Passive preamps

The Dude

• 5 years later...

Reviving this old thread since I have never gone down the passive preamp road before....until now.

A few days ago I got the Schiit SYS. Call it a preamp, a switcher, an attenuator.....whatever. In my system I'm calling it a preamp because it took the place of the previous preamp and does the same thing.....and does a very good job at it to my surprise.

It has two inputs and one output. One volume knob and one button to switch between the two inputs. That's it.

I'm intrigued because the sound quality coming out of my speakers with this passive preamp in place is remarkably good if not great. Dead quiet and again to my surprise actually has a warm sound apparently because now there is only the DAC and amp as major contributors to the sound quality. No active preamp to influence the sound.

This thing was only $50 bucks brand new from Schiit. I've slightly scratched the surface and see there are others out there that don't break the bank either. I've put the SYS in a secondary system and now I'd like to find another possibly better one for the main system. It seems passive preamps should be seriously considered with sensitive speakers. No?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There is another one, think it is an AEC brand for the same amount. Used one of their phono pre with decent results. Diz here still using.

Was looking at the SYS recently for another members fix for a line level control

Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

There is another one, think it is an AEC brand for the same amount. Used on of their phono pre with decent results. Diz here still using.
Thanks billybob. Have a link?

9 minutes ago, SWL said:

Looking  at Amazon under passive preamp for home. Not yet but, there are others there like nobsound, bellari, etc.

Amazon where bought product.

2 hours ago, SWL said:

Actually it was TEC, Technolink products. This one not totally passive but there are others as mentioned:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/TEC-TC-740A-Variable-Mic-Line-Phono-Preamp-Versatility-In-a-Very-Small-Package/401021554778?

Reviving this old thread since I have never gone down the passive preamp road before....until now.

A few days ago I got the Schiit SYS. Call it a preamp, a switcher, an attenuator.....whatever. In my system I'm calling it a preamp because it took the place of the previous preamp and does the same thing.....and does a very good job at it to my surprise.

It has two inputs and one output. One volume knob and one button to switch between the two inputs. That's it.

I'm intrigued because the sound quality coming out of my speakers with this passive preamp in place is remarkably good if not great. Dead quiet and again to my surprise actually has a warm sound apparently because now there is only the DAC and amp as major contributors to the sound quality. No active preamp to influence the sound.

This thing was only $50 bucks brand new from Schiit. I've slightly scratched the surface and see there are others out there that don't break the bank either. I've put the SYS in a secondary system and now I'd like to find another possibly better one for the main system. It seems passive preamps should be seriously considered with sensitive speakers. No?

What other item did you have hooked up?

I once had the same model and it did exactly what I needed for the time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What other item did you have hooked up?

I once had the same model and it did exactly what I needed for the time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

You mean what other preamp did I compare with?