What speakers to buy next?

CHASLS2

I agree with Scrappy! I've listened to the 212s and they blew me away, just awesome sound. JTR is no joke, extremely high quality speakers and subs. If the 210 is in budget, try them, I doubt you'll regret it.

As for the weight, just get some help getting them in the house and placed..you could also use those furniture sliding pads to help. Once they're in the right place you'll be good to go.

Edited by Rowan611

Wow, those JTR's look sweet and the specs look even better. Especially in the nicer finishes they might be hard to beat.

I have heard good reviews about the Tekton speakers as well, not sure if any have a small enough footprint though. I would love to audition a pair of the new 1812's!.

I know specs aren't everything but compared to the RF-7ii, they are a lot less sensitive, do not dig as deep, have a smaller tweeter, do not look near as nice and they are $1800 more.  Am I missing something?

1" baltic birch cabinets.  Coaxial tweet which makes it a 3-way.  Silly power handling.  Horns go down to 400 hz.  They're no joke.  $2,500 each though?  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Silly power handling isn't much of a benefit IMO. IMO, Anything above 200 wpc is a waste

With all due respect, it is a benefit. After hearing the 212s only sound better and better the louder they got, it makes all the difference. They honestly sound clearer with more power. I hope scrappy jumps in and agrees, as he's heard the same 212s I'm talking about, and probably his new 215s.

just to see what some of his nicer looking cabinets can look like. 

http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post/jtr-custom-speakers-5012941

they really are great speakers chals. maybe you can figure out a way to make them work. i have a friend who is 45 and he has no problem scooting the big 215 lb 215RT around on his carpet by himself. he just kind of walks them. and if you get the standard finish you aint gonna hurt nothing on them by doing that

Walking them on the carpet is no biggie.  If i could find a used set i would give them a try.

With all due respect, it is a benefit. After hearing the 212s only sound better and better the louder they got, it makes all the difference. They honestly sound clearer with more power.

I think you could say that same thing about 75% of speakers out in speaker land.  My RF-63's definitely sound better at my LP at 90dB vs 60dB.  The same goes for my HI's and HII's.

Now about the 2000w RMS spec, we all know those speakers will never see anywhere near 2000w RMS with listeners in the room without ear protection. :o;)  :)  

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

• Moderators
With all due respect, it is a benefit. After hearing the 212s only sound better and better the louder they got, it makes all the difference. They honestly sound clearer with more power. I hope scrappy jumps in and agrees, as he's heard the same 212s I'm talking about, and probably his new 215s.

No disrespect felt.  I agree with Bill in that many speakers (especially Klipsch) tend to sound better the louder they get.  But that's not the question at hand.  The statement I made is anything above 200 wpc is a waste IMO.  This is where I deducted my logic from.

The JTR 212HT have a sensitivity of 101db.

1 watt = 101db
2 watts = 104db
4 - 107db
8 - 110db
16 - 113db
32 - 116db
64 - 119db
128 - 121db
256 - 124db
512 - 127db
1024 - 130db
2048 - 133db

My point is what benefit is there in going above 124db?  As seen below, at 115db, you only have 30 seconds before hearing loss.  for every 3db gain, the permissible exposure time is cut in half.  So at 133db, you have less than 1 second before hearing loss.

decibel_exposure_chart.gif

• Like 1

No disrespect felt.  I agree with Bill in that many speakers (especially Klipsch) tend to sound better the louder they get.  But that's not the question at hand.  The statement I made is anything above 200 wpc is a waste IMO.  This is where I deducted my logic from.

1 watt = 101db

2 watts = 104db

4 - 107db

8 - 110db

16 - 113db

32 - 116db

64 - 119db

128 - 121db

256 - 124db

512 - 127db

1024 - 130db

2048 - 133db

My point is what benefit is there in going above 124db?  As seen below, at 115db, you only have 30 seconds before hearing loss.  for every 3db gain, the permissible exposure time is cut in half.  So at 133db, you have less than 1 second before hearing loss.

decibel_exposure_chart.gif

I guess it won't hurt me then since i have lost my hearing pretty much.

Silly power handling isn't much of a benefit IMO. IMO, Anything above 200 wpc is a waste
 correct but we all know its nice to have the headroom. the guys around knasas city that own them have a park get together every year and compare speakers outdoors. that is the only time the owners every pump over 1000's of watts to them. inside its rough, but outside power goes quick. 

I hope scrappy jumps in and agrees
oh i will agree whole heartedly. if i had unlimited budget i would dump the cinema and go with three 215's across my front stage. the jtr is on a whole different level when you get up to reference and above. klipsch can do it but they do not maintain there smoothness AS GOOD as the jtr does. they really are something special.

If i could find a used set i would give them a try.
the 210 is fairly new, so roll won't see any used for a while.

1 watt = 101db

2 watts = 104db

4 - 107db

8 - 110db

16 - 113db

32 - 116db

64 - 119db

128 - 121db

256 - 124db

512 - 127db

1024 - 130db

2048 - 133db

Depends on how far away you are.  Even those of us with small rooms aren't listening at 1 meter away.  Some of these big theaters are way far away from the screen.  Even at 15 feet you're like 14 db down.  At 21 feet you're like 17 db down.  And if you put them behind a screen you're talking about 2 db being pretty standard if I remember right.  Basically 8 meters from an acoustically transparent screen and you are 20 db down and more like 113 db, which is still loud as hell, but still.  133 db isn't necessarily getting to people's ears.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I have found a hot deal that is realy 2 good 2 pass up.  It will be a road trip to go get them.  Can't say what the speakers are until i get them home as i don't anyone snatching up my deal before i can get to it.  I hope to go after them this Sat.

Chas

I have found a hot deal that is realy 2 good 2 pass up.  It will be a road trip to go get them.  Can't say what the speakers are until i get them home as i don't anyone snatching up my deal before i can get to it.  I hope to go after them this Sat.

Chas

Nice!! Congrats

Chas

Bose 5.1? ;) 

• Like 1

Chas

Bose 5.1? ;)

No way jay.

Chas

Bose 5.1? ;)

No way jay.

come on don't leave us hanging! no one here wants to steal a deal from you. at least i don't have any desire to. 

Chas

Bose 5.1? ;)

No way jay.

come on don't leave us hanging! no one here wants to steal a deal from you. at least i don't have any desire to. 

I have followers from other forums that would try to screw up my deal. Looks like Sunday i will make the trip and you guys will know then.  If the deal falls thru then i am not sure what to get.  Them JRT's seem nice, but a 125lbs is a little heavy