25Hz TH sub with TB driver

DizRotus

After "winning" a NIB Tang Band W6-1139SG driver on eBay with a low sniped bid, I decided to scratch-build a 25Hz tapped horn sub as first brought to my attention by Carl in:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/138019-25hz-tapped-horn/

Rather than further hi-jack Carl's thread, I started this thread.

The plan is to give this sub to my older son to use with a pair of Heresy I gave him earlier.  That way, he can use, or not, use, the sub as the time and proximity of his condo neighbors dictates.

Unfortunately, the DIYAudio Group flat packs I used to build 4 earlier examples are no longer available.  The dado cuts in the flat packs and the fit of the CNC cut panels made assembly a snap.  IKEA furniture is harder to assemble.

The wood is cut.  While the table saw was out, I also cut the wood for 4 mini-Karlsonator single-drivers,  The mini-K wood is in the foreground, the TH wood in the background.

Also attached are photos showing the TB driver and the 3.5" driver for the mini-Ks.

post-6832-0-00300000-1433100107_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-47380000-1433100115_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-63420000-1433100551_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

In case you're curious, photos of the prototype mini-Karlsonator are attached.

I was always curious about Karlson slot enclosures.  Apparently, the tapering slot loads the driver and disperses the high frequencies in a widening pattern toward the top, narrow, portion of the slot.

Also, I'm curious how this enclosure will mesh with the tapped horn sub,  In some ways, the Karlsonator is like a tapped horn.

post-6832-0-81780000-1433102747_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-74540000-1433102763_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

Foam box?

That's only the prototype.  The author of the DIY Audio thread loves to make enclosures out of foam core.  Making the prototype was enough to convince me that the enclosure had promise, but the effort to construct foam speakers is not worth it.  The finished speakers will be baltic birch plywood.