Amp for Klipsch RF 82 2.0 system

To start with please do not kill me..........

I know there is as ton of information regarding this topic. As I am still unable to decide on an amp and thus this topic

I have Klipsch RF 82 paired with Marantz SR5008 AVR and strictly a 2.0 system at least for an year. I am fine with the Bass these speakers are emitting so no sub for now which deviates my itch to an amp.

I have been on this set up since 7 months and was happy till I was cleaning my speakers and avr the other day where my eyes were stuck on to the pre out label on the avr and thus the "ITCH" for the power amp. I know I had an AVR with pre outs but never thought of upgrading until my eyes saw that section somewhat like when u see a babe with bikini on the street and your pants tell you to visit a strib club.

Now to be brief on my listening preferences. It is 50% music and 50% movies in a 17x10 ft room. I use appletv for netflix and youtube. Macbook with toslink for music. sony bluray player for movies

Budget: $500 max

By reading previous topics i narrowed down some amps

1) Emotive XPA-200

2) parasound 2125(new classic)

3) parasound zamp

4) Emotiva XPA - 2 (little bit out of my range but will wait for july 4th to see if Emotiva starts any secret sale)

But I would like like to add some more options to my list. Any advice will be appreciated.

Note:

I like the warm sound of that the marantz avr puts out. I tried an yamaha and denon before settling for marantz. Yamaha was to bright and denon was bright in some passages in movies. The above mentioned options seem like they output warm sound from what i have read.

To start with please do not kill me..........

I am sorry but that might result in a life behind bars or worse. ;)

Budget: $500 max By reading previous topics i narrowed down some amps 1) Emotive XPA-200 2) parasound 2125(new classic) 3) parasound zamp 4) Emotiva XPA - 2 (little bit out of my range but will wait for july 4th to see if Emotiva starts any secret sale) But I would like like to add some more options to my list. Any advice will be appreciated.

I think the Parasound 2125 is an incredible "budget" amp that will have an easy time with your RF-82's.  Neutral to "warmish" sound signature that should mate very well with your Marantz.

I owned a 2125 for a while with the matching preamp 2100 and it was a wonderful combination driving RB-35's, Heresys, Heresy II's, and my RF-63's.

The Parasound Zamp would be better off driving a small computer audio system, IMO.

Bill

• Like 1

Your room is on the small side, your speakers are on the sensitive side.  Keep in mind the relationship of power to subjective loudness, and the difference between what your Marantz can do and what an external amp can do.  Unless you're quadrupling available power, the differences won't amount to a hill of beans, and that's assuming you actually need the extra power in the first place, which has not been determined.

Rather than an amp, you would be better served putting that money towards a sub, and implementing bass management which will lighten the load on the Marantz.

Edited by Ski Bum
  • Like 1

Depending on how loud you listen, you may not need an amp.  A sub would add a lot to things.  It will take a big load off the avr and provide more power for the midrange frequencies which is what brings richness to music.  The amps Bill suggest are excellent if you choose that option.  Some people like an amp on their mains and it helps the avr handle surround duty.  It is kinda a personal choice thing. :P

• Like 1

ok if I was buying a powered sub which one would be a best match for this set of speakers...........................I know there is nothing wrong with my system now and probably i do not need an amp. But has $500 in my pocekt and thought amp may be the way to go as I am satisfied with the bass these speakers are emitting. But seeing at your reply if adding a powered sub may take out the load on AVR and it can provide more power to midrange than I may look out for a sub.....I am just confused what to upgrade in an audio system...

Edited by sreeram5mvn

It is a personal choice on which direction to go.  I have an amp because I like amps.  Do I need an amp on the mains, that is debatable.  I like the look of amps in the system.  Does it make music sweeter, yes, I love the psycho-acoustic effect and it would take a long time to get use to not having one in the system.

Design you own signature look for your system!!!  Many people use amps even on bookshelf speakers.

Edited by derrickdj1

There is always the option of saving the money until you.... no, go ahead and spend it!

I agree with Bill on the Parasound Z amp. I have one in my bedroom for the small form factor and it does perform nicely but I would not put it in the main system. If I went Emotiva I would look long and hard at the XPA-5. It way out performs it published specs when run in 2 channel and later you are ready for 5.X.

The sub idea is valid, especially with the 50% movies. You may be fine with the bass for music but it will really add another dimension for HT. 

The to make it more complicated, a center channel would be sweet also. If you watch for deals, maybe a sub and a center?

I have a really nice set of Outlaw Audio M2200 mono blocks feeding 200wpc if you are interested in something like that. They offer both XLR and RCA options. Only been used a few months flawlessly. They have a nice neutral sound and enough power to make your speakers sing.

I just picked up a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks so the Outolaws are odd man out as of this weekend. They sound fantastic!

PM me if you or anyone else is interested. $350 plus actual shipping for the pair.

Edited by teaman

I have a really nice set of Outlaw Audio M2200 mono blocks feeding 200wpc if you are interested in something like that. They offer both XLR and RCA options. Only been used a few months flawlessly. They have a nice neutral sound and enough power to make your speakers sing.

I just picked up a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks so the Outolaws are odd man out as of this weekend. They sound fantastic!

PM me if you or anyone else is interested. $350 plus actual shipping for the pair.

If I was in "need" of amps right now, those Outlaws would be mine.  Super price.

I am located in tallahassee, FL

That is cool, not too far away.

You should seriously consider those Outlaw monoblocks.  I promise your 82's would thump with those babies.

Bill

Edited by willland

and it would take a long time to get use to not having one in the system.
not really. i sold my 7-350 and dont miss it one bit.

The sub idea is valid, especially with the 50% movies. You may be fine with the bass for music but it will really add another dimension for HT. 
yep!! 

I promise your 82's would thump with those babies.
i honesty dont think they would thump any harder than what his marantz is capable of. come on lets talk him into to what we know will really help. he watches movies. that is all that needs to be said. a subwoofer would benefit him ten fold over what an amp would benefit him.  

Three things...

1. I agree 100% with the others that a sub for movies is hugely beneficial and will add another dimension of enjoyment.

2. I have witnessed very few receivers that cannot be improved upon with external amplification, at least for the fronts and center channels.

3. Sorry Scrappy, I would still be crying if I parted ways with a 7 - 350...

i honesty dont think they would thump any harder than what his marantz is capable of.

It is obvious that your experience with adding an amp to your mains is different than mine.  When I first put my Acurus A250(now own A200) on my RF-63's, they thumped with a tightness and speed that I had never heard before.  Power comes in different flavors and is not always created equal.

come on lets talk him into to what we know will really help. he watches movies. that is all that needs to be said. a subwoofer would benefit him ten fold over what an amp would benefit him.  

I can't deny that at all but the OP's original post indicates that he is interested in adding an amp to the equation so that is what my replies are and have focused on.  Of course he should get a good subwoofer for movie watching but I wanted to focus on helping him achieve what he was originally wanting advice on, amps.

From this quote I have responded:

"I have Klipsch RF 82 paired with Marantz SR5008 AVR and strictly a 2.0 system at least for an year. I am fine with the Bass these speakers are emitting so no sub for now which deviates my itch to an amp." 

I happen to think those Outlaw monoblocks are awesome amps for a great price at less than half of what buying a new pair would cost.

That's all.

Bill

• Like 1

and it would take a long time to get use to not having one in the system.

not really. i sold my 7-350 and dont miss it one bit.

yep!!

I promise your 82's would thump with those babies.

i honesty dont think they would thump any harder than what his marantz is capable of. come on lets talk him into to what we know will really help. he watches movies. that is all that needs to be said. a subwoofer would benefit him ten fold over what an amp would benefit him.

You people already have shifted my focus to subs.....

Thanks for the replies.....the point that a sub may take out the load on the avr so that it can concentrate on mids was something that didnt knock my mind and now it lead me to subs

Meanwhile while doing some research found many posts saying that the SVS subs may be a good match for these klipsch.....

I am looking for more suggestions like how many watts and what size(10, 12 or 15) sub may be suitable as my budget remains the same

Amp upgrade will be on my mind but will be moved to 2nd priority for now....it may come into picture when i change house in 2 months where my listening room is bigger than the one in the current home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of good sub choices sreeram. Usually a good 12 inch sub is plenty but if your $500 can buy you something larger go for it. I have three Speakercraft subs that dig pretty deep and keep a nice clean bass that fills my room. SVS, REL, HSU are all very good subs. Some of the Klipsch reference subs are nice too, although I have to be honest I am not enjoying the copper spun woofers as much as most other people are.

ok if I was buying a powered sub which one would be a best match for this set of speakers...........................I know there is nothing wrong with my system now and probably i do not need an amp. But has $500 in my pocekt and thought amp may be the way to go as I am satisfied with the bass these speakers are emitting. But seeing at your reply if adding a powered sub may take out the load on AVR and it can provide more power to midrange than I may look out for a sub.....I am just confused what to upgrade in an audio system...

I bought a SVS PB-1000 and I really like it.  For a smaller room it's great.  It's not boomy at all.  Great for movies and good with music.