3.1 revisited

YK Thom

In ceilings certainly can work but you need to be pretty confident on location before cutting into the ceiling or be great at the patching! Mine have the pivoting tweeter that I have aimed at the side walls. The op had talked about being in a condo and at least in So FL the ceilings are poured concrete for the floor above. In walls(or on walls) could be done in that situation if the room configurations allows...

The aesthetics more than anything else.

My wife HATES speakers visually, and she could care less about the sound.

I've never understood WAF, and have never had to deal with it.  My wife loves our Khorns.  Big JBL C34s were at our wedding back in 1975.  My former girlfriend liked big speakers, and the one before that used to sit on my Karalson, to better feel the music.  They are all very artistically inclined.

My parents house had a console radio just a bit smaller than a Khorn.  When we got a TV, my dad built a huge console cabinet for it, with a big JBL system in it. 

Elegant homes had Khorns, Bozak Concert Grands, JBL Hartsfields, and JBL Paragons in them, to say nothing of the grandfather clocks, armoires, huge antiques, etc.  Mary Pickford had a TV with a magnifying glass 3 feet in diameter in front of the screen, in an elegant cabinet, and Mitch Miller had speakers that were chest high.

What the hell happened?

Are "in ceiling" totally out of the question for surround or rears?

Willand's suggestion also sounds do able.

Ceiling are out of the question- concrete, tower condo. Rears we have but I'm getting some grief regarding them being out in the new living room.

The aesthetics more than anything else.

My wife HATES speakers visually, and she could care less about the sound.

I've never understood WAF, and have never had to deal with it.  My wife loves our Khorns.  Big JBL C34s were at our wedding back in 1975.  My former girlfriend liked big speakers, and the one before that used to sit on my Karalson, to better feel the music.  They are all very artistically inclined.

My parents house had a console radio just a bit smaller than a Khorn.  When we got a TV, my dad built a huge console cabinet for it, with a big JBL system in it. 

Elegant homes had Khorns, Bozak Concert Grands, JBL Hartsfields, and JBL Paragons in them, to say nothing of the grandfather clocks, armoires, huge antiques, etc.  Mary Pickford had a TV with a magnifying glass 3 feet in diameter in front of the screen, in an elegant cabinet, and Mitch Miller had speakers that were chest high.

What the hell happened?

Varies by wife and living space. As we are in a condo there is no basement rec room. The main living room is it.

Are "in ceiling" totally out of the question for surround or rears?

Willand's suggestion also sounds do able.

Ceiling are out of the question- concrete, tower condo. Rears we have but I'm getting some grief regarding them being out in the new living room.

I have a difficult time understanding the compromise here.  After listening to the double MWM/402 combination there was no doubt in my mind that this was what I wanted.  I had to convince dtel to build it for us!  I'm sorry, I like for things to be aesthetically pleasing also, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.  Yes, those are Forte II's on top....we also have three Fortes hanging over the sofa (you can barely see them hanging just below the beam behind the sofa)...NOBODY even notices!!!! Most of the time they don't even notice the MWM/402s until we point them out!

This is our family room.  We have a lot of people in and out of our home.  Our guests, friends of my daughters and their families and customers....I have never once been asked or told anything negative about the way our audio equipment "looks".

Now THAT is a room!!! Wow