Added more polyfill and now subs move?

Superdave

You have change the tuning to act like the driver is in a larger box and it will play lower.  How do the subs weigh?  I have heard of som commercial subs dancing around the room but, not many DIY sub.  I guess you can find something heavy to place on the sub or use a rubber mat is the sub is on a wood floor.

Most of the DIY 18 in. boxes will weigh like 115 lbs. and should dance unless they are musical subs, lol.

They are heavy, right at 120lbs.

so how much total do you have in them now? 

6-7 lbs is my estimate.

Last night I installed some eye-hooks and used a rachet strap on each to secure. They have stopped moving, but now the xpa-7, pre-pro and dvd player are all moving. I was surprised to see that heavy amp move like that!

6-7 lbs is my estimate.

That's probably a bit too much.  The goal is to dissipate the air being compressed from the back side of the cone as well as turn the internal sound waves into low level heat.  Doing this makes the sub act like it is in a larger box.  Adding too much stuffing makes it act like it is in a smaller box than it should be and is more or less defeating the purpose.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The sub due and anti vibration pad will help a sub stop dancing as will a cheap mat from Homedepot for 1/3 of the cost.  The other things shaking in the house are due to the long bass waves and not much can be done with that.

A slightly over damp system can have tighter bass.  It may also stop some resonance in the box.  Most of these DYI designs have been looked and there is a recommended amount of polyfil per box.

Edited by derrickdj1

The sub due and anti vibration pad will help a sub stop dancing as will a cheap mat from Homedepot for 1/3 of the cost.  The other things shaking in the house are due to the long bass waves and not much can be done with that.

A slightly over damp system can have tighter bass.  It may also stop some resonance in the box.  Most of these DYI designs have been looked and there is a recommended amount of polyfil per box.

I'll get something from HD to put under the feet of the equipment to isolate them. I'd hate for that huge amp to fall off and crash to the floor! Ouch to the checkbook for sure.

The more I think about it, I believe it's due to the fact that these 2 boxes are on 2x8 framed pedestals, wood on wood, not much friction compared to sitting on carpet? 

My ultimax's flex more than your HT-18's and my baltic birch is lighter than your MDF and I have polyfill too yet they don't budget on carpet.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters