RF-82 receiver/amplifier suggestions

I am looking for suggestions for RF-82 receivers/amplifiers for 2 channel audio. I was using a Pioneer Elite VSX-95 that I loved. The sound stage was perfect and the audio felt like it embraced you but after 20+ years it is starting to have some issues. I tried a Onkyo receiver, the sound stage was terrible but the power was equal to the Pioneer. I am currently using a Adcom GFA-545II amp with GTP-600 preamp. It is not bad sound stage wise but the sound is a little midrange heavy. The power is a little down compared to the Elite also. 1/2 volume on the Adcom equals about 1/3 on the Elite. It just feels like it is missing something. I would like to update but just not sure what to go with. I use a high end Onkyo system on my RF-83's due to I needed a system for home theater but even it did not sound as good as the Elite on 2 channel audio. The newer Elite is Class D digital so I was not sure if that would compare to the vintage Elite. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Will this rig only be for 2 channel audio or are you planning on incorporating into multichannel music and HT?

I ask because if you want stellar stereo music then go with a quality stereo integrated amp or preamp/amp combo like you have with your Adcoms.

Now for a stereo music/HT combo, use the Onkyo and grab yourself a preamp with HT bypass feature.  One good example would be a Parasound Model 2100/2125 combo.  The 2100 preamp sounds great and does have HT bypass and the 2125 has plenty of power for your RF-82's.

WDF-Parasound.jpg

Just one suggestion out of many you will get on the forum.

Bill

You want to hear your RF-82's sing like never before, go get this.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/5063247746.html

Providing it is in proper operational order(minus treble knob), your RF-82's will come alive like never before.  The amp section alone is worth the price of entry, very seperates-like at a true 160w/ch+.

For the advertised price, if for some reason you are not pleased with the performance, and I doubt that, then Ebay is your friend and these R-117's commonly go for over $400.00 to upwards of $650.00.

Here is a link to the ad where I sold my Luxman R-117 here on the forum for $475.00.  I do miss my R-117 very much and made(asked) the forum member buyer to give me first shot if he ever decides to sell it. :D

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/143512-fs-luxman-r-117-receiver-the-one-to-have-sold/?hl=luxman

Bill

Edited by willland

Thanks for the suggestions. It will be two channel audio only. I think I would like the Adcom system I have now if I add an EQ.  It just doesn't have the warmth of the Elite even when running the Elite in direct mode with no signal processing. I am not sure on that Charlotte Craigslist post. That may be a hot unit. 

I am not sure on that Charlotte Craigslist post. That may be a hot unit. 

Hot meaning ouch hot, or stolen?   If I had to guess, I would not think your "average" stolen goods peddler would put their phone number in their ads. :unsure:

Even if you are uneasy about the Luxman's origin, trust me on the sound quality and power.  

It will be two channel audio only. I think I would like the Adcom system I have now if I add an EQ.  It just doesn't have the warmth of the Elite even when running the Elite in direct mode with no signal processing.

Your Adcom pieces are nice gear and I am sure plenty of power to drive your RF-82's. They are also equipped with bipolar output transistors(like my Acurus amps) which tend to give the sound a more neutral signature(which I prefer) as opposed to warm like your Pioneer Elite.  I doubt any amount of EQ'ing will make the Adcoms sound like the Pioneer.

Now with that Luxman R-117, you get incredible bass drive capabilities, sweet velvety "warmish" and detailed midrange, and unlimited dynamic headroom.

Bill

Edited by willland