Tapped Horn subwoofer. Is this a crazy idea?

teknoid

Moray hit the nail on the head, Low playing horns can not be small. sure you can have a 24 x 24 footprint if you want your LaScala's against the ceiling.

Not to mention raisng the LaScala's off the floor only puts you farther away from Lows because your removing the loading the floor provides.

See #5

post-57173-0-33860000-1435437097_thumb.j

Edited by cradeldorf
  • Like 1

There are many tapped horn designs available. One quick search for drawings shows a design that has the cabinet @ 37.56" tall by 30.75" deep by 13" wide (for 12 inch subwoofer). This cabinet laid on its side would be 37.56" wide x 30.75" deep and 13" tall. A good base for a Belle that is 30" w x 19" deep. Do this for both speakers and you would have a great amount of added bass. I was not dead set on a 12" subwoofer version, but those were the first plans I found. I could not read the specs on the Anarchy smaller version without going inside for my glasses! I guess I'm just stubborn. I have a pair a Heresey's in another room that I can add the sub to if it doesn't work out. I've seen some very positive reviews of these little subs and just want to give it a shot.

• Like 1

it will really depend upon your desired level of play back. every time you double up cabinets you will pick up 3db more output and that is why I suggested four units or more they are fairly stealth and don't take up too much room. Combine that with the added control of the room modes and you have a good option but they won't be able to track your LaScala all the way up as far as output level goes. Vovotreter has a lot of hands on experience read his experience with tapped horns you will pick up a lot of information. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

Can't speak for everyone, but  that's what I am looking for. I will build two to start. I will use a cnc router so additional units will be ez after I set up the file. Rockhound has basically the system I envision in his "LaScalla-LaScalla II or Belles? What's next?" thread. He ended up with the LaScalla II (prototypes) and has two Anarchy 25hz tapped horns with them. Change the Scalla's to Belle's, lay the tapped subs on their side, put the Belle's on top of them and you have what I planned.

thanks.

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 1

Can't speak for everyone, but  that's what I am looking for. I will build two to start. I will use a cnc router so additional units will be ez after I set up the file. Rockhound has basically the system I envision in his "LaScalla-LaScalla II or Belles? What's next?" thread. He ended up with the LaScalla II (prototypes) and has two Anarchy 25hz tapped horns with them. Change the Scalla's to Belle's, lay the tapped subs on their side, put the Belle's on top of them and you have what I planned.

thanks.

Amazing, do you know about Tim?

He's in your back yard.

phone number listed here:https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/157843-klipsch-galore-horns-bass-bins-in-st-louis/

• Like 1

a pair of University Dean or Classic horns would be a much better combination because you would maintain the high efficiency levels lower down yes they are larger but they work really well. Worth looking into at some point in time. Good luck with you project I hope that you will be well pleased.

• Like 1

the house was built during the depression so not a lot of frills, but the fireplace was different for sure. I rarely notice the colors except in photos. Maybe its because I have been here for going on 27 years now. Solid brick home built to last.

Moray hit the nail on the head, Low playing horns can not be small. sure you can have a 24 x 24 footprint if you want your LaScala's against the ceiling.

Not to mention raisng the LaScala's off the floor only puts you farther away from Lows because your removing the loading the floor provides.

See #5

That would only apply to the already weak "sealed 15 in a box" portion of a LaScala (below 104 Hz.). The REAL horn portion of a LaScala is 104 Hz. on up and would not be affected that much, which is why I recommend a full horn and not a tapped one, so you can cross at 100 hz.

• Like 1

How about dual BFM thtlp's, one on each side firing into the corner (with a la scala on top of each) 18" hight sounds pretty good. 24" deep is about right for depth of la scala and 72" long (if you have this amount of space.) They play up to 100z and down to 20hz. 

Don't get stuck up on TH not going past 50 Hz. 80 Hz is more like it, in reality.

From a tech. standpoint, .. TH typically cover 1.5 to 2 octaves, so assuming you're NOT aiming for  below 20 Hz, and design well, you should be good. Personally, I feel 25 - 30 Hz is a good design compromize for TH in terms of results, bandwidth and reasonable size.

If the "subwoofer-riser" is an approach that you are dead set on, 

another approach would be to employ a quad of reasonably sized drivers (maybe 8" to 10") in a pair of PPSL bass reflex riser box . The driver size will ultimately determine the height of the riser.

Edited by zobsky