Acoustic panel questions

gadgtfreek

Any of you using acoustic panels?

I am thinking that will be my next step, and anyone that has looked at my room said to start with some behind the towers.

I was thinking 24"x36"x2" panels from ATS behind each 7ii, maybe 48" if they fit.

IMG_1655_zpswkfbufsb.jpg

IMG_1653_zps2gei9t8y.jpg

IMG_1647_zpsyzkdffig.jpg

Thoughts?

http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--ATS-Acoustic-Panel-24-x-36-x-2--1046.html

Room dim you can see are 25' long, 13' wide and 14' tall.

Edited by gadgtfreek

I'm thinking you'd get more out of either absorption or diffusion on the back wall.  Take a look at first reflections... usually the side walls would be the first I'd consider but I can't quite see what you would do in your situation.

• Like 1

OK.

The chat I had with an AV guy in my home was starting with panels behind the mains and center, and then some on the back wall. As with new to me HT stuff, I know jack about acoustics.

I sent those three pictures and a description to GIK, and they should get back to me as well. I will update when I hear back. The cieling, which you cannot see is a slope and I told them that. basically the front wall (speakers) and back wall(our seats) are about 25' long each. At the 10' height mark, they slope inward to a point and that is 14'.

It's hard to predict a room like that.  

I put this link on this forum all the time but Jim Smith really gives some good advice!  Nice guy and really wants people to get the most out of their sound system.  Get Better Sound  You might not be able to follow all of his advice because of room constraints but try what you can.

• Like 1

That room layout looks like mine in a way couch against back wall sucks , I would also put one behind the center ch as well as the towers

Side reflection is not really and option in that layout

Edited by A1UC
  • Like 1

Here is what I got back from GIK

"Thanks for the email.  Yes panels behind the speakers will help with things like SBIR, but looking over your pictures I would start with something like our 244 bass trap or Monster Bass Trap behind the couch on the wall. You are sitting very close to that wall so the reflections are going to be pretty strong.  I would recommend 2 to 4 panels in that area if possible to start. I would hang them as close to the couch so they are directly behind your head.  From there I would look to place one 244 behind each speaker to help with the SBIR. "

Looks like that want some 4" thick ones on the wall with seats and behind speakers. I could get 3 24x48" panels one the wall behind the chairs and spread them out.

• Like 1

Here is what I got back from GIK

"Thanks for the email.  Yes panels behind the speakers will help with things like SBIR, but looking over your pictures I would start with something like our 244 bass trap or Monster Bass Trap behind the couch on the wall. You are sitting very close to that wall so the reflections are going to be pretty strong.  I would recommend 2 to 4 panels in that area if possible to start. I would hang them as close to the couch so they are directly behind your head.  From there I would look to place one 244 behind each speaker to help with the SBIR. "

Looks like that want some 4" thick ones on the wall with seats and behind speakers. I could get 3 24x48" panels one the wall behind the chairs and spread them out.

I was just going to say that you more than likely needed 4" panels! :)

Looking at you listening distance - using RF-7II's....You're actually in the near-field! 

Edited by prerich

Yeah, it seems 4" think panels are the way to go. Knowing what I know about the panels, which is nothing, what should I expect my adding 3 or 4 24x48" 4" panels on the wall behind us? What do they do?

Curuois as to how a before and after REW run would look.

I'm sure some would disagree but you aren't going to absorb much low frequency even with 4" panels.  That stuff below 100hz is going to fire right on through IMHO.  That's OK... even 2" absorption is going to help a lot... I just don't want you to think you are getting more than what you are.  Pulling the couch forward just a little bit might make a big difference too... just have to experiment.

Here's a page that shows absorption values of different products

http://www.atsacoustics.com/page--Selecting-the-Right-Acoustic-Material--ac.html

• Like 1

One thing i read was that the 4" (and even 2") reduce mid and upper range comb filtering and room reverb. All of which should help clarity.

Like I said, all this is new to me. The experiment on the back wall will not cost much, so it will be fun to see what happens.

And i agree from what I read, it's hard for stuff to work on that low freq, but there are other things to do there. Hopefully the whole thing can improve sound quality by reducing distortion.

• Like 1

Also, check out how to DIY acoustic panels.  You can make some much cheaper than buying them and, you may learn a couple of other things along the way.  I like the comment on the 4 in. panels only doing so much with the deeper bass.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

If your going to do it, do it. Don't buy two panels and get zero results. You're going to need at least 10 panels for that room with the angles and openings. Bass panels knock out drones, but wont take care of the echo's and reverb from your walls and ceiling that horns seem to produce in big volume.  Stick with 2 inch panels. 2' X 4' is a perfect size and don't look bad at all with a suede or a Gillford of Maine covering material. Make sure they're not an eye sore and will match the color of your room and what color it might be later on.   Its going to cost you a grand to do it right, but you will be asking yourself why you didn't do it sooner, because you will be hearing things you never heard before. 

I would certainly encourage a DIY project for this.

Instead of using the Dow Corning 70x, try the Roxul safe & sound. It has the same specs, considerably cheaper and can be easily found at the Big Box home improvement stores. You can get fabric at Joanns or online and it will be less pricey than the Guilford of Maine products (although they are typically treated to make them fire retardant).

As mentioned above, treat the first reflection points with a couple of inches of roxul (2 x 4 ft is fine) and the corners with as much as you can get away with (be creative with disguising it and making it decorative).

Good Luck,

-Tom

Thanks guys, great input.

I full y realize it is going to take more than four panels, and that is what GIK said. I am just planning to do it in steps and the wall behind us is the first step. I am going to put four 24x48 panels up there ASAP.

One thing about 4" vs 2" is the 2" sure do seem to be more pleasing on the eyes.

Also, check out how to DIY acoustic panels.  You can make some much cheaper than buying them and, you may learn a couple of other things along the way.  I like the comment on the 4 in. panels only doing so much with the deeper bass.

Bass requires real bass traps - bass wavelength are extremely long!!!! 

Yes, I know some bass traps may need to be a foot or more thick to affect the deep bass.  In my room I have 2x4 panels and balance out the the room Tx's with plush furniture, carpet, things in the room and the room shape itself to get control over reflections and bass decay.  It not perfect but it is pretty good and aesthetically acceptable to the family.

Edited by derrickdj1

Thanks guys, great input.

I full y realize it is going to take more than four panels, and that is what GIK said. I am just planning to do it in steps and the wall behind us is the first step. I am going to put four 24x48 panels up there ASAP.

One thing about 4" vs 2" is the 2" sure do seem to be more pleasing on the eyes.

I agree, and after you get all the upper range panels hung you may or may not even need the thicker panels.  Open closets and corridors  bring on the drones bad and I have two of them in my room, but after I hung 80sq feet of panels in 360 sq ft room, they're gone.  If you do look at the bass traps, check out the ones that have cut angles and float outside the wall corners. They're supposed to offer almost double the duty mounted this way. Check them out in this link. 

http://www.acoustimac.com/cbts424/

• Like 1

I ordered two of the ATS panels yesterday, 24x48x2, just to get me started.  After looking at their pricing with shipping, and comparing that to a DIY project, and considering the cost of materials and the time involved (plus I have about 900 other projects going at the same time....) I thought it looked like a pretty decent deal from them.  I ordered around noon yesterday, and they will be delivered today, very fast ship.

• Like 1