Integrated amp for RP-250F

TivoUser

Hi all!

I've been using the reference series for a number of years now and I've been very pleased. Recently, I replaced a pair of RF-52 and an RC-52 with a pair of RP-250Fs and an RP-250C -- the system also has a pair of RS-42iis and a PSB SubSeries 300. I'm driving the RP-250Fs with a Marantz SR6007.

I have a couple of high quality 2 channel sources -- a Schiit Gungnir and a Rega RP40 w/ 2M Black. I've been considering getting an integrated amp w/ HT bypass for the 2 channel sources, using the AVR only for multichannel sources and video. I've narrowed the amps down to the Marantz PM-8005 and the Parasound Halo Integrated. The Halo is about twice the price of the PM-8005, but critically for me, has a subwoofer bypass option, with both LPF and HPF crossovers when using the preamp.

The Parasound has way, way more power output than needed for the 250Fs of course. Ignoring the power rating, is the Parasound way overkill for the RP-250Fs? Or will they scale fairly well with the better amp?

TivoUser,

Welcome to the forum.

I've been considering getting an integrated amp w/ HT bypass for the 2 channel sources, using the AVR only for multichannel sources and video. I've narrowed the amps down to the Marantz PM-8005 and the Parasound Halo Integrated. The Halo is about twice the price of the PM-8005, but critically for me, has a subwoofer bypass option, with both LPF and HPF crossovers when using the preamp.

I think your two choices of integrated amps are good ones, even though one is much more $$$ than the other.

The Parasound has way, way more power output than needed for the 250Fs of course. Ignoring the power rating, is the Parasound way overkill for the RP-250Fs? Or will they scale fairly well with the better amp?

No overkill at all, just headroom. :D

Bill 

you could get the marinate with extended warranty for much cheaper on accesories4less.com. i can't imagine forking over 2,500$ for a 2 channel integrated when the speakers were only 1/4th of the price. but i am also not near into 2 channel as others. how are you liking the reference premier over your old 52's? i think the premiere's are sweet for music. i didn't have the 250 but the 260 and 280 for a period of a few months. then i stumbled upon the palladiums and dove straight in. 

• Like 1

No overkill at all, just headroom. :D

:) I just don't want to overspend given that I'm not planning on moving past the RP-250Fs for a long time.

you could get the marinate with extended warranty for much cheaper on accesories4less.com. i can't imagine forking over 2,500$ for a 2 channel integrated when the speakers were only 1/4th of the price. but i am also not near into 2 channel as others. how are you liking the reference premier over your old 52's? i think the premiere's are sweet for music. i didn't have the 250 but the 260 and 280 for a period of a few months. then i stumbled upon the palladiums and dove straight in. 

A $2,500 amp for $800 speakers is my big hangup.

I don't know, maybe it is money wiser spent to buy an MM7055 power amp to pair the the SR6007 and forget the 2-channel separation. Or perhaps just be content with SR6007 as-is.

I really like the RP-250Fs! I wanted to move up to at least the 260s if not 280s but I just don't have the space for them. The only reason I upgraded was because the old RC-52 was an inch too wide for my new cabinet. I moved the old speakers to the basement system and freed up some old Infnity speakers for a relative.

Palladiums are gorgeous! Maybe one day, when my kids grow out of running toys in to the speaker cabinets. :)

The avr that you have is good and you may not be able to tell the difference in a blind test.  I have used an integrated hybird, 80 watts on my RF 7's and Forte's.  I listen to more music from the avr compared to the integrated but, I like using subs.  Tweenty five hundred may be a bit overkill considering the price of the speakers.

I don't know, maybe it is money wiser spent to buy an MM7055 power amp to pair the the SR6007 and forget the 2-channel separation. Or perhaps just be content with SR6007 as-is.   I really like the RP-250Fs! I wanted to move up to at least the 260s if not 280s but I just don't have the space for them. The only reason I upgraded was because the old RC-52 was an inch too wide for my new cabinet. I moved the old speakers to the basement system and freed up some old Infnity speakers for a relative.
id say save your money and find something else to spend it on or maybe one day you will have a different cabinet and have more rom for some rp-280's! 

Palladiums are gorgeous! Maybe one day, when my kids grow out of running toys in to the speaker cabinets.
ah i have had klipsch reference since my son was born. he knew by the time he was 1 year old to stay away from daddy's speakers. now he is 4 and a half. his little friends comes over and he will scream at them if they get close "HEY WATCH OUT FOR MY DADDYS SPEAKERS THEY COST ALOT!!" lol and he is consistent. so its possible to teach kids to be careful. ;)