Vintage Kenwood KA 801 - Restortation ? worth it ?

expresso

Hi  -  i purchased this amp - KA 801 - i played it for a hour - didnt get hot - works - needs some work - rear back dented up a bit near power cord -   front A B switch needs to be fixed - 

the meters work fine - one is a bit higher in operation - not by much but enough for me -   a switch or two is bent on the sliders -  just the tip - not the whole switch inside etc, - 

now i plan on pairing this with the Forte II and speaker B on the KG 2 i got   - 

i have two options - i want to get it checked - fixed - adjusted - etc,     i can bring it to a place who fixed a few of my friends Kenwoods -  hes happy with them -

but they dont fix cosmetic things -  so the dent may still be there -  and will just check and fix replace items that may need it -

not a full restore -    

or -  find a place and get it fully restored - inside and out -  

i am leaning now on the full restore -  get it done and be happy with it -  

would anyone know of a good place to restore these - who do a good - great job ?  fair price - etc,  close to NYC area ?

would be good - if close to me or else i have to ship 

i have been in talks with a guy who does this - i seen his site and like his work -  really nice at the end -  not sure if hes booked for months or able to accept it for restore -  and then price is not cheap - 

not sure what a good price is - this is new to me now -    i was thinking tube amp - and now i got side tracked and got the kenwood now -   

i heard his forte II on a 8100 he had and sounded excellent -  at about 9 oclock postion on the volume and was pretty loud -   if put on the 10 or 11 oclock -  way more than enough and may be too loud 

does anyone have any experience with this vintage restore -  kenwood 801 trio etc,      are they really good when restored ? 

now i cant decide and have it packed in the box the way i got it - 

thanks

Hi Moray - thanks -  i found this site for  a restore - cdkands.com -   i have to talk to the guy and see how we can proceed -  i figure why waste money on a repair from a repair shop -  it would be about double to restore but in the end - may be worth it -  would be new inside and out -  dent would get fixed - any other little comsmetic things that can be  will be - and i dont have much in cosmetic really besides a decent dent in the rear near power cord -   i dont like to see it - even though you cant when in the rack - i know its there - 

i cant find the user manual - would you happen to have that - ?   at least cant find it for free download - 

thanks -

i think i am changing my mind about getting it done there -   not sure yet -  30 days warranty for the restore -  i feel thats a little short giving the money it will cost in the end - plus shipping - 

now i am back to thinking of just going local - get it checked for $50 and then just repair or adjust fix just whats needed more or less -   i did find another guy i called -  at least he will give a year warranty -  and i got to talk to him on the phone etc, -  

didnt think this would be so difficult to get going now - hard to choose whos good or whats what with this stuff now -   but this other guy can have a friend pick it up for me and take to him - save the shipping -  thats a plus - 

owners manual free download

http://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/kenwood/ka801-owner-manual.html#.VWzSEkY3QT4

Personally I would not pay for a refurbish unless I personally knew the tech and was guaranteed every single electrolytic in the box was going to be replaced. I did some searching on line and cannot see much to indicate that this amp is worth the trouble. There are some amplifiers out there of the vintage type which are either worth modifying or simply rebuilding in a few cases. Such restoration and modifying is expensive and should only be done by those skilled in design and rebuilding and those people are few on the ground. I believe that your money is much better spent on something much newer or even on something new with a warranty. I think that the potential is very high that you are just going to open a can of worms. If you do have the amp rebuilt then take a lot of photos that show every litic cap before the shop gets the unit and also get written confirmation that they will replace each and every electrolytic cap in the unit with new ones. Good luck and best regards Moray James.

yeah i know - i feel the same way -  but i dont think they will replace every single cap in the whole unit -  for sure the larger caps - maybe power supply if needed - and other things were told to me - 

this is the guy i spoke with today -  seems nice - and honest - another one i been in talks with - email only -  looks nice also - but he offered me 30 days warranty -  this guy at least said one year -

and like you - i cant find much on this model either -  but was told that its one of the rare models built very well - its one of those model you want to keep - i was told -  also if i didnt want  it -  both of them each offered to purchase it from me

the first guy at cdkands.com -   he wanted to trade me - he would give me a 8100 fully restored -   in exchange for mines and $250 -  plus shipping -  i rather keep mines - because i like the meters to be honest - i wanted one with meters and was told to look for this model -  i would be safisfied with it -

so now  i am back to square one -   i have this unit -  it works - but needs some repair on the A B switch and rear power cord chassis -  an adjustment for sure on items etc, -   but it does work -

i am back to considering  the local shop here -  they would pick it up for $50 check it and i decide after if i want to contniue or not -  they would return it also - either way -    my friend did both his units there and hes happy with them -

but its not a full restore -  its a repair - they check repair - i guess bring it up to specs.  if caps are bad or out of spec - they would replace i guess -  the price will depend on whats needed - 

maybe i should do that first -  then use it and see how i like it -  if i like enough for a restore down the line ?     i really like those luxman models but very expensive -

thanks for the link -   it says free - but its not -  haha -   just 5 dollars if i want it -  worth it i guess if i keep this thing  - oh its not in english -  the manual download -  i knew there was something for me not getting it besides 5 dollars -  

Edited by expresso

i decided i am not going to dump alot of money in this -  will makes things easy for me -  call the guy tomorrow where my friend has his repaired and sound great -  

they will pick it up - check -  it give me a price for the repairs etc, bring it to spec and i will agree - bring it back for $50  plus repairs -

$50 is the pick up check and return -  worth it -  would cost me $50 for a cab to get there and back - then to pick it up again and back

i was having a friend do it for me - now he wont have to lug i back and forth -- its 40 pounds -  big box -   looks are fine - a slider top bent a bit - two maybe - not a big deal - sliders works just the tip - 

A B switch needs to be checked and fixed -  power plug  - needs a stopper there and checked i guess -  have him check it  and bring it up to specs

if that works out -  it should sound very good - 

that will go on the forte II and KG 2 -  since i got them now - they sit on top of the Forte - looks great - same finish -   this was one reason the A  B switch needs to be working -    the idea was to use both pairs with one unit -  less space in my rack -  this way -  i can make it work - i will remove my pro amp -  and marantz cd player -  giving that to my in law and amp in the closet -   

thats the plan - i see what they say and when i get it back -  how it works out -  all i know i heard my friends 8100 - and it sounded great on the Forte

thats how this started -    no EQ no Exciter in the mix - just the Kenwood and Forte -  it has the bass treble knobs etc, -   but nothing else really -

tone defect slider-  i think that works like a source direct -  

this was giving me a headache with the restore -  have to pack it - ship it - spend $600 - on top of what i paid - and then ship it back - wait a month easy and barely a warranty -    two places i have asked about to do the restore etc, -  they both offered to buy it from me -  if i didnt want it

one wanted to give me a restored 8100 for mines plus 250 and shipping i had to pay -    didnt sound like a deal to me -