What’s Your Next Show?

BigStewMan

Im thinking about going to see the Rolling Stones Saturday night (July 4th) at the Indy Motor Speedway. Even though I've always been a 60s , 70s, and 80s British rock fan, I've never been much of a Stones fan, was a fan of Zeppelin, The Who, Foghat, Bad Co, Queen, Clash. I've seen all of them but not the Stones. 

It's either there, or go to Dale Hollow lake in Tenn and ride in my brother's new Sea Ray boat.

• Like 1

Foo Fighters on July 19th (Fenway Park, Boston) if Dave Grohl feels well enough not to cancel. Ya gotta give him credit for finishing the show in Sweden after falling off the stage and breaking a leg.

That was definitely hard core, classy guy. He's taking over the music industry.

• Like 1

My last concert was last night, a cover band for Abba called Abra Cadabra.  They were awful.

Cover-10462863_680819915328282_440398137

My town has a free open air concert every month right on the bank of the Ohio River.  They have had fantastic cover bands for the last two years, James Taylor, Eagles, Heart, Springsteen, Journey, some others.  Then there was Abra Cadabra.

Due to rain they moved the concert indoors to the local HS gym, which is pretty large and could hold 3,000.  The girls were pretty, sang  well, although the band was light using guitar, KB, and a drummer who did not use a trap set.  He used ride and crash cymbals, congas, bongos, and lots of tambourine.  He did a good job, but it was musically uninteresting.

The sound guy must have been deaf if he couldn't tell the band was waaaaay too loud for that venue.  The bass was one-note boomy, overpowered the rest of the band and pounded my chest from 50 yards away.  The vocals/lyrics were unrecognizable due to distortion, and every note had distortion.  I stuffed my ears with toilet paper then used my fingers in both ears over top the paper and my ears still crackled.  I, along with about half the people left in less than an hour. My ears are ringing now, the next morning.

I would say the SPL was 130 or above.  It was that loud, and it was that bad.  Abra Cadabra was just a terrible concert experience all around.  :emotion-45:

Edited by wvu80

The bass was one-note boomy, overpowered the rest of the band and pounded my chest from 50 yards away. 
I know what you’re talking about.  A few years ago, I saw B.B. King.  Walter Trout opened up for him and was fantastic.  When B.B. started…it felt like someone was punching me in the chest.  The bass was so overpowering, that i left after three songs  The tickets were given to me free of charge, so I didn’t lose any money at least.

I just got back from the largest Arts and Crafts show in West Virginia, a 3-day event.  There was live music in three places all day long all three days.  Lots of local trios, a fiddle and a couple of guitars, banjo guys, 5 piece small ensembles, all local to WV or Appalachia.  The audience sits 10 feet from these guys, and it's just fantastic music.  No fancy sound systems, just musicians who have played all their lives performing in t-shirts and shorts, just playing for the love of playing.   THIS is what music is supposed to sound like.

Any of these small groups gave a ten-times more enjoyable performance than the crapola Abba cover band from last night.

Edited by wvu80

Knowing me knowing you it's the best they could do.

OK, you made me laugh.  So far that's the best thing that happened as a result of that concert.

Just some advice, If you want to keep your mancard, I don't think I'd be advertising advertising that I knew too many Abba songs.  :ph34r:

Maybe he’s the Dancing Queen?

C'mon Stew I'm not the one who actually went to an Abba cover band concert...

mama mia brian!

okay, we must give the real ABBA credit, they are the band that knocked Bohemian Rhapsody out of the number one spot…it was their song Mama Mia.  

Edited by BigStewMan