La Scala (Type) Build

I came across a pair of La Scala style Bass BIns. They look real nice, have 15" drivers in them, but thats it. No horns, no xovers. Im just looking for some direction/advice if I were to buy these. I went on parts express and they have quite a few options. I prefer the 2 way sound, like my rf-7's, over the 3 way sound. How would I select a horn that I wouldnt need to add a tweeter and how do I pick a xover? Is it as easy as just picking a quality crossover, horn, and horn driver or should there be more science involved!? Also, I know the La Scala lacks in bass as Ive owned a pair, would it be acceptable to connect an amp plate to the sub to get more out of it? Its a Crites woofer in it. 

post-53642-0-16580000-1433645547_thumb.p

Edited by philly0116
  • Like 1

Looks like you have LSI-BR-LF, LaScala Industrial, Birch Raw, Low Frequency unit. 

Should have a K43 in it from the factory, most probably a stamped steel version, as the cast frame woofers are newer and don't fit without modification. 

Michael 

Looks like you have LSI-BR-LF, LaScala Industrial, Birch Raw, Low Frequency unit. 

Should have a K43 in it from the factory, most probably a stamped steel version, as the cast frame woofers are newer and don't fit without modification. 

Michael 

Thanks for the info! I have this vision in my head of putting a monster horn on top of these things!! Lol. I just lack the direction and or guidance in doing so. I see JBL has some great large horns, then Im left with what crossover, what horn driver, tweeter, no tweeter, etc. 

There are others that have more varied experience so I'll let somebody else address 2 way options. I think the mid drivers that go high enough need a steep slope on the low end. 

You can see what I'm using in my profile.  All I am using of my LaScalas now is the bass bin:

La Scala 1976 
- Networks - Aletheia Audio Super AA (now called Super X) networks w/ OIMP V-Caps
- Tweeter - Beyma CP25

- Mid - BMS 4592ND-MID Drivers
- Fastlane Audio Eliptrac 400 Horns

I have physically aligned (vertically) the tweeter driver with the mid driver.  I think this setup would look great on top of those bins!

Oh... there it is... Colter has your 2 way answer!  What would you do for a crossover

The Eliptrac horn sounds great in the midrange, but may need a tweeter for best dispersion in the top octave.

It will measure flat on axis, but relections in the room (which can constitute 90% of what we hear) will not have the HF energy. In theaters they EQ for the reverberant field, and the HF will shave your eyebrows if you try to listen closer.

A constant directivity horn may be what you want for a two-way. It will measure essentially flat in both the near and far field. A CD type horn requires a more complex crossover, at both the low end, and at HF.

• 1 month later...

I just ran across these on Craigslist and my brother is passing through there this weekend. He offered to pick them up for me if I wanted. Got me thinking what it would cost to put a 510 on top and get them up and running. Anyone have any ideas? I figure you'd need a custom crossover, etc. I know nothing on the horn and driver pricing though.

Might make a cool project....

Isn't the k400 the horn in the La Scala? The point here would be to upgrade to something more like a 510. Wouldn't this basically be a Jub Scala? Since these are only the base bins you could build a top to house the 510. The

K402 would be too big for my room.

Of course I really don't know what I'm talking about. I have limited space and have dreamed of building a fully horn loaded system. Probably a horn sub in the future if I went this route. From what I've read here, the 510 and 402 are better than the old 400.

• Like 1

I've seen those listed on CL for awhile and wondered what they had in them. Just never got around to asking. What woofers do they have? Did you find out or did I miss that above? Or are they just the cabinets?

They are just the cabinets. I went to buy them and they were ROUGH. I passed on them. That pic was a little decieving. I was wrong about the crites woofer. He has no idea whats in them. He will sell cheap though Im sure if you dont mind a project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I came across a pair of La Scala style Bass BIns. They look real nice, have 15" drivers in them, but thats it. No horns, no xovers. Im just looking for some direction/advice if I were to buy these. I went on parts express and they have quite a few options. I prefer the 2 way sound, like my rf-7's, over the 3 way sound. How would I select a horn that I wouldnt need to add a tweeter and how do I pick a xover? Is it as easy as just picking a quality crossover, horn, and horn driver or should there be more science involved!? Also, I know the La Scala lacks in bass as Ive owned a pair, would it be acceptable to connect an amp plate to the sub to get more out of it? Its a Crites woofer in it. 

These are what I used to make a 2 way work. Not cheap, but not expensive (by hi-end standards, anyway). Active crossover is the the way forward, for me, at least, .. IMHO . 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/158061-ported-belle/

From what I've read here, the 510 and 402 are better than the old 400.

As an owner of a pair of LaScalas with the K400/77, a LaScala with the K510 for it and a pair of K402's, I can only say to please trust me.  When it comes to the sound, the K402/510 don't beat the K400, they crush it.

I am however, using an active crossover if that brings any negative points to someones opinion.  (no negative points from me, just disclosing it so you know up front)

I am one that likes big horns, the bigger the better. There are better horns than the K400 and I have replaced my horn with a different one and am using the K55M driver with it. That said I personally did not find anything wrong with the K400 while I listened to it which was many decades. I've read about the faults some people talk about but it was never a problem with me. My understanding is it is compromised somewhat to make it go as low as 400 hz for the mighty Klipschorn. You can buy a better horn but it is going to cost a lot more. Also for a good tweeter one can use one of the Eminence brands. This is somewhat close to the stock tweeter for the heritage with a different magnet to fit the cabinet. Good low cost tweeter for DIY and replacement for heritage if you do not mind it in a separate box on top of your speaker.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-apt-150-super-tweeter-with-horn-100-x-50--290-534

Which mid horn are you using with the k55? I know you mentioned the altec 511b and the 811b a few posts back, is it one of those?

My friend is using my old La Scala bass bins with a EV940 horn, and EVDH1A driver and they sound great (crossover is homemade and in the works still though, and they should sound even better when the crossovers are nailed)).