Time-aligning the La Scala. (video)

Just a quickie I shot tonight with the cellphone while watching our latest rental. Struck gold.

The author of the clip was Turd Ferg3zon.  Really?  Turd Ferguson?  Pretty funny.  :D

+++

As for your comment about the music fitting the movie, great movies always have great music.  Star Wars, Gone with the Wind, ET and of course many more.

From the 1940 movie, here's a great one for all you Erroll Flinn swashbuckling types, The Sea Hawk!

(beginning to 1:40.  Try 9:50 to the end if you like to sing along  B) )

Edited by wvu80

• 1 month later...

Comparing physical alignment vs. DSP yesterday. Not easy considering all the variables involved. Bearing in mind that simply moving the tweeter changes a lot of things at once....much more so that just lining up an impulse. The difference is noticeable, but not as profound as switching the DSP ON/OFF. Aligning the squawker signal to the bass bin is no joke in that regard. :blink:

Overall, I liked what I heard though, and like others on this forum, would go so far as to recommend trying it out (in the absence of DSP). :emotion-21:

I'd wager that physically aligning all three drivers of a split LSI (because the squawker can also be moved) would have them sounding pretty damn good.

post-40059-0-50320000-1458167590_thumb.j

• Like 1

I'm beginning to believe that alignment of drivers within 1/4 wavelength at crossover (x, y, and z axes)--which includes time alignment of the drivers--is at least as important as low modulation distortion, the thing that's different between direct radiating drivers and horn-loaded ones. 

Perhaps this is why people like full-range drivers and small direct-radiating monitor loudspeakers, even though their inherent modulation distortion is at least 25 dB higher at 90 dBC (measured at one metre) compared to a La Scala.  They just can't play them at anywhere near concert performance level.

Chris

I'm beginning to believe that alignment of drivers within 1/4 wavelength at crossover (x, y, and z axes)--which includes time alignment of the drivers--is at least as important as low modulation distortion,
All the compromises certainly add up. Easy enough to cherry pick them "out" of a particular design, particularly in regards to the Heritage line, but it's certainly not the same result as a design that mitigates as many concessions as possible from the start.

• 1 month later...

I've been physically time aligning my lascalas for the last several decades. I actually did it the first time in 1979. Although I'm not using the stock mid-range and tweeter anymore, I'm enjoying much more coherency sound staging and all the other good things a true time aligned System brings. Tried digital time aligning but I had a drive rack at the time and the results weren't too great. A good tool to check crossover slopes though on the Fly

I've been physically time aligning my La Scalas for the last several decades. I actually did it the first time in 1979.

So you're talking about the tweeter relocation on top to the back of a cabinet?

How are you time aligning your bass bins to the midranges?

Chris

It's looking like having an active crossover setup with crossover, time delay and EQ for home audio doesn't need to be a separate pro audio component anymore.  Nice to see this.  Klipsch has these chips in their powered speakers as well.  Good to see all this.

For anyone looking to bi-amp or tri-amp their stock La Scala in an effort to align them, delay values are as follows:

LF   0 ms

MF  0.5 ms

HF  2.0 ms

Curious... where are these delay values from please?

For anyone looking to bi-amp or tri-amp their stock La Scala in an effort to align them, delay values are as follows:

LF   0 ms

MF  0.5 ms

HF  2.0 ms

Curious... where are these delay values from please?

Schu, I think those can be calculated. Speed of sound, length of horn.

It's actually more accurate measuring it using something like REW, since most people miss the added phase shift of the crossover network, which further delays the LF channel.  That way you don't have to guess. 

Is that room dependant if using this plot or is it more accurate to calculate using math calculations?
Just use your receiver to sample your system. It'll display results specific to your setup. It's a feature available in the MCACC menu and removes a fair bit of the leg work involved with using outboard gear. (calibration files, loop backs, etc.) Not to sway you one way or the other, but it's already paid for. Might as well give it a try.

Everything in the digital signal processing domain is calculated. The only measurements taking place are time and sound pressure.

• Like 1

I am wondering about this because I dont see it in my set up on the 85 as a separate value that I can manipulate. I am wondering how that would work because the signal comes from the avr as a single signal to the speaker, how would the avr be time aligning each driver in a speaker? Is it based on the cross over frequency?

I do see individual speaker alignment, but not driver alignment.

It's a feature available in the MCACC menu and removes a fair bit of the leg work involved with using outboard gear. (calibration files, loop backs, etc.) Not to sway you one way or the other, but it's already paid for. Might as well give it a try.
Understand that if you already have MCACC with those measurement features, I would assume that you'd use that. 

I was referring to those above that don't have those features built into their AVP or AVR and want to measure driver channel delays without significant cost. 

Chris

• 3 weeks later...