AMPS AND SOUND at the SHOW Newport

Guest David H

Guest David H

Today I attended T.H.E. Show Newport.

Overall, the Show was fantastic, although horribly over crowded.  A few of the multi $$$$$$$$$ rooms were unbelievable, others horrific, overall a great time.

My particular interest in the show this year was all horn loaded speaker systems,  full range speakers, and open baffles. The horn systems this year were good not great, (probably setup) there were very few full ranger speakers, but a couple very good open baffles. 

As always, Legacy open baffles were excellent, Magnepan also good but a lot of the same. A nice surprise - Emerald Physics showed up with the KC-II, an open baffle passive hybrid - very similar to my Yield. This is a great looking nice sounding speaker. Nice work EP..

I only spent about 4 hours room hopping, but I got a chance to stop by Justin Webers room.  Amps and Sound was paired with Chapman Audio,

and VPI - what a great sounding room.

The Amps and Sound display consisted of a pair of Casa Blanca mono blocks.....drool... Also on display was one of Justin's head phone amps, and although

I am not a headphone guy, I was delighted by the sound. (What headphones were those?)

I hope Justin or other members will post some pic's, and links to reviews. I am told www.ampsandsound.com  is getting excellent press.

Good job Justin...

Dave

Edited by GotHover
  • Like 5

Dave and everyone thanks a ton.i wanted to invite everyone close out but didn't want the moderators to get angry.

That said, we are in room 1311. Come in and kick me in the shins and say hello.

Newrecordday.com interviewed me and several journals... Fingers crossed it goes well.

Chapman T5 were paired with out mono blocks... We got our hands on a VPI prime and Ralph at Sonic Studio (Amarra ) showed off what the IRC func can do to tame a terrible room and showed off Amarra for Tidal. I was never a streaming guy until the Demo... tidal is too cool.

The headphones were Mr Speakers Ethers.

Each day has presented new challenges but also crazy new opertunies. None have come to fruition just yet but I'll share soon.

Long story short it's been an unforgettable experiences.... Big thanks to Dave ( who custom made a base for the VPI) andScott Hicks.

• Like 1

Guest David H

Nice. Anyone that can pull off getting decent sound in those rooms deserves a winning lottery ticket.

Most of the rooms are using DSP. Helped a lot this year. Last couple years was all bass.

Dave

Justin how you like the Mr. Speakers ??, I have mulled over getting a pair of his closed back alpha dogs or primes as the closed back is intriguing.  His Ethers are his own full design and are basically new to the market I would like to find a place to compare some of the top tier phones

on a side note I met a fella via the net that has a Kenzie Headphone amp paired with the Audeze 3 (widely considered one of the BEST headphones available) His take is the combination is best he has heard, He also uses the Metrum Octave 2 Dac, They are the ones that steered him twords your amp as it is ZERO Feedback and they contend that there dacs are best with that style amp

You might consider talking with them (Metrum i mean)

nice looking room setup  :D  :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:  :emotion-21: