SI HST-18 vs HT-18, is it a fair fight?

Superdave

Kicking around the idea of replacing the HT-18's with HST-18's, and going with the D2 ohm option with a iNuke6000DSP per two subs for a total of 4 subs, (2) iNuke 600dsp's. I initially wanted to add four more HT-18's for a total of (8), but can't it passed/ convinced through congress, so I'm thinking this might be the next best thing.

Would it be a considerable increase in output?

Thoughts...

Edited by Superdave

Dave from the pic on the other thread, you have a big room that is open.  Have you worked on a flat FR before any bass boost or autocalibration?  This done pre autocalibration can help with power management, i.e, better headroom for deep bass.  The HST will have 3-4 db more output over the HT driver especially in the subs lower passband.  With 4 subs, that is a decent increase but, is it enough?  Vented subs would be better than sealed for rooms over 5-7000 cu ft.

How big is the room?  Are you using only an avr for sub EQ?  Do you have Omnimic or REW?  Are you size or location restricted?

Edited by derrickdj1

I'm inquiring with a good friend who has heard every sub out there. I'll get back with you when I hear back from him.

Thanks.

Do you feel you don't have enough bass already? I mean you do have a huge room I know i would have wanted more but I'm a bass head for sure.

I would like to get the amount of bass like I have felt when in a car. But, I do realize that it would take several to fill up that room.

Dave from the pic on the other thread, you have a big room that is open.  Have you worked on a flat FR before any bass boost or autocalibration?  This done pre autocalibration can help with power management, i.e, better headroom for deep bass.  The HST will have 3-4 db more output over the HT driver especially in the subs lower passband.  With 4 subs, that is a decent increase but, is it enough?  Vented subs would be better than sealed for rooms over 5-7000 cu ft.

How big is the room?  Are you using only an avr for sub EQ?  Do you have Omnimic or REW?  Are you size or location restricted?

I have not ran the autocalibration or bass boost yet via the pre/pro. The only thing I have done with the pre/pro is set the speaker distances manually. 

The room is 7308 cu ft.

I have played slightly with the dsp of the inuke.

I using REW. I'm location restricted to the current placement of the subs, BUT I can install larger sized boxes without problem.

Dave, a subs natural response is to dip on the low end.  Getting some good graph of what your FR is in the room is the correct first step in identifying the problem.  In the sub section I recently did a thread and it shows how bad the bass response was in the room prior to and after making various adjustments.  There is a good chance you are not getting all that the HT driver offers.  I heard a system with four SI HT drivers a few weeks ago, and those driver can put out a tremendous amount of deep bass.

There are guys here that can help with REW, Omnimic and the graphs. :)   I don't even like making blind recommendations without some measurements.

Dave, a subs natural response is to dip on the low end.  Getting some good graph of what your FR is in the room is the correct first step in identifying the problem.  In the sub section I recently did a thread and it shows how bad the bass response was in the room prior to and after making various adjustments.  There is a good chance you are not getting all that the HT driver offers.  I heard a system with four SI HT drivers a few weeks ago, and those driver can put out a tremendous amount of deep bass.

There are guys here that can help with REW, Omnimic and the graphs. :)   I don't even like making blind recommendations without some measurements.

Derrick, that makes sense. I need to make a some runs with REW and post the graphs to get feedback. It might just be me, case in point, we had two families over tonight and I demoed the system to them and they were, this is by far the best they have ever heard, lows,mid and highs. Hopefully, I'll have some down time in the next two weeks to set up REW and make some test runs to post.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Your room is huge! To replicate that sensation you get when in a car with subs you're going to need more than 4, IMO. Would you consider building a different type of sub? A few horns would fill that room very well. Something like the Gjallarhorn?

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=45&mset=42

Two of these would provide substantial pressure for a room your size.

Your room is huge! To replicate that sensation you get when in a car with subs you're going to need more than 4, IMO. Would you consider building a different type of sub? A few horns would fill that room very well. Something like the Gjallarhorn?

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=45&mset=42

Two of these would provide substantial pressure for a room your size.

There's physically no way to implement that size enclosure into my room, concealed behind my small wall wall. I'm working on a design and will post the outcome when done. Will be similar to a horn type sealed box. But thank you for the information Rowman611! 

Edited by Superdave

A friend of mine had the SI 18 in a 4 cu ft ported cabinet and it was easily one of the hardest hitting subwoofers I've ever encountered with a surprising amount of upper bass detail. Incredible sub.. until it blew up. He replaced it with an Ultimax 18 and it sounds OK, not nearly as good as the SI but it has lasted a lot longer already.

A friend of mine had the SI 18 in a 4 cu ft ported cabinet and it was easily one of the hardest hitting subwoofers I've ever encountered with a surprising amount of upper bass detail. Incredible sub.. until it blew up. He replaced it with an Ultimax 18 and it sounds OK, not nearly as good as the SI but it has lasted a lot longer already.

prolly

A case of not running a limited. The si is not a high power handling sub. But I do enjoy mine more than the ultimax I've heard.

The SI is an extremely nice sounding sub. My friend was just gun shy after losing his and decided for only $30 more or what not he could get a sub with twice the power handling ability. I think the biggest problem he's facing is that he re-used his 4 cu ft box for the Ultimax driver (since he already had it) and everywhere I've read says that it needs at least an 8 cu ft box, preferably a 12.

The optimum vented box for the UM 18 is 11 cu ft.  An SI in a 20 cu ft vented box is off the hook in performance!  I like the sound of both the UM 18 and SI HT 18. SQ wise these are almost identical IMHO.  The box size and shape will affect the SQ due to with  frequencies play well with the box.  I am debating using the stacked, sealed UM 18's and putting them in some vented boxes later this month or next months.  Maybe I am just looking for something to build, lol.

The output of my UM 18's in the vented boxes trumiph the sealed boxes by a large margin.  I just don't know where to put to more large boxes at the moment.