Powering the klipsch heresy

john

When I moved from a 125 wpc amp to a 300 wpc amp the Heresies saw significant improvements. Same for use of my KP-250's which are very similar to the Heresy II's. Originally I ran the UPA-2 from Emotiva and they sounded really good, when I upgraded to the XPA-2 they came to life....especially the KP's.

I listen to hard rock most of the time and I listen loud but even at low volume the speakers seem much more pronounced with the higher wattage amp in place.

Edited by teaman

.....maybe....

I understand the whole db per watt deal, just saying that even though you can run the speakers on flea watt amps I find the more power you throw at them the better they sound. It has been shown in testing in Sterephile, Sound & Vision and so on that the sensitivity ratings are often inflated....even with the Klipsch. They just tested out a pair of Reference a few months back and the ratings were 4 db higher rated that they tested.

Even my KG-4's sound much better with high power amps. Initially I was running them in stereo powered by a Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver and they sounded good, when I moved up to seperate amplification they improved by leaps and bounds....even though the rating on my receiver was higher than my amp. When I stepped up again in power they sounded even better.

I also have a couple pair of Infinity Studio Monitors that are 102db efficient. When I run the 300wpc through them they singbut....I have been pondering adding a set of 600wpc mono block XPA-1's because they sound even better with more power!

Edited by teaman
  • Like 1

Paul Klipsch had a Dope from Hope article on this subject - linked below for the entire article. These figures are based on single-speaker output into a 3000 ft^3 room while allowing peaks 10 dB above average to pass without clipping:

https://community.kl...attach_id=69980

AMPLIFIER RATINGS TO DRIVE KLIPSCH SYSTEMS_table Page_2.jpg

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

So according to that spreadsheet I would require 185 watts before I begin to come close to a Klipshcorns maximum spl output? How does that compute when considering they only handle 100 watts? And what is meant by the "reverberant field?" Does that mean further out into the room than 1 meter? I guess that's what is throwing the numbers?

Edited by Steven1963

When I moved from a 125 wpc amp to a 300 wpc amp the Heresies saw significant improvements

Try a better quality amp. 

I went from a Emotiva 125 watt amp to a McIntosh 50 watt amp, and the Emotiva was sold that winter.  

Personally I love my Scott 222c on my Heresies, nothing like 20 watts of tube power to make them sing.

number and facts are silly.  :rolleyes:

You forgot boring too.  I thought about raising the point of "noise" when running separates where noise can be an issue if the amplifier is too powerful or has too much gain.  However, then it would have led to a silly and boring discussion of how noise can come from the preamp circuitry and become much more apparent when boosted by high amplifier gain.  :o  :wacko:

So according to that spreadsheet I would require 375 watts before I begin to come close the Klipshcorns maximum spl output? How does that compute when considering they only handle 100 watts? And what is meant by the "reverberant field?" Does that mean further out into the room than 1 meter?
375 watts to roast the coil. And yes, further out....ie. the numbers are on the conservative side.

Heresy take more prodding (power) to produce the same SPL as the big horns. The trade-off is more harmonic distortion, which can be pleasing to the ear at lower levels for some folks.

Hi,everyone.I have a quick question...Does more power you have with your amp make the klipsch heresy 2's sound better?Thank you.

I would say no also.

I have driven my Heresy II's, and Heresys, with many different amps, receivers, etc.  From 52w/ch from a vintage Marantz 2252B receiver to a 250w/ch Acurus A250.  Now the Acurus did provide a bit more punch in the midbass and more detail, but that may be attributed to the design of the amp over the wattage.  

IMO, Heresy II's(and HI's) are pretty forgiving speakers and sound pretty great with many types of amplification.

Look at my gear profile and you will see what my HI's and HII's are paired with and I have no complaints with the results.

You know how some speakers sound better with more wattage.I am thinking of upgrading my amp

"Upgrading" does not always mean more watts.

Bill

When I moved from a 125 wpc amp to a 300 wpc amp the Heresies saw significant improvements

Try a better quality amp. 

I went from a Emotiva 125 watt amp to a McIntosh 50 watt amp, and the Emotiva was sold that winter.  

Personally I love my Scott 222c on my Heresies, nothing like 20 watts of tube power to make them sing.

I still disagree with you. My buddy used to run a McIntaosh tube amp....still owns it....but now runs a Bryston 4B-SST pumping out 250 wpc paired with his KHorns and it sounds amazing. It's not that you can't run flea powered amps, you can....and some people like yourself actually prefer that...I don't ....and in my experience with over forty different speaker and amp combos in my lifetime the higher power amps (as long as it is clean power) bring the most out of your speakers.

Ever wonder why concert venues and auditoriums don't run 20wpc amps through efficient speakers?