J

Axz Hout

• Moderators
Windows 3.0 - "this sucks, I'd rather use DOS..." WFWG - "that's better, I can actually use this..." Win 95 - "OMG this is ridiculous, you can't do anything..." Win 98 (SE) - "great Microsoft... you got it right! You fixed all the stupid stuff" Win Me - "You call this an upgrade?, Have you heard about Windows 2000?" Win XP - "OMG, why didn't Microsoft just do this in the first place." Win Vista - "Hell no, I'm not ugrading to Vista, I hear it sucks..." Win 7 - "Fricking awesome... Linux needs to be very afraid..." Win 8 - "If I want a smartphone O/S, I will buy a smartphone. WHAT IN THE %$@#%& IS THIS ****, WHERE DID THE &*&)#&^ GO?" Win 8.1 - "That's a bit better, but when Win 10 comes out, I am shitcanning this"

That was hillarious....probably because it was soooo spot on!

O.K. so this is a dumb question.....

I have Win7 Pro SP1 and like it a lot (although there were some things I could do in XP that I can't do w/7 but it's not a big deal). So it will probably be a awhile till I do Win10. If I do the upgrade on a my Win7 machine (I got the same icon to reserve W10), does it mean I have to reinstall all my programs, special drivers and other files of documents and pics?? Or will it carry all that stuff over for me? Will it do a complete wipe of the HDD?

BTW - My earliest OS in the last 20-years was TabWorks. Before that it was an IBM punch card reader machine from about 75' or 76' when I was in 5th grade that only cash register tape type printout instead of a monitor. :)

Edited by Mighty Favog

Favog -

Windows upgrades do not overwrite documents and pictures. It only updates program files - so system software might get upgraded. Depending on the program, you might need to install - if the driver isn't compatible with Windows 10 it will need to be reinstalled, or a new one will need to be made by the vendor. If you run compatibility check by clicking the icon before the upgrade - it should tell you what will and will not work.

3.15 was the final WFWG version, Bruce. 

Dave

All I can find is this:

Windows 3.15 was the preliminary name of a major update for Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and Windows 3.1. It was expected to include a taskbar similar to the one in Windows 95 (then Chicago), an improved task list application, a GUI-based disk defragmenter, improved multi-user functionality, and a few other minor improvements. It was never released because the interest of a such update was low, and that Microsoft was more focused on releasing Chicago on schedule rather than delaying Chicago and release the Windows 3.15 update.

And MS doesn't list it at all:

Favog -

Windows upgrades do not overwrite documents and pictures. It only updates program files - so system software might get upgraded. Depending on the program, you might need to install - if the driver isn't compatible with Windows 10 it will need to be reinstalled, or a new one will need to be made by the vendor. If you run compatibility check by clicking the icon before the upgrade - it should tell you what will and will not work.

O.K., thanks. Most of my peripherals are run of-the-mill items but I have a sound card that is rather funky and the company is out of business (Auzentech).

Edited by Mighty Favog

O.K. so this is a dumb question.....

I have Win7 Pro SP1 and like it a lot (although there were some things I could do in XP that I can't do w/7 but it's not a big deal). So it will probably be a awhile till I do Win10. If I do the upgrade on a my Win7 machine (I got the same icon to reserve W10), does it mean I have to reinstall all my programs, special drivers and other files of documents and pics?? Or will it carry all that stuff over for me? Will it do a complete wipe of the HDD?

BTW - My earliest OS in the last 20-years was TabWorks. Before that it was an IBM punch card reader machine from about 75' or 76' when I was in 5th grade that only cash register tape type printout instead of a monitor. :)

IbizaFlame has it spot on. However, if you are able I would recommend a fresh install of Win 7 before you upgrade to 10.