Crossovers... Type A vs Type AA

cheric

I have a pair of Lascala with type A xovers,  should they be replaced with type AA for tweeter protection purpose?

These speakers are being used in the living room, not window shattering volume. Except for the tweeter (zeneer) protection, is one better than the other?

Edited by cheric

Besides the zeners, the tweeter is further protected by a higher-order high pass filter. I have heard both on Klipschorns. You would be hard pressed to hear much of a difference. There might be some difference if you try the comparison at loud vs softer levels.

You can disconnect the diodes at least and try listening for a difference.

BTW, there are other things you can do that will provide more concrete differences rather than swapping between type A and AA networks (room treatment for instance)

• Like 1

Sorry for the snarky response...I would imagine there's some type of technical range of safety, but of course a lot would depend on the condition of the diaphragms in the first place, so I don't think that a degree of "loudness" would be easy to quantify...If you're just playing them at "living room level" I think you will be just fine.

"Is it safe to use the A's? How loud does one have to play to blow the tweeters with A's?"

When 60W amps became common there was a bit of a problem.

When McIntosh came out with the 100W MC2100/2105 they pretty much started dropping like flies (PWK called the Mac a 'stove').

• Like 1