J

Axz Hout

Am I to be a test dummy? :unsure: any thoughts? :)

Microsoft is no dummy.  They don't do anything without foresight and planning, and its all about making money, not concern for customers (unless that brings them money).

It bothers me that they were invasive enough to  push a message onto your PC's.  OTOH it was a "public service" to let you know about a free upgrade.  In the past if you were two generations past the latest version then the upgrade cost you money.

It is the way of the internet to give you something for free, then sell you what you really want.  My understanding is that MS wants all our devices to be integrated, so if you have Windows 10 you will want Win 10 Cloud Services, a Win 10 tablet, a Win 10 phone, Win 10 smart HDTV, etc.

MS likely wants you to upgrade to upgrade to 10 so they can brag "millions have switched" so the rest of the PC users will feel like they are not alone.

Nobody wants to be alone.  :dry:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Generally correct, WVU80.  Microsoft is, somewhat belatedly, trying to change their revenue model from OS to apps and ubiquity across devices.  There is a LOT of sense in that.  HoloLens is an example. 

While I have been a rather vicious critic of them in the past, I have hopes for this initiative.  One of my biggest beefs was that the basic I/O system for the PC shouldn't be a significant cost.  Finally, they are getting into the range I find acceptable, 30 bucks or less, free for many. 

I am actually rather hopeful about 10. 

Dave

You have a year after the official release to get the upgrade for free. They've even announced in China that they will upgrade illegal copies for free.

The upgrade applies to Win 7, 8 and 8.1.

I can hardly wait.

Bruce

I'll probably upgrade to the preview build shortly based on their announcement. It shouldn't really be that big of a deal that they pushed an announcement on your PC though - that's what Windows Update technically does ALL the time.

I am operating Office 2016 Preview right now, so will probably switch over to 10 before too long for the OS. The only hardware issue that Windows acts like it's going to have is Bluetooth connectivity. Oh darn...I'll have to actually PLUG IN my phone to transfer music now...what will I do? :lol:

So I opened up my two PCs today and get the icon "Get Windows 10"

Same here. I'm content with 8.1.......I mean, all I do with my machine is surf the internet and stream Spotify Premium through it and it's fast, reliable and I have no problem with it.

I've got a year so I guess I'll sit back and see what others think about the "upgrade".

• Like 1

I am with the wait and see crowd, just think back a little over a year ago when windows 8 came out there were countless complaints then 8.1 solved some of the bugs

I also dont really care for the 8.1 setup, I much prefer the 7pro I am using. will be interesting to see what folks think of 10,  Jriver says MC20 will work with 10 

sure there will be bugs with that

• Like 1

For those of us who have dealt with Windows since 3.15 for WG this isn't a wait and see.  My bet is that it's going to be a good one.  98SE followed the Win95 lameness, XP followed ME, 7 followed Vista, and this one follows 8.  Each leapfrog kept anything good in the disaster and added speed and stability.  Many of those refusing to leave 7 now refused to leave XP for a long time after it was available.

Not that I am guaranteeing anything, but Microsoft shows signs of actually realizing that it has to compete.  The prices on new version got to past absurd for an operating system, and now they are rolling back in a big way and broadening their horizons.

I'll jump on ASAP at home and I suspect corporate America will start moving over at the first service release.

Dave

• Like 1

For those of us who have dealt with Windows since 3.15 for WG this isn't a wait and see.  My bet is that it's going to be a good one.  98SE followed the Win95 lameness, XP followed ME, 7 followed Vista, and this one follows 8.  Each leapfrog kept anything good in the disaster and added speed and stability.  Many of those refusing to leave 7 now refused to leave XP for a long time after it was available.

Not that I am guaranteeing anything, but Microsoft shows signs of actually realizing that it has to compete.  The prices on new version got to past absurd for an operating system, and now they are rolling back in a big way and broadening their horizons.

I'll jump on ASAP at home and I suspect corporate America will start moving over at the first service release.

Dave

I 100% totally agree. I think they must have a 2 version policy. The odd versions are meant to field all the ideas for the future version but using the technology from the previous version.

From memory:

Windows 3.0 - "this sucks, I'd rather use DOS..."

WFWG - "that's better, I can actually use this..."

Win 95 - "OMG this is ridiculous, you can't do anything..."

Win 98 (SE) - "great Microsoft... you got it right! You fixed all the stupid stuff"

Win Me - "You call this an upgrade?, Have you heard about Windows 2000?"

Win XP - "OMG, why didn't Microsoft just do this in the first place."

Win Vista - "Hell no, I'm not ugrading to Vista, I hear it sucks..."

Win 7 - "Fricking awesome... Linux needs to be very afraid..."

Win 8 - "If I want a smartphone O/S, I will buy a smartphone. WHAT IN THE %$@#%& IS THIS SHIT, WHERE DID THE &*&)#&^ GO?"

Win 8.1 - "That's a bit better, but when Win 10 comes out, I am shitcanning this"

• Like 2

The odd versions are meant to field all the ideas for the future version but using the technology from the previous version.
They're going to mess us up by leaving out Windows 9.

And for Dave to be correct, Windows for Workgroups was ver. 3.11

My PCs do not have touch screen, would I be able to get use of the Windows 10 system just typing?

Yes, you won't need a touch screen, but using touch on a large screen is really nice.

Bruce

• Moderators
Many of those refusing to leave 7 now refused to leave XP for a long time after it was available.

Youthman raises his hand.......I've only been using Windows 7 for the last year.  Held onto XP for forever.  I really dislike what I have seen in Windows 8 so I'll definitely hang onto Win 7 for quite awhile.

• Like 1