Frazier X-15

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

Until yesterday I had never heard of this speaker system. Now I own a pair. I happened across a CL ad for them and looked at the pics, read the post, went and listened and brought them home. I feel like I got a great deal and while they will require some work before being presentable in a home environment, I'm looking forward to the project. 

They are sitting in the garage at the moment with the midrange horns pulled off. Cabinets are extremely well made - impressive, really. All the components appear to be upgrades. The guy who sold them to me said they were in a studio in Seattle when he got them, back in the 80's.  

The listening test I did in his garage told me these speakers are amazing!  Even in this early stage I'm thinking I could replace my Klipschorns with them.

Pics to follow!

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 3

Excellent! Fraziers are known for excellent sound and excellent build quality. Make sure to join the Frazier User Group on Facebook! Also, you might actually be able to find real Frazier replacement drivers if you want to go back to original. You only need to do some research to find out what drivers originally came in them. FUG can help with that.

Edited by mustang guy

Guest Steven1963

Thanks! Unfortunately I do not do facebook. I'm pretty excited about this as I never thought I would consider selling my Khorns but, these have potential. First thing to do is put casters on them so I can move them around. Then I'll put them in the house for a listening test for a week or two. I hope that goes well! Then back out into the garage where I will tear them down and get started on re-finishing them.

Personally if I owned a pair of Klipschorn's or even La Scala's I would not look any further for speakers. If you ever want to let them go to a needy horribly disfigured/disabled gentleman keep me in mind? I have a properly setup pair of speakers. My Carver amp (almost) flat at 201w per channel @ 8 ohms 1Hz to 250000 Hz +0/-3dbs (-3dbs down occurs only in one frequency in the range that is outside our ability to hear) my other amp (Hafler) lists @ 110w 8ohms 10Hz to 20000 Hz +/-0. Some days I drive my Klipsch R-28F's with just the choice of one of my amps, some days with the Carver driving the top connection, Hafler driving the bottom end. Most days David Hafler on top with Bob Carver on bottom. Damping Factor is @ or over 150 on the Carver. Damping Factor is rated @ "somewhere" over 50 on the Hafler. Hafler S/N below .005, Carver S/N under .05. Because both have a DF over 50 they are solid state said to have "tube like quality". The sound I am happy with is from what I heard out of a $75,000 tube system. The saxophone stayed in the same position if you moved from the center seat or stood up and walked down center past the middle of both speakers which of course were electrostatic panels. So my system playing Vinyl LP's the music is perfect. Isn't that why speakers are labeled "reference"?

Edited by AllenTacey

Guest Steven1963

Got home from work and immediately put some caster wheels on them so that I could move them around easily.  Then I moved them into the house and I'm auditioning them on my system now. Here's some photos:

post-58311-0-43420000-1433474530_thumb.j

post-58311-0-13540000-1433474551_thumb.j

post-58311-0-50620000-1433474563_thumb.j

post-58311-0-49900000-1433474587_thumb.j

post-58311-0-66540000-1433474600_thumb.j

post-58311-0-93020000-1433474610_thumb.j

post-58311-0-53980000-1433474620_thumb.j

post-58311-0-00900000-1433474630_thumb.j

post-58311-0-77460000-1433474639_thumb.j

post-58311-0-68220000-1433474648_thumb.j

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Those look very cool in that room. Some TLC, and those could be quite nice. Just the kind of project that you KNOW will pay off in the end when you sit back and look and listen to your accomplishment.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. They have great potential. I see it, and you see it, but the wife doesn't!  :wacko: A great fit for those alcoves.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 2

If you fix them up and post them for sale on FUG and here, you might make a buck or two. Those are hard to come by I think. You should ask Todd Crane and John Daggett what you should do and what they are worth in tip top shape. They are the resident experts, and I know Todd Crane actually worked at Frazier in a high level position.

Guest Steven1963

I'm probably going to keep these. They are pretty amazing sounding. I'm already thinking of restoration ideas - such as mounting the horn in the space above the woofer and making the lens more easily removed. Probably going to have the network looked at. I'm open to some ideas if anyone is interested in giving input as to what they would do with them if they had them.