days now...the first night we tried the Raspian OS. It's a (meh) operating system...kinda cool, kinda novel... The GF has a "phablet" for browsing online, hitting the social media, etc. No real need for a desktop type PC application.

The application desired is a media center for watching movies, music vids, etc...

The second night we found out you can hit the shift key on power-up and have other options for operating systems, or programs. We didn't realize you had to have the Pi connected online to get other OS/program options. Once that was done, I overwrote the card with OpenELEC KODI helix 14.1 media program/OS.

Now the GF has a pretty decent media center.

Using HDMI for monitor output, the sound also works on the TV's speakers through the HDMI. I tried using the headphone jack output on the RP2 into a AM/FM audio receiver auxiliary input, but no sound.

I had to run the headphone jack (analog out) out from the TV to the receiver to get sound. I'll have to figure out how to disable the HDMI audio on the KODI OS, to get audio from the analog headphone jack.

Or, I may as well purchase the hifiberry DAC for RP2 with analog RCA outputs. There are hifiberry DAC options with analog RCA out, analog headphone out, or digital out.

Having analog RCA out of the DAC into my stepped attenuator would be rather nice option. Hopefully the hifiberry DAC puts out 2 volts... 

I should by another for a game emulator...

Mike

Hey Mike, I believe you will need to change the audio configuration in OpenELEC to send the sound output to the analog output then you should be able to send the audio out the headphone jack.

Jerry

Hey Mike, I believe you will need to change the audio configuration in OpenELEC to send the sound output to the analog output then you should be able to send the audio out the headphone jack.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Since the last post I picked up a hifiberry DAC+ for my Raspberry Pi2.

This has been quite the experience...

First of all, I'm not a computer geek when it comes to commands/codecs, etc...I figured I could get away with flashing a preconfigured image on a SD card for hifiberry DAC+ to get it to work. And I did, the hifiberry site has a preconfigured image for the DAC+ using the Raspian operating system.

The DAC works using this preconfigured image, but Raspian is like a desktop OS, and not really what I'm into...plus it's glitchy...I'm sure one can tweak and add-on to it however.

For media entertainment, the OpenELEC/KODI operating system is what I prefer. It seems more stable, and has a lot more entertainment value.  

I've listened to the stock Raspberry Pi2 DAC, and the Hifiberry DAC+, and the Hifiberry definitely sounds smoother and more refined than the RPi2 DAC. The stock one has that dull Behringer house sound about it...adequate, but not hi-fi.

In order to configure the Hifiberry DAC+ to work with OpenELEC, (which has no command terminal window) one has to use SSH, (secure shell) from a desktop PC or whatever.

Using a editing program, like Putty, one can bring up a command window on their desktop PC and use a local area network to communicate with the RPi2 using the OpenELEC OS, and then give commands. Sumthin' like that...it's been rough.

Through the Hifiberry forum site, there is a link with pretty much a step by step procedure for configuring the DAC+ for OpenELEC 5.0 or higher. I followed the procedure to my best knowledge, and still can't get ALSA in OpenELEC to recognize the DAC+.

I'm doing something wrong, I just need to keep poking at it.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fleonbuitendam.nl%2Finstallatie-hifiberry-dac-en-openelecop-een-raspberry-pi-2-model-b%2F&sandbox=1

The stock Canakit case needed a bit of hogging out for the Hifiberry DAC+ to fit. Looks kinda ghetto, but it'll slide for now until I make a aluminum or metal case with some mass.

post-4542-0-40300000-1437952101_thumb.jp

Mike

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Since the last post I picked up a hifiberry DAC+ for my Raspberry Pi2.

This has been quite the experience...

First of all, I'm not a computer geek when it comes to commands/codecs, etc...I figured I could get away with flashing a preconfigured image on a SD card for hifiberry DAC+ to get it to work. And I did, the hifiberry site has a preconfigured image for the DAC+ using the Raspian operating system.

The DAC works using this preconfigured image, but Raspian is like a desktop OS, and not really what I'm into...plus it's glitchy...I'm sure one can tweak and add-on to it however.

For media entertainment, the OpenELEC/KODI operating system is what I prefer. It seems more stable, and has a lot more entertainment value.  

I've listened to the stock Raspberry Pi2 DAC, and the Hifiberry DAC+, and the Hifiberry definitely sounds smoother and more refined than the RPi2 DAC. The stock one has that dull Behringer house sound about it...adequate, but not hi-fi.

In order to configure the Hifiberry DAC+ to work with OpenELEC, (which has no command terminal window) one has to use SSH, (secure shell) from a desktop PC or whatever.

Using a editing program, like Putty, one can bring up a command window on their desktop PC and use a local area network to communicate with the RPi2 using the OpenELEC OS, and then give commands. Sumthin' like that...it's been rough.

Through the Hifiberry forum site, there is a link with pretty much a step by step procedure for configuring the DAC+ for OpenELEC 5.0 or higher. I followed the procedure to my best knowledge, and still can't get ALSA in OpenELEC to recognize the DAC+.

I'm doing something wrong, I just need to keep poking at it.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fleonbuitendam.nl%2Finstallatie-hifiberry-dac-en-openelecop-een-raspberry-pi-2-model-b%2F&sandbox=1

The stock Canakit case needed a bit of hogging out for the Hifiberry DAC+ to fit. Looks kinda ghetto, but it'll slide for now until I make a aluminum or metal case with some mass.

attachicon.gif019.JPG

Mike

Yikes, yeah, that case is ugly. We should call that FrankenBerry.

I chose to use my system for audio only which is why I arrived at using Volumio and the configuration seemed pretty straight forward. I have not tired configuring OpenELEC however perhaps I can offer some other ways to get the configuration files modified.

There are some other tools out there that may make this process easier. Since you mentioned Putty that tells me you are using a Windows based machine to access the PI via SSH. Consider using WinSCP instead of using SSH.  Its basically a FTP tool that will allow you to pull the file you want to edit to your local PC. Make a back up of the original file then edit the file and copy it back to the PI. You can also right mouse click on the file and edit it directly but that is more risky.

You will need to configure The protocol you should use is SFTP, Host name can either be the default name of your openelec machine or you can use the IP address. Port number is 22.

Hope you find this is useful.

Jerry

Yikes, yeah, that case is ugly. We should call that FrankenBerry.

I chose to use my system for audio only which is why I arrived at using Volumio and the configuration seemed pretty straight forward. I have not tired configuring OpenELEC however perhaps I can offer some other ways to get the configuration files modified.

There are some other tools out there that may make this process easier. Since you mentioned Putty that tells me you are using a Windows based machine to access the PI via SSH. Consider using WinSCP instead of using SSH.  Its basically a FTP tool that will allow you to pull the file you want to edit to your local PC. Make a back up of the original file then edit the file and copy it back to the PI. You can also right mouse click on the file and edit it directly but that is more risky.

You will need to configure The protocol you should use is SFTP, Host name can either be the default name of your openelec machine or you can use the IP address. Port number is 22.

Hope you find this is useful.

Jerry

HA! That's a perfect name for it!

It needs a decal like this:

post-4542-0-06980000-1438051808_thumb.jp

I guess I best pony up for some sort of aluminum pre-made case for the Pi2 and DAC+...and still call it FrankenBerry.

Yes, I am using a windows desktop with windows 7 home premium or whatever.

I'll try WinSCP. I've been viewing youtube videos with regard to the subject, and saw a video with someone using WinSCP.

It's a learning process.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded WinSCP, and while it appears one has way more control of files/folders, etc...I need to spend more time with the program to figure out things.

So I went ahead and followed through the link I posted using Putty once again. I made sure I had no command line typos, to make sure to exit nano once a command is executed, and to re-boot the Pi2 from the desktop PC remotely.

After rebooting, I looked at the ALSA screen and had the option for Hifiberry DAC+. WooHoo! Frankenberry lives!

The Hifiberry DAC+ does indeed sound better than the stock Raspberry Pi2 DAC. Kodi 5.08 using the Hifiberry DAC+ is a nice combination for a cheap media center.

Now to find a aluminum case to mount things in, with all the sockets out the rear of the enclosure.

• Like 1

I have one of these cases. VERY high quality, excellent fit and finish.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-quality-aviation-grade-anodized-aluminium-Raspberry-Pi-B-2B-case-LP0225C-/151664694147?hash=item234feb9383

And background from the creator:

http://lukse.lt/uzrasai/2014-09-professionally-made-raspberry-pi-b-aluminium-case-give-out/

After selling my Schiit Gungnir I picked up a JDS Labs ODAC and went back to using a pi with Archphile as the OS/Software. so far, so good.

I downloaded WinSCP, and while it appears one has way more control of files/folders, etc...I need to spend more time with the program to figure out things.

So I went ahead and followed through the link I posted using Putty once again. I made sure I had no command line typos, to make sure to exit nano once a command is executed, and to re-boot the Pi2 from the desktop PC remotely.

After rebooting, I looked at the ALSA screen and had the option for Hifiberry DAC+. WooHoo! Frankenberry lives!

The Hifiberry DAC+ does indeed sound better than the stock Raspberry Pi2 DAC. Kodi 5.08 using the Hifiberry DAC+ is a nice combination for a cheap media center.

Now to find a aluminum case to mount things in, with all the sockets out the rear of the enclosure.

Fantastic news. Now its time to enjoy all that hard work!

I have one of these cases. VERY high quality, excellent fit and finish.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-quality-aviation-grade-anodized-aluminium-Raspberry-Pi-B-2B-case-LP0225C-/151664694147?hash=item234feb9383

And background from the creator:

http://lukse.lt/uzrasai/2014-09-professionally-made-raspberry-pi-b-aluminium-case-give-out/

After selling my Schiit Gungnir I picked up a JDS Labs ODAC and went back to using a pi with Archphile as the OS/Software. so far, so good.

Sweet case, too bad it wont accommodate the HiFiBerry DAC+.

That is a really nice case.

Michael,

How are connecting the outboard DAC to the Pi? USB?

Searched images for a Hifiberry case, but most are rather cheap looking...

I was thinking of using a extruded aluminum project case. With a sliding top panel for access to the RPi2 SD card if need be. Then configure/arrange so all the connectors are mounted to the back panel.

Having some sort of indicator light on the front panel would be nice, but I don't really want to solder on those small printed circuit boards with SMT parts. I'm afraid I'll smoke something.

This case would fit the bill, I'm not terribly fond of the finned car amplifier look, but then again the case looks cool...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Project-Electronic-Aluminum-Box-Enclosure-Case-DIY-Big-for-PCB-DIY-130-95-55MM-/171314453193?hash=item27e3231ac9

Thanks Jerry, I think I may have learned something...Linux is rather strange...

Mike