Tapped Horn subwoofer. Is this a crazy idea?

teknoid

I'm getting closer to making a considerable investment in what I hope will be my LAST 2 channel system. Plans for that system include a pair of La Scalas. Having previously owned a pair and knowing that they don't go very low a subwoofer or a pair of them is also in the plans.

The idea is this. Build a pair of tapped horn subwoofers working with the width and depth dimensions of the La Scalas. Build them such that they act as "risers" for the La Scalas.

Yea... I'm sure someone here is going to suggest doing the LS ported riser mod. I tried that with the pair I owned. Yes, it did improve the bass output but I felt like it took something away from the sound of the La Scalas.

The inspiraion for this idea is a friend of mine who DJs for a living. He has a pair of smaller Danley Labs tapped horn subwoofer and I've been amazed aout their bass output.

So should I go back on my meds or what?

I don't know the difference of tapped horn vs folded horn.  But there are a couple that come to mind.  TTLS, LiL wrecker, Cinema F20, our resident sub builder will chime in here short l with some more ideas. 

But no your not crazy, I am build 2 Danely THSpuds for my home theater.   Some folks have Danely DTS-10s. 

don't forget to slap a K510 or larger K402 on top (and ditch the K400/401 & K77)

I swear Roy must pay you to say that, though it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I don't know the difference of tapped horn vs folded horn.  But there are a couple that come to mind.  TTLS, LiL wrecker, Cinema F20, our resident sub builder will chime in here short l with some more ideas. 

But no your not crazy, I am build 2 Danely THSpuds for my home theater.   Some folks have Danely DTS-10s. 

don't forget to slap a K510 or larger K402 on top (and ditch the K400/401 & K77)

It's one of those "if I knew then what I know now" things  Only problem is, it is such a small population that have heard/owned them, you have to keep repeating it.  I'll bet you a nice crayfish dinner that he would not have thought about that on his own (but would have read hundreds of posts about "refreshing his crossover")

• Like 2

I think it is a great idea. I have suggested the exact same thing in another thread for my Belle's. I was planning on starting on this project sometime in the late summer early fall. The idea of not taking up any extra floor space and raising the Belles at the same time sounds like a win/win. I like the bass provided by horn loading and would like to try in a sub as well. I have not bought the plans yet but have been told you can choose 6 1/2" woofer or 8" or 10". I am afraid the 6 1/2 wont keep up and the 10" would be too large for my living room. If you do take the plunge, keep us posted.

I don't know the difference of tapped horn vs folded horn. But there are a couple that come to mind. TTLS, LiL wrecker, Cinema F20, our resident sub builder will chime in here short l with some more ideas.

But no your not crazy, I am build 2 Danely THSpuds for my home theater. Some folks have Danely DTS-10s.

It's one of those "if I knew then what I know now" things Only problem is, it is such a small population that have heard/owned them, you have to keep repeating it. I'll bet you a nice crayfish dinner that he would not have thought about that on his own (but would have read hundreds of posts about "refreshing his crossover")

You know what's funny. I was talking to Al K. One time about his recommendations for a new network. Other than the fact he did recommend one model over the other. He did recommend getting rid of the k400 right off the bat. [emoji6]

Your best option would be to run a THT or F-20 with your mains.

Running 2 subs under your mains may seem like a good option but subs should be placed where they function and sound best and not where they fit the best, probably not what you want to hear but its the truth.

The reason i choose those 2 subs is its best to cross over near 100 Hz where your mains no longer benefit from horn loading and will help keep distortion at its lowest.

Tapped horns will not reach upper frequencies as well as a full horn loaded subwoofer will.

You could do with a Table Tuba or two but the larger THT or F-20 will offer lower distortion and play lower notes.

• Like 1

I'm getting closer to making a considerable investment in what I hope will be my LAST 2 channel system. Plans for that system include a pair of La Scalas. Having previously owned a pair and knowing that they don't go very low a subwoofer or a pair of them is also in the plans.

The idea is this. Build a pair of tapped horn subwoofers working with the width and depth dimensions of the La Scalas. Build them such that they act as "risers" for the La Scalas.

Yea... I'm sure someone here is going to suggest doing the LS ported riser mod. I tried that with the pair I owned. Yes, it did improve the bass output but I felt like it took something away from the sound of the La Scalas.

The inspiraion for this idea is a friend of mine who DJs for a living. He has a pair of smaller Danley Labs tapped horn subwoofer and I've been amazed aout their bass output.

So should I go back on my meds or what?

Well if you medication that you are on is called Compactitall maybe you should stick with it. LaScala is a fair sized horn box good to about 90Hz (yes it plays lower but with a diminished output level so 80-90 Hz. is a good xover point). You have a problem in that it is not possible to scale horns. Further the smaller the driver you choose to horn load for a sub the longer the horn will need to be which will only add to the overall bulk. So the lower you want the horn to play the larger the cabinet will be. There are some compact small driver tapped horn designs out there and they can provide additional bass extension however the level at which they can provide this is much below that of the LaScala within its range. So if the level they produce works for you good. You might find that 4 such subs distributed about your listening room can provide a quantity of bass level that you are happy with when you want to play loud and it will help with room modes. Time to build some test cabinets to see if they will do what you expect/hope they will. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

Quote from the first post: "Yea... I'm sure someone here is going to suggest doing the LS ported riser mod. I tried that with the pair I owned. Yes, it did improve the bass output but I felt like it took something away from the sound of the La Scalas."

The OP did not say if he had used an EQ filter with his riser mod. That might be worth investigating before a big build project. DJK is the man to ask about this he knows all about the riser mod and how to EQ it properly.