Why there are things for sale in Arkansas

jtubbs6117

I noticed one day my RF7's just didn't sound right, the low end just was not there anymore. So I started the search amps seem to be ok. Then a couple days later I decided to look into the speaker the source of the problem. As you can see from the pictures I had an amp fail that sent full cap discharge to my left RF7. One thing to be happy about with me running one amp on the HF and one on the LF it only cooked the LF. My friend and repair man said this was the first time he had ever seen a speaker output relay fail in the closed position. But I thought you guys might like the story. I am going to replace all 4 ten inch drives for a complete LF overhaul. Yes this was a sad day. 

post-37953-0-38880000-1435495695_thumb.j

post-37953-0-18720000-1435495704_thumb.j

post-37953-0-62840000-1435495711_thumb.j

post-37953-0-54680000-1435495723_thumb.j

post-37953-0-27480000-1435495737_thumb.j

post-37953-0-62840000-1435495750_thumb.j

post-37953-0-64680000-1435495758_thumb.j

• Like 2

This also will mean when I am done I will have 2 good 10 inch drivers sitting around. I am thinking about calling Bob crites to see if he would  build me a custom center channel using his hf driver and his xover. But that's just an idea. 

Where are you going to find four RF-7 drivers, and for how much?

I saw a couple for sale on Ebay $100 each, but if you look in the used market, you'll be in the same place as before.

+++

Edit:  Our posts "crossed" while posting.  :)  I like your idea of the custom center.  The only problem I see there is that the 10" woof would make for a giant center, as the standard RC-7 uses 8" woofs, with each woof using a different XO point.

Edited by wvu80

You can still get them from Klipsch parts department. For about 161.00 each if I remember correctly. It would make a killer center channel. I remember reading older post where a couple members have done this already. Would love to hear about your experience and how you did it.  

You can still get them from Klipsch parts department. For about 161.00 each if I remember correctly. It would make a killer center channel. I remember reading older post where a couple members have done this already. Would love to hear about your experience and how you did it.  

Here's forum member Gorm's build and some drivers in Phoenix

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/131360-rf-7-as-a-center-channel-custom-build/

Phoenix:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ele/5076192755.html

• Like 1

Before you go custom building something you need to come visit me in Paducah KY, which is probably only 3-4 hours away from you. I have a perfectly good and almost new center enclosure for these things that is built like a tank and may be able to get the drivers as well. Doing this has pros and cons. The bass is just silly awesome for a horizontal center, plus panning is way more seamless than a typical horizontal center. However due to the width of the box and the size of the drivers, horizontal lobing while off-axis is an even greater factor than usual. But yeah the box below could be yours. :)

IMG_2963_zps6m9wcx6k.jpg

IMG_2944_zpswym8tt0w.jpg

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

"My friend and repair man said this was the first time he had ever seen a speaker output relay fail in the closed position."

Happens frequently. DC into an inductive load will cause the relay to fail (arcs and then welds itself when it tries to open).

• 1 month later...

Oh and awhile back I bought a set of KLF 20's the guy I bought them from made a center out of one WOW what a phenomenal center that was! Hope you get those 7's fixed before I get up there next Thursday as I've always wanted to hear a pair.

• 3 months later...