Another legend lost

Feezelbum

from Wiki: 

One of the best-known multiple-necked bass guitars is that used by Chris Squire (of Yes) for the song "Awaken." This is a replica of a guitar built by Wal for Roger Newell of the English Rock Ensemble. Squire's original triple-necked bass guitar had a four-string fretted neck, a four-string fretless neck, and a six-string tuned in octaves (tuned to aA-dD-gG).

So the top neck isn't a six-string guitar at all, but a 'three string' doubled and tuned in octaves, so it would play somewhat like an 8-stringed bass, which gave him higher octaves and that doubling effect used at one portion of the song. Jon Anderson also uses a small harp during the song. 

• Like 2

i have a million black shirts…why didn’t i wear a black shirt?  

Chris had a form of leukemia and had been sick for several months.  

A black shirt and everybody would think you're part of the band.  And seeing the pick if I didn't know who's to say you're not.

Kokomo's Mike Milligan, founder of Steam Shovel, after I had just met him, I was taking pictures at one of his sets in my new Mike Milligan and Steam Shovel 20th Anniversary Shovelhead tee shirt 1993 - 2013.  One couple thought I was part of the band as did a few others.  

I mentioned that to Mike and he said something like who's to say you aren't or maybe you are.  

Thinking about that, the fans of a musician or band, are in a small way, and maybe important way for many like Chris, are part of the band.  Many musicians play for themselves, but they also play for their fans and feed off that energy, and many, I'd hope most, are very thankful their fans allow them the lifestyle doing what they love most.    

• Like 1

That's a bass rig too - 8x10, Marshall 4x12, two 18" bins, and a couple other cabinets up top. If you sat in front of Chris at a show, it kicked you in the sternum all night and rattled your bones when he stepped on the Moog Taurus bass pedals. 

It's nice when bands take pride in providing good quality audio. Some bands just sound better.

• Like 1

Finally dug out YESSONGS album yesterday for the daytime usual. Man, 40 minutes of music that seems like maybe 6, it just flows by.

I remember back in the summer of 72, playing the heck out of a eight track to YESSONGS driving from Dallas to UNT for the things that keep a young man alive.

Had a 72 VW with the eight track in the glove box to hide it from being borrowed, cant remember the brand of eight track player, something that started with an A I think.

The VW had 3 by 6 stereo speakers in the door, had a sun roof, I thought the sound in that car was Heaven.

Dribble, dribble dribble.

• Like 3

Chris Squire's bass playing gave the band a bottom end like no other band.  When I was first listening to The Yes Album, soon after it came out, his playing made me think of a bulldozer that would drive through anything.  It just dug in and kept driving.  He also influenced Jon Lord of Renaissance, one of the few bands to use lead bass and no guitar.

I was lucky to see them live twice.  The first time was in Toronto at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1973 and the second time was in 1997 or '98 at Massey Hall, also in Toronto.  I was surprised to see Steve Howe use a special stand so he could use two guitars while playing Starship Trooper.

Here's a clip of them playing that song at the Lugano Festival in 2004.  Chris gets down at the front of the stage during the his solo about half-way through.  Full screen and high volume are recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0p9SGPaRAc

Edited by Islander
  • Like 2

That triple neck bass was constructed so he could play the track Awaken live. Chris played the bass pedals along with it. 

In recent years he didn't take the actual Moog Taurus setup, but had a custom pedal board with the sounds sampled into it. During Starship Trooper especially (the part I demo my THX subs to you guys with), it often felt like the floor of the arena was just dropping away. That track is a true test of the musicality of a subwoofer system. If you can hear individual notes you've got a great setup. 

Mang... I've yet to hear that demo.... 

• Like 1

Scored Yessongs and Fragile on cee dee yesterday or the day before... it all runs together.  lol  I think I have nice vinyl Yessongs or maybe cee dee but have yet to play and add to my personal collection.  I know I've somewhat recently acquired 90125 but have yet to play. Ugh. And did score a decent little Velodyne sub for a song that should add quite a bit of bottom end to my Heresies or Tannoys but may try to sell or consign to raise some cash.  Kind of heavy to ship.  Need to hook it up to try it out.  Got it from local mission.  Retired EE checks out their electronics to verify in working order.