first time try of horns, what klipcsh to try?

Jim Naseum

Guest Steven1963

I was going to suggest Lascalas sans the corners because they are great horns and you would have cash left over. But if you have 'regular' corners and you want the best bass then get the Klipschorns. Problem is, 2k is on the lower end of their used value so you may not find a pair that are pristine (pretty rare at that price) and may fall into your category of fixer upper, depending on how you define that term.

I'll echo what most have said... If you want the full "horn" experience then LaScalas (you'd need a good subwoofer) or Klipschorns would do it.

But, I'd recommend starting with Forte II, Chorus II, KLF 20/30, the slightly harder to find Epic CF 3/4 or even a pair of Cornwalls. All of those would sound great with oldies rock and would be more forgiving with regards to room placement. And you'd only need $500-$800 to get started.

Then if you liked those, they'd be easy to sell with little or no loss on the price you paid and you could make the step up to the LaScalas ($700-$1000) or Khorn ($1500-$2500).

All the prices I mentioned should generally get you a used pair in good to excellent condition... with some variance depending on your location and the finish/veneer.

Check out the garage sale section here in the forum and/or start looking through Craigslist and eBay. You should be able to find a pair in a relatively short period of time.

• Like 2

You've got $2k to spend? Ok, here are my recommendations 

1. If you have corners - go for the gusto and get Klipshorns - you many never buy another speaker again

2. If you don't have corners but need bass without a subwoofer 

A-1. Cornwalls

A-2. Chorus II

3. If bass below say 48hz isn't very important to you at all - and you have no corners - LaScala!!!! 

Some answers to ???

I have a100W amp... nice.

I have regular corners... not sure what special corners means.

I only want the total horn... Not standard woofers. Should have monster base!! Loll

You will not get "Monster" bass with La Scala's.  You will get decent bass and great midrange, but many will recommend pairing a subwoofer with the La Scala.  You will definitely get the horn effect that you desire.  Would certainly recommend that if you do find a nice used pair of La Scala, and they have stock crossovers, that you update the crossovers.

• Like 3

Guest Steven1963

Lascala is a wonderful speaker system. But you will not get the monster bass you are looking for. You will need to pick up a subwoofer - and a nice one to keep up with the high output they will deliver. For the full experience without needing a subwoofer, get the Klipschorns. If you have corners in your home that are on the same wall and amply spaced and no windows (ideally, as they will likely rattle) then those are ideal corners. BUT, Klipschorns also like tall ceilings.

Get the Lascalas and listen to them for a couple months. Then see what direction you might be interested in taking. Post pictures....we love pictures!

Edited by Steven1963

If you let us know where you are located, someone might offer you an invitation to demo their system.

Otherwise keep a lookout on Craigslist and get a demo that way. Listening to them yourself is much better than advice on the internet.

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 2

OK, just read about elites with 5000 posts who really know the horns best and here those elite are saying klipdchorn by one of them and chorus regular woofer for the other! Then some say bad base for the horn. I will not spend money for subwoofers... No way Jose!!! LOL I'm in long bch. Looking now for used PR with fullhorns for 2k.

• Like 1