KG 5.2 vs Chorus II (or Forte/Forte II)

brad0112

Have a pair of KG 5.2's aleady, but came across a local pair of Chorus II's when seeing what was out there. Was actually considering some Forte's when I saw these Chorus II's. 

Asking price is slightly south of $600 on the Chorus II's and I'm intrigued if they are really any "better" than the KG 5.2's. Neither my 5.2's nor the Chorus II's have been Crites upgraded.

I have the 5/2's in my home theater in the basement, and I would replace them with the Chorus II's.    

Looking for any opinions either way. 

Thanks,

Joel

PS:  I has posted this on another forum (AK) and Moray James has already replied (thanks Moray!)

I am a fan of the tractrix mid in the Chorus II, Forte II, and Quartet. I only have the latter two.

In my view, you will be taking a big step up with the Chorus II, one which you will love to pieces.

Your moving to a true three-way, big bass driver, big passive, and mid. You'll like the tweeter too.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

Thanks for the "encouragement".  I went to take a look and listen today and ended up coming home with them for his asking price of $575.  He was the 2nd owner and had the original boxes.  

The 2 passive radiators have some slight damage though.  One has the dust cover dented in and a small "scratch" on the cone- but it doesn't look like it breaks through.  The other one has three small holes in a row on the cone - in the cone - in a row maybe each the size of a bic pen tip.  Almost looked to me like one if his cats  poked it with it's claws.

Any ideas on a simple repair, or do I have to replace the entire thing?  Is that even possible?

Joel 

Well congrats on you new speakers.....your gonna love em...

If damage is that minor I might not even fool with it. As far as the dent on the dust cover I have used my vacuume cleaner hose to pull out dents.....I use a shop-vac with tool that allows air to bleed off so it doesn't pull to much vacuume at the dust cap.

I think some other members might have some other ways to fix the pushed in cap.

MKP :-)

Joel

Simple repair.  The dust cover that is pushed in will have no effect on the sound.  Just repair the 3 small holes.  Klipsch no longer manufactures the passive radiator for the Chorus II or Forte II.  So you would need to find a pair on the used market.  Personally I would wait for a nicer pair.  There are a beautiful pair of Forte II for under $600.00 in the alerts section.  INMHO a better balanced speaker even more so than the Chorus II, and it digs deeper. 

Either the Chorus II or Forte II will be a big step up from the 5.2's.  I would recommend you stick with 2nd version of eithe for the tractrix squawker.

Best regards,

John

What does the Klipsch collective think of the $575 price?  Is that a fair market price, what is the hi/low range for C2's these days?

The speakers seem solid with some minor easily fixable damage.

Edited by wvu80

I thought anything less than $600 was great (and in my budget).  Forte and Forte II's are selling around here for $500-$550 or more.  Obviously every once in awhile some will pop up for less when someone finds them at an estate or garage sale. 

The seller actually sold them earlier in the day on eBay with a "Buy it Now" for more ($650 I think he said), but the buyer was in Florida and backed out when he found out the shipping cost. He said he had a lot of emails since he listed them in the last day or so, and I believe it.  

A quick search of completed eBay auctions show $709-$1080 (36 bids on the $1080 pair).  

Any suggestions on how to repair the areas?  Just some kind of glue?  

I saw this place does repairs but know nothing about them...  http://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-speaker-repair.html

Edited by brad0112

if the holes are small a daub of white wood glue will be fine if they are larger repair from the back side with white glue and a piece of coffee filter paper about a 1/2" overall larger dia. than the hole. Work the cone material as sooth as you can to fill back into the open hole and then wet the surface with white glue let set a little till the surface is just tacky and apply the filter paper patches with a thin wet layer of white glue. You will be good as new and ready to play in thirty minutes. Congrats on a really nice set of loudspeakers.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

if the holes are small a daub of white wood glue will be fine if they are larger repair from the back side with white glue and a piece of coffee filter paper about a 1/2" overall larger dia. than the hole. Work the cone material as sooth as you can to fill back into the open hole and then wet the surface with white glue let set a little till the surface is just tacky and apply the filter paper patches with a thin wet layer of white glue.
That will work! I use Weldbbond, which dries clear and stays flexible.

http://www.weldbond.com/products

Bruce

I think the $575 is a good price, considering the slight damage.

I'm currently selling a set for quite a bit more and I don't even have the original boxes! And mine have a couple of chips in the veneer, Crites Crossovers and Ti Tweets.

So, I think you got a good deal.

Congrats on the new speakers. I'm picking up my pair of Chorus 2's in about 3 hours and can't wait. I'll post the price I got them for as soon as I get them home, and nothing can go wrong. Lol. I don't think $575 is too bad at all, considering the original price and what it costs for new or used Cornwall's, LaScala's or K Horn's. The most important thing is that they were within your budget and you enjoy them.