La Scala Mod Project Completed

mwiener

Mweiner / Full Range -

Thanks so much for the detailed information! I really appreciate the what you have each provided here. I am very interested in building a set of these, and what you have written is very helpful.

If I have it right, with the bass boxes, the speaker assembly should be about 50" tall, correct? Of course, that would not include any spikes, etc., to support the assembly.

I understand that you each have the LS sitting directly on top of the bass box; besides gravity, have you done anything to firmly affix the LS to the bass box?

Full Range - did you do anything like Mweiner to provide additional support inside the bass box?

Thanks again for your posts!

Edited by spezjag
  • Like 2

You are correct.  Mine stand at 46.5" tall.  That is 1" for feet, 11" for bass bin, and 34.5" of LaScala (LaScala has the base pad removed).   There is nothing affixing the LS to the base box except gravity and some weather strip tape at the bottom of the LaScala.  Sticky side on the LaScala.  By putting tape on the LaScala, you can easily go back and forth between bass bin and stock just by switching what the speaker is resting on.  Putting the tape on the LaScala is the only mod I will do that is not immediately reversible.  I figure an afternoon with a putty knife and I can put them fully back to stock if I were ever to sell them.  I don't think anyone would take off the bottom to see the scrape marks.

I have a few other things I am doing.  Currently re wiring the speaker internal connections as well as the amp connections.  Rewiring the amp connections produced a noticeable increase in the 4k to 8k range.  I always used 16 strand zip cord, but went to Monoprice 12 ga 87 strand.  I did each speaker one at a time, and I could hear the difference after doing one of the two speakers.  Not sure if it was the wire or just better connectors.  My test rig shows a small improvement, but not enough to be definitive.  It sounds better to me and it was a minimal cost.

I also have a 22" x 22" x 1" piece of foam I am going to try to smooth out the low end 100-700hz.  Also a pair of K55V solder lugs with 2 phase plug out of a pair of K horns that I am going to try in the next couple of weeks to increase 4-7k output.

If all goes well, I should be done with all the mods in a month or so.

One thing I realized I omitted on this thread, I never thanked djk for both the bass bin and the foam information.  I apologize for the oversight and thank you.  I don't have anywhere near the horn or speaker design knowledge of most of the individuals in this forum, but thanks to your insight and explanations I am able to take that information and create some incredible sounding speakers.   I will post the final frequency plot when I get it all done.

Mike.

Edited by mwiener
  • Like 1

Mweiner / Full Range -

Thanks so much for the detailed information! I really appreciate the what you have each provided here. I am very interested in building a set of these, and what you have written is very helpful.

If I have it right, with the bass boxes, the speaker assembly should be about 50" tall, correct? Of course, that would not include any spikes, etc., to support the assembly.

I understand that you each have the LS sitting directly on top of the bass box; besides gravity, have you done anything to firmly affix the LS to the bass box?

Full Range - did you do anything like Mweiner to provide additional support inside the bass box?

Thanks again for your posts!

Probably better to post a photo or three of the inside frame & supports for you

Just remember that plywood is extremely strong

post-57741-0-76320000-1436619926_thumb.jpost-57741-0-01840000-1436619904_thumb.jpost-57741-0-74000000-1436619843_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Thanks OP and everyone who helped this thread. After my tube rebuild (Eico HF22s), this is the next thing I want to do. Full Range that is a sweet avatar.

Edited by drtool
  • Like 1