Specs & Pics for Atmos Towers & Modules

Nismo

UPDATE: 7/16/15

Jay L has posted official specs on post #60 (page 3).

-----

Here are some initial specs I gathered for the new Reference Premiere Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers from Klipsch.

Current models include the all-in-one RP-280FA Floor Standing Tower with integrated Dolby Atmos speaker.

And, the separate upward firing RP-140SA add-on module, Klipsch is calling this an "Elevation Speaker.

The spec sheet I created below, is from available info online, (so nothing presented is officially from Klipsch),

but the provided specs below should be a fair representation of what can be expected. There is also an

RP-450CA Center channel... but at the moment, I'm not sure how that fits specifically into the Atmos configuration. 

Here are the pics:

ebzNyRW.jpg

Z2qoHHM.jpg

sExP3Tm.jpg

IKK0UVH.jpg

rYQen7w.jpg

mlo8CMO.jpg

08X5miZ.jpg

1Av9LwD.jpg

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 5

Ok,how much are these atmos speakers?

Rather early, but best I could tell estimates for MSRP:

RP-280FA: $1299

RP-140SA: $499

I'm still trying to find out what makes the new RP-450CA (Atmos Center)... different from the current RP-450C.

I was hoping (or expecting) a larger than 4" Driver for the Atmos speaker. Granted Atmos is only for surround use (& doesn't demand full range punch), but I was hoping they would be at least 6". My current add-on modules are 5-1/4" & while they do a decent job, I consider them pretty basic. The plus with Klipsch add-on modules, they are horn loaded, and for surround use...that should provide a noticeable benefit in the high range (where surrounds shine) over my existing Atmos speakers. The other benefit, they will match up well with my RF/RC/RS, so I look forward to bringing them home & adding them to my system. Seems like the wait shouldn't be too much longer.

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 2

I was hoping (or expecting) a larger than 4" Driver for the Atmos speaker. Granted Atmos is only for surround use (& doesn't demand full range punch), but I was hoping they would be at least 6". My current add-on modules are 5-1/4" & while they do a decent job, I consider them pretty basic. The plus with Klipsch add-on modules, they are horn loaded, and for surround use...that should provide a noticeable benefit in the high range (where surrounds shine) over my existing Atmos speakers. The other benefit, they will match up well with my RF/RC/RS, so I look forward to bringing them home & adding them to my system. Seems like the wait shouldn't be too much longer.

I have (4) 8" in-ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos format, which doesn't utilize the full reach of the the size of the speaker. The effects that are sent to these specific speakers are not bass heavy at all. FWIW, it does sound very good, but 6.5" would have worked just as well for me.

• Like 1

I have (4) 8" in-ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos format, which doesn't utilize the full reach of the the size of the speaker. The effects that are sent to these specific speakers are not bass heavy at all. FWIW, it does sound very good, but 6.5" would have worked just as well for me.

Look into the Jamo line, a voxx/Klipsch owned company.    

Good stuff, but for my application ceiling speakers are not the direction I'm going. I have solid wood finished ceilings... not going to start cutting holes there. Plus, I've been experiencing the upward firing modules for quite some time now & they work extremely well in my set-up. Plus, I only have 8' ceilings, & the upward firing modules have more room to disperse (with sound going up, hitting the ceiling, then falling back down). Ceiling speakers would work perfectly, but in my application they would be more direct firing, with less room to disperse. 

• Like 2

I've seen your room! That's a great space, I'm sure your room sounds killer with Atmos. I agree that the surrounds don't require the same full range as the F & C, but my (8") RS-7's have been serving surround duty for 15 years now. I was hoping the Klipsch add-on modules would be closer to those 8" drivers. I'm sure that speaker configuration & crossover settings will provide enough flexibility during setup to make the 4" modules perform seamlessly,  Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 does a great job. Adding a pair of modules up front & a pair in the rear will be great in my space.

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

Good stuff, but for my application ceiling speakers are not the direction I'm going. I have solid wood finished ceilings... not going to start cutting holes there. Plus, I've been experiencing the upward firing modules for quite some time now & they work extremely well in my set-up. Plus, I only have 8' ceilings, & the upward firing modules have more room to disperse (with sound going up, hitting the ceiling, then falling back down). Ceiling speakers would work perfectly, but in my application they would be more direct firing, with less room to disperse. 

You could look into some tasty looking acoustic sound/wall treatments, a few of those panels could save big bucks in the long run. 2' X 4' is popular and cheap, bouncing sound is a ******.

You could look into some tasty looking acoustic sound/wall treatments, a few of those panels could save big bucks in the long run. 2' X 4' is popular and cheap, bouncing sound is a ******.

With upward firing modules... you "want" the sound to bounce off the ceiling (same for the integrated floor standing towers). The audio is supposed to fire upwards, hit the ceiling & cascade down to the listener. Panels are great but not for that application (unless I misunderstood your post). 

D-upward-firing-signal_web_II.jpg

Dolby-Atmos-enabled_1.jpg

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

so these mention veneer as a finish. i wonder if they will in fact actually be veneer? the noters say ebony veneer and there isn't a single bit of veneer on them vinyl wrapped cabinet and some poly wrapped baffle. and i also wonder if this will be the successor to the rf-7ii? 

so these mention veneer as a finish. i wonder if they will in fact actually be veneer? the noters say ebony veneer and there isn't a single bit of veneer on them vinyl wrapped cabinet and some poly wrapped baffle. and i also wonder if this will be the successor to the rf-7ii? 

Pretty sure the Towers have veneer. However the add-on modules do not. From the Presser:

The RP-280FA and RP-450CA are available in a walnut or black real wood veneer, while the

RP-140SA is available in a brushed black polymer veneer finish. Removable cloth-woven grilles

attach magnetically for an elegant transition from powerful showstopper to discrete performance

piece.

---------- 

Doubtful the towers are replacements for the RF-7II.  Two different products---the new Atmos Towers & the RF-7II are targeted towards 2 different customers with 2 different needs. The new RP-280FA has dual 8" & 1" tweeter.... that's tough to compete with dual 10's & 1.75 of the RF-7II.

Edited by Nismo

Give me Walnut VENEER RP-260FA (matching walnut RP-460CA would also be nice) or give me Martin Logan!

Heck, give me a sealed, Walnut VENEER 15" subwoofer while you are at it!

As long as they're giving them away... I'll take what your having. Que Meg Ryan.

• Like 1