LaScala II problem

deadlift

Hello,

Just a few days ago I received my new La Scala II's unboxed them and set them up.  I noticed that from one speaker there was only a faint music signal coming from the HF box and nothing from the LF.  I verifed connections and swapped the speakers - the issue followed the speaker.  I pulled the jumpers off today and once again on the HF taps - only a faint sound and when on the LF taps no sound.  Tech support has suggested that this may be a network issue, but aren;t these things tested prior to leaving? The boxes were shipped via a dealer so there were no UPS or FED-EX abuse issues.

Any thoughts or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Steven1963

If it doesn't void the warranty, pull the cover off and take a look at the network and ensure all the wires are connected and tight. I suppose it's possible that during shipping something could have worked itself loose.

If it does void the warranty, don't do it.

• Like 1

A guy from tech support suggested doing just that and he told me it would not void the warranty, since if they were to send me replacement parts I would be putting them in myself anyway,  So I suppose it is worth a shot.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Let us know the results. And, welcome to the forums. AND, we love pictures so please show us those beautiful speakers.

Are these shipped already connected, in one piece (for each side)?  I share your surprise they came with a problem like yours.  Perhaps tech support can get someone on the line with you to trouble-shoot and go over how the wires should go.  As per Steven, there may be a single loose connector or wire.

sounds like a network issue to me...

Klipsch will take care of you if you paid retail, rest assured.

congratulations of a beautiful pair of speakers... Pictures are appreciated.

Edited by Schu

+ 1 to check wires. I had a speaker (used) shipped to me and the shipper wrapped it up nice and neat, very well protected. They worked fine for about 1 week and 1 speaker quit working. I tried the usual and ended up looking at the drivers. Yep. the wires came off the driver, hooked em up and all is well. I have no idea how they cam loose just sitting there for 1 week, but they did. But as mentioned earlier, you will be taken care of if there is a problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

A guy from tech support suggested doing just that and he told me it would not void the warranty, since if they were to send me replacement parts I would be putting them in myself anyway,  So I suppose it is worth a shot.

Be sure to have his name before opening anything.

To answer your earlier question, it's my understanding that they test them after assembly.

Here’s the update:

I went ahead and removed back cover and sure enough one of the mid-range horn connectors was disconnected (my thoughts on how this may have happened later) connecting that gave me my HF back but still no LF.  So I gathered my two sons and together we re-connected the two cabinets making sure to have metal on metal not just plastic (more thoughts on this later) and there it was a functioning speaker at last!!!!

So far:

These are large, heavy and bulky speakers and although a strong enterprising individual might be able to set them up by themselves I would not recommend it.

Once out of the box and setup one may begin to notice an aroma, even veneered MDF loves to outgas so open a window.  This will dissipate over time and if you think of formaldehyde as a preservative not a carcinogen you’ll be fine.

They are beautiful looking speakers (I will post some pictures this afternoon) save for their size they get an A in spousal approval  although I do in some ways miss that industrial look of my old La Scala’s.   Plus now any ding or scratch will make me cringe on the old speaker’s was just part of the aging process.

The crossovers and internal wiring look to me like my old AL-3’s on steroids and growth hormone.

That disconnected component – on both speakers the two leads that are supposedly hanging down from the upper cabinet to connect to the lower one, this was not the case.  With one speaker there was a red wire but no black wire to be found on the other they were there but there was not enough slack to even think about connecting them.  So I wonder if in reaching in with fingers and small flashlight to try to get some more slack I inadvertently pulled the connector off?  On the other while groping around looking for that black lead I could have very well disconnected something on that speaker as well,   so potential owners beware.

Connecting the two cabinets – If I were to do this I would have considered some type of plugs or umbilicus, having two raw leads and attempting to get them into the connectors and tighten all in a space too small for any one with normal hands, while your assistant is holding the case up so as not to crush your hands and forearms, there has to be a better way.

So all that’s left is to break them in and listen and see how they compare to my old La Scala’s circa 1989,

Edited by deadlift

I think Klipsch should make this easier how hard is it to just put banana plugs on the back of both units and supply a cable to connect them. This is the first I have heard of the complex procedure to connect 2 units together. Maybe a Klipsch person can chime in here let us know WHY IT IS THIS WAY ?

Once out of the box and setup one may begin to notice an aroma, even veneered MDF loves to outgas so open a window. This will dissipate over time and if you think of formaldehyde as a preservative not a carcinogen you’ll be fine.

LOL!  The very definition of an optimist!  :lol:

Congrats on the new speakers, and congrats on the trouble shooting.  :emotion-21:   :emotion-19:   :emotion-29:

Well I just read the manual for assembly and when I read it ...it does not say you have to hold it up to connect the 2 units together. From the manual it looks pretty easy to me.... but pictures of this area would be good to see. At first I could not believe Klipsch would make this connection that hard and I think I should have went with my original thoughts. Does anyone have pics of this area because one bad review for Klipsch product is one to many I think . Granted pictures in the manual would have been a better idea for the regular consumer. But if you pay that kind of money it should be a no brainer to hook these units together.  Rick

Guest Steven1963

Glad to hear you got it working. I look forward to some pictures and after they are broke in, your thoughts on how they compare to your 1989's.

one bad review for Klipsch product is one to many I think

This wasn't meant to be a bad review - just perhaps a suggestion.  I know there is a love / hate relationship out there in regards to the La Scala but I am without a doubt on the loving side.

I did see this in the manual "Connect the low frequency cable to the two screw barrier strip on the rear of the low frequency cabinet. Be sure to observe proper polarity by connecting the
wire with the Red Indicator to the terminal with the Red marking and the wire with the Black indicator to the other terminal."

This two strip barrier on the rear of the low frequency does not exist at least not on mine (LOL) instead the connectors are on the top of the cabient in a recessed hole.

Guest Steven1963

I would take a picture of the connections and get hold of support. Work out with them whether something was/was not done outside of normal build parameters. That's a lot of money to be spending on speakers and they should be built to spec. with all the parts/connections included.

Besides the fact that the dealer should have delivered them to you and set them up. When I got mine new in 1980 they were set up and checked for proper function at my house. I think Klipsch or the dealer needs to come to your house and fix or give a new pair. There needs to be a response from Klipsch on this matter as soon as possible.

There is something wrong here the customer should not have any problems setting these up for what they cost. I think this HF/LF connection should be so easy as to show it in one picture and be done with it . I hope others with LaScala II owners will let us know how they got their speakers hooked up. Rick         PS this is needs to be fixed ASAP I think.

I realize that even when buying factory direct one reason Klipsch uses dealers is to provide customer service and I am sure if I had asked they would have unboxed and set these things up for me - but I never asked. In fact I have never had a dealer set anything up in my house but that's me.  As for the service the dealer was on Klpsch's case and had I not been so impatient (it was only 2 business days) I'm sure they would have taken care of the issue.

I've attached one of my crappy photos of a speaker exact location etc yet to be determined. I have also attached a rear shot of the speaker from the Klipsch web site as you can see there is no rear connection panel on the lower cabinet and if you look closely you will see the center circle on the top of the lower cabinet - that's where the connections have to be made.

In any event it;s done it's fixed the connection between the two cabinets is what it is, now it;s time to enjoy the music!!!!!

post-61288-0-68900000-1433271600_thumb.j

post-61288-0-16140000-1433271608_thumb.j