WTB: Cornwall's in nice condition. Chicago Area

mark61107

Mark,

Just a bit of advice due to some recent knowledge that I gained. I run klipsch quartets (very similar to forte's) and love them. My dad loves them too. So much that he wanted me to search for a pair. I finally found a set up in the suburbs of Chicago for 300 along with a center channel speaker. I went and bought them, and brought them over to my dads. Before we brought them over to my dad's we hooked them up in my house and did A and B testing between his and mine. They're identical except for I have the upgraded Crite's tweeters.

They sounded the same, more or less. Both very good. However, after installing them in his house he gets very little bass out of them. I have a normal room which opens up into a larger room, but only the 8 foot ceilings. He has cathedral ceilings in his room. In addition to that though, he's using a newer Denon AVR. He was having issues with the lackluster bass he was getting out of them. So anyway I brought over an extra vintage Marantz and we hooked that up and it made a world of difference. I notice the same things with my RF3-II's that are hooked up to my Denon AVR for movies. The amp doesn't have the lower end extension that other amps do. I don't think it's the vintage, I just think maybe it's the way the amp was made. A more modern stereo amp may have the same better bass. 

I only say this as a word of caution. I live in Rockford too, so if you ever would like to try the quartets out in your room with your amp, I am not opposed to bringing them over someday, if that interests you. Rooms and amps play a big difference in the sound you'll get, so I'm just giving a word of advice when it comes to listening to a pair of speakers somewhere, it may not sound the same at your place. 

Thanks,

Matt

Add to your list of potential speakers, the Forte II's and Rf-7's.  I don't think I'd use your sub with any of these speakers though.  It would be the weak link.

CECAA850,

Thanks for the recommendations.  My current sub is a KSW-12 thats part of a 5.1 system that I'm trying to upgrade from.  What unit would you recommend that you like better?

Mark,

Just a bit of advice due to some recent knowledge that I gained. I run klipsch quartets (very similar to forte's) and love them. My dad loves them too. So much that he wanted me to search for a pair. I finally found a set up in the suburbs of Chicago for 300 along with a center channel speaker. I went and bought them, and brought them over to my dads. Before we brought them over to my dad's we hooked them up in my house and did A and B testing between his and mine. They're identical except for I have the upgraded Crite's tweeters.

They sounded the same, more or less. Both very good. However, after installing them in his house he gets very little bass out of them. I have a normal room which opens up into a larger room, but only the 8 foot ceilings. He has cathedral ceilings in his room. In addition to that though, he's using a newer Denon AVR. He was having issues with the lackluster bass he was getting out of them. So anyway I brought over an extra vintage Marantz and we hooked that up and it made a world of difference. I notice the same things with my RF3-II's that are hooked up to my Denon AVR for movies. The amp doesn't have the lower end extension that other amps do. I don't think it's the vintage, I just think maybe it's the way the amp was made. A more modern stereo amp may have the same better bass. 

I only say this as a word of caution. I live in Rockford too, so if you ever would like to try the quartets out in your room with your amp, I am not opposed to bringing them over someday, if that interests you. Rooms and amps play a big difference in the sound you'll get, so I'm just giving a word of advice when it comes to listening to a pair of speakers somewhere, it may not sound the same at your place. 

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank your for sharing what you learned with your Dad's set up.  I moved recently so my AV system (Denon AVR 2802, Klipsch SF-2 Fronts, KSW-12 sub, SC-1 Ctr) had been in boxes for about five months during the move.  So I hadn't heard the system in a long time.  When I set it up again I was surprised how poor I thought it sounded. The SF-2s sounded muddy and muffled with very little bass.  Once I hooked up the sub the bass was better but still disappointing overall.  I set up an old pair of Infinity Studio Monitor 80's bookshelf speakers and there was a night and day difference--they are clear and crisp, albeit without alot of bass either.  I did quite a bit of tweaking with the tone controls and couldn't do much to improve the sound of the SF-2s.  I also have a nice Sansui AUG77XII receiver from the 80's.  I hooked it up A/B to the Klipsch set and the Infinity set and it was the same scenario.

With the whole system set up, including the center channel, the Klipsch system is ok but definitely not great.  i know it wasn't a high end set up when I got it.  Maybe it is the Denon/speaker combo.  I was at a friend's and he has a pair of Heresy's and they were crystal clear again.  I have been reading how important the amp/speaker combo is.  Maybe that's my issue here.  At any rate, I've got a great room and just want to enjoy music in it, thus all the questions.  I appreciate all the good input and advice.  It sounds like there are many great Klipsch speaker combinations out there.  And thank you for offering to let me hear your quartets at my place.  I had another member offer to let me come over to his place to hear his speakers to listen to the differences--much appreciated!

Add to your list of potential speakers, the Forte II's and Rf-7's.  I don't think I'd use your sub with any of these speakers though.  It would be the weak link.

CECAA850,

Thanks for the recommendations.  My current sub is a KSW-12 thats part of a 5.1 system that I'm trying to upgrade from.  What unit would you recommend that you like better?

There's a lot out there.  If you can DIY there's a bunch of options.  If you purchase, there's a different set of options.  I'd start a thread in the subwoofer section if I were you once you're ready to get something.

@Bytown Boogie That is nice size room, I would suggest a double pair of LaScala Industrials with a MWM sub woofer. You will need an active cross over and a sub woofer amp. It will be so full sounding no matter what you play on it.  I do have Cornwall industrials as well but are better suited for smaller room. I also have the 18 inch subs. I freaked out when the stereo shop had a pair of MWMs and was blowing out his lighter to demonstrate the air movement. I have used 8 pair of LaScalas with two pair of MWMs outdoors on a stage about 2 feet high and the bottom end kicks like a horse. The bass becomes distinguishable not just a rumble.

I am near Ogdensburg NY, I sold 2 pairs of MWM to a member that lives in Chicago to use in his basement!

Very Nice Chorus II South Suburbs, $699.00 INMHO a better blanced speaker than the Cornwall, as well as a tractrix mid range horn.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ele/5075494536.html

Best of luck with your search,

John

Thanks John!  I'd seen that pair on CL.  Colter and Opus had some questions about the Woofer surrounds shown in the pics. Maybe a repair done incorrectly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...