Room treatment question

Coytee

Basement room is the room, per the wife, "you can do whatever you want"

Except of course, she's not sure she likes the idea of that "big speaker" in the garage (LaScala) becoming the table under the tv

Except of course, the two Danley's that we all know about that are currently sitting in the garage

Except of course, for any bass traps

Except of course for.....well....you're getting the idea.

Enter today.  They've been cleaning out their fathers house (after 2 years sitting empty) and she's brought some pictures over.  They mean nothing to me but of course, have the sentimental value to her and (sigh) it seems they look good in the man cave.

She's trying them on the back wall, opposite the Jubilee's and if it ever gets there, the center LaScala.

She has several so let's just say she can cover 20% of the wall.

Then it hit me.....  would it work if I put something behind them to absorb?

Meaning....  if the picture is say, 20"x20", put a similar sized by 2" thick base behind it or....more interestingly, put a seven FOOT by eight FOOT absorption panel on the back wall and put the pictures on that.

I'm expecting that the pictures, because they have glass on their fronts, would render ANYTHING behind them useless, I might as well put them directly on the drywall.  The space between the pictures might get absorbed but to the degree I have any glass on the back wall, that glass wall may as well be a mirror.

(just thought of another idea....  shadow box them.  I'll have to approach that one with her)

• Like 1

It never ceases to amaze me how guys will let their woman pretty much take over the entire home and then you try to get a speck of it and they end up wanting part of that too. My suggestion is you take your balls out of your wifes purse and make a stand Man!!! Tell her to put that crap up on her walls, You got plans for your cave.

• Like 3

Depends.... If the pictures are behind glass, then any damping material would be of little or no benefit as most mid and high frequencies would be reflected before they could be absorbed and you'd need at least 8" of material behind the picture to have any real effect on the lower frequencies (as well, the location of the pictures would preclude most benefits to lower frequency damping). In fact depending on their placement, adding reflective surfaces to your walls can be quite detrimental to the sound. If the pictures are actually paintings or prints without glass, you could benefit from 3-5" thick material behind them, depending of course on the placement. Rule of thumb for those without a mic and sound analysis software, the best place to hang absorption material is at the first reflections.

• Like 2

It never ceases to amaze me how guys will let their woman pretty much take over the entire home and then you try to get a speck of it and they end up wanting part of that too. My suggestion is you take your balls out of your wifes purse and make a stand Man!!! Tell her to put that crap up on her walls, You got plans for your cave.

^

• Like 2

I have a sign that I point out to the wife since she KiCkeD me out of the living room:

All Those Who Enter

1.  My cave.  My Rules.

2. Man Decorates Man Cave.
3 Sports on TV 24/7.

4. Wine spritzers grounds for immediat expulsion.

5. Man controls all remotes.

6. All chick flicks are banned.

7. Dog's welcome

8. No complaining at any time

9. Talking about feelings earns lifetime ban.

10. Man is always right

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 3

I have a sign that I point out to the wife since she KiCkeD me out of the living room:

All Those Who Enter

1.  My cave.  My Rules.

2. Man Decorates Man Cave.

3 Sports on TV 24/7.

4. Wine spritzers grounds for immediat expulsion.

5. Man controls all remotes.

6. All chick flicks are banned.

7. Dog's welcome

8. No complaining at any time

9. Talking about feelings earns lifetime ban.

10. Man is always right

Here is my HT sign... 20150417_173140_resized_zpsvqkawyyg.jpg

• Like 1

Depends.... If the pictures are behind glass, then any damping material would be of little or no benefit as most mid and high frequencies would be reflected before they could be absorbed and you'd need at least 8" of material behind the picture to have any real effect on the lower frequencies (as well, the location of the pictures would preclude most benefits to lower frequency damping). In fact depending on their placement, adding reflective surfaces to your walls can be quite detrimental to the sound. If the pictures are actually paintings or prints without glass, you could benefit from 3-5" thick material behind them, depending of course on the placement. Rule of thumb for those without a mic and sound analysis software, the best place to hang absorption material is at the first reflections.

I agree.

• Like 1

I asked my wife for her opinion on decorations, but I decided what i wanted to do in the HT...There were no exceptions.

We bought the house with me having only 3 things that were 100% mine...

1: The garage

2: A pond

3: A home Theater which we had in the living room until I decided I wanted a dedicated HT, and I had a carport built for our cars. At that point i gave her the Family Room and converted the garage.

• Like 1

Can the glass be removed from the picture frames?  If so, it should be done.

With a lot of absorbing materials elsewhere (especially at the first reflection points), and some diffusers, you might get away with it.  If the pictures are opposite the Jubilees, you might get a little slap back echo; if the pictures are anywhere else, keep them well away from the first reflection points.

Since she knows you are dedicated enough to get Jubilees, she would willingly put the pictures in some other room, right?

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

I asked my wife for her opinion on decorations, but I decided what i wanted to do in the HT...There were no exceptions.

3: A home Theater which we had in the living room until I decided I wanted a dedicated HT, and I had a carport built for our cars. At that point i gave her the Family Room and converted the garage.

We have a pool and a pond, Pond would be good for you. :D ~Chevy Chase Caddyshack. :D

• Like 2

We have a pool and a pond, Pond would be good for you. :D ~Chevy Chase Caddyshack. :D

We had a pool, and filled it up... We then built a 7400 gallon pond which is the entrance to the HT..

20150505_135302_resized_zps3hi3ijkx.jpg

• Like 1

The best you can do is scan the pictures and have a printing company print them on canvas. Then you can build your treatments and wrap the front and side with the fabric.

Too bad you have such an awesome system, but don't have bass traps or permission to use the danleys. Bass traps made a big difference for my system. Same with room treatments.

How much are you wanting for the danleys, are you looking to sell?

• Like 2